PDA

View Full Version : Newb here

bigzx12r
10-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Hello all. New to the gun scene, been wanting one for a while but too broke to afford one. Long story short, my cousin in PA owes me some money and wants to pay with a WASR 10/63. I shot it everytime I went to visit so I'm sure it doesn't have the normal WASR problems. My problem is that I live in NY and have been told that the AK with threaded barrel and bayo lug are illegal here. If this is true, can the bayo lug just be ground off to make it legal?

O.S.O.K.
10-19-2011, 09:01 PM
First off, :welcome: to the board!

I believe that yes, you can grind the lug off and permanantly affix the brake to the muzzle and be in compliance.

But I will let you hear from NY residents about this as I am going from memory and that's dangerous.... ;)

The Romanian WASR 10-63 is actually a nice variation - I have one myself. They are worth around $400 if you're wondering.

We have a member named Krupski that lives in up state NY that can answer your state legality question with certainty.

ETA: Here you go: http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYSL.pdf read that - it should tell you exactly.

bigzx12r
10-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the help OSOK.

imanaknut
10-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

I agree that New York doesn't believe in the US constitution and only pre-ban (Bush the first) AK variants are legal with the "evil features". Since the WASR is post-ban, it is sad but you will have to remove the bayo lug ears and either silver solder or tack weld the muzzle brake to the rifle.

Signman01
10-23-2011, 09:57 AM
It's crazy how the NY government officials ( and every other non-constitutional abiding state for that matter) come up with the rules of what would make the weapon compliant. Are they trying to appease far left Libs that don't know any better or do they really think that these compliance mods will do anything to lessen the overall effectiveness of the weapon?

I'm sorry. It just struck me funny. Good luck with your new AK!

El Laton Caliente
10-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Wecome to the board. All I know is the pre-bans are legal there... mags are a problem also.

O.S.O.K.
10-23-2011, 10:17 AM
It's crazy how the NY government officials ( and every other non-constitutional abiding state for that matter) come up with the rules of what would make the weapon compliant. Are they trying to appease far left Libs that don't know any better or do they really think that these compliance mods will do anything to lessen the overall effectiveness of the weapon?

I'm sorry. It just struck me funny. Good luck with your new AK!

The reason that it is so stupid is that it is part of an overall strategy. It's one of the incremental steps towards a complete ban. It doesn't make sense but they got it implemented and then will use that as a political "beach head" of sorts for the next law which will be more like "no removable magazines, etc.".

O.S.O.K.
10-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Wecome to the board. All I know is the pre-bans are legal there... mags are a problem also.

Yes, only 10 rounders IIRC. No high caps.

bigzx12r
10-24-2011, 02:09 AM
I believe we can have high caps as long as they are pre-ban. I will have to double check. I found a local gunsmith who is going to make it "compliant". Again,thanks for all the input.
Yes, only 10 rounders IIRC. No high caps.

Schuetzenman
10-24-2011, 06:42 AM
I believe we can have high caps as long as they are pre-ban. I will have to double check. I found a local gunsmith who is going to make it "compliant". Again,thanks for all the input.

Yes, I believe you are correct. 30 round mags are OK if they predate 1994 Clinton era ban. If it's an origianl Russin, Yugoslav, Romanian, Hungarian, East German etc. steel mag it probably is made before those dates. None of these mags will have a date of manufacture on them.

Izzy
11-09-2011, 10:02 PM
AFAIK bulgarian waffle circle 10 mage COULD be preban too ( pre 1994) I remember them being available before the federal AWB that sunseted not long ago.

aim surplus has old steel commie mags at a fair price btw.

Partisan1983
11-10-2011, 01:43 AM
I would bet all bakelite mags are preban too.