PDA

View Full Version : Campfire Coffee

old Grump
10-19-2011, 10:06 PM
The old dented and fire scorched coffee pot is on the fire, grounds are in the percolator and its almost stiff enough to hold a spoon upright. Hotcakes in the frying pan and the bacon is sitting in the covered dish. You'd better get it quick before the dog finds it.

Maple syrup in the crock pot and Honey in the glass jar, take your pick. It's a new day and a new pot of Folgers, not fancy but it will make your hair grow and your legs dance through the morning chores. Somebody split the wood and put water on to heat up for washing the dishes, we got things to do before the sun gets much higher.

It's a wonderful day, the Burr oak trees have changed color but stubbornly hang onto their leaves, the Birch trees turned yellow and dropped theirs in the wind last night. The Sumac is so red it almost hurts your eyes to look at them because of the contrast with all the brown muted foliage around them.

Grab your tin mug and pour you some jitter bean juice, lets get this thread going.

Hedning
10-20-2011, 06:00 AM
Ah... fresh coffee....

BT... If I ship some meat using USPS express you might have it without maggots in just 4 days.. I could just put "dead sweed" on he label. That way it should make it through the customs, and it would explain the smell.

7 coworkers and myself went to the gocart track yesterday. Spend the night in Oslo. Than was more or less a total disaster. 4 sweeds and 4 norwegians trying to get first. Half of us got the black flag and had to make a pit stop. Got damn it, those tracks are so narrow you HAVE to use your bumbers and fists to pass. Cant see why that should be a problem as long as we are having fun. Worst part... a got damn sweed won both heats.

October has been very nice this year. Cold and sunny with a clear blue sky. Perfect for hunting. Hopefully I can go for a little deer hunt soon. But I recon work and all piles up and makes it impossible. Been a busy year, I hope it stays that way. Got to find room for a USA trip though.

Tried the Walker yet OG?

old Grump
10-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Had to go to a store about 40 miles away and order the right sized balls, still waiting on them. They grossly underestimated the time it would take them to be delivered. Time to get a few molds for the 3 sizes I use and just make my own. It sat on my desk for 2 weeks ready to be loaded up but now it's back in storage till I actually get them.

Why do Swedes spoil after they die and Norwegians don't?

It's almost impossible to convince a Norwegian he is dead but Swedes get it right away.

kathy
10-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Yea the maggots may be pretty nutritious, supposedly better for you than the meat. But no thanks.

Im almost to the end of week 2 on this super low carb diet, and I feel smarter. It may be just a hallucination but I seem to be accomplishing more with less struggle... especially the thinking kind of work. The readings on my meter have been as promised 70s-low 80s fasting and not above 100 even after eating in a week.

Soon I can add back some different varieties of foods. I got coconut oil in the mail today, not bad... the diet says to use it instead of butter or margarine.

Anyway medically retired son and his wife are due to arrive this weekend. It will be nice to have them around, they plan on living here. All sons but one will be right in the neighborhood. :coffee:

old Grump
10-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Might have to take a closer look at the diet I'm supposed to be on If you are doing so good by behaving and following yours. Problem is 6 decades of bad habits is harder to overcome then giving up smoking and drinking was.

I'm happy to see you are gathering the clan around you, I wish I could but it isn't going to happen. I hope there retired son is doing well, I remember the saga when the issue first came up.

You all have a real good weekend.

btcave
10-21-2011, 11:51 PM
What is the meaning of life...

Family. You will find it there. It don't have to be blood either. Make your life revolve around family. Insert good friends as well, espescially if family ain't possible.

It's the only answer I keep finding.

I'm glad you're going to have most of your boys near by Kathy.

btcave
10-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Hunting deer today. It's forked horn or better to legally take a deer during general rifle season. Today I saw a buck with two small spikes, an 8 point bull elk at 50 meters (he had some friends in the timber with him, but he was the only one I could see clearly), and later that day a coyote paying me no mind 30 yards up the trail with his nose to the dirt. Great nature walk, but still came up empty. Heard a shot not too far from where I ran into the elk herd. Drizzled on me all morning. Feet stayed dry though!

kathy
10-23-2011, 07:07 AM
Happy hunting BTcave, Im happy for son still in Colorado. He is really enjoying life there. He loves the Air Force and his new bride.

OG yes diet is everything with DB. Look at the foods on the doc I sent you, you wont go hungry and it can be delicious break out your crock pot... chicken soup chili and stew are the main dishes Im cooking. It drives the poor dogs out of their little minds to smell something yummy cooking all day. My BS has been on average in the 80s low 90s all week.

Here is something interesting, look this over closely. It will help you figure out which foods to avoid.

http://www.mendosa.com/DiabetesAndDiet.pdf

Hedning
10-26-2011, 04:45 PM
blah..... work is highly over rated.... it ruins a lot of spare time. Thats for sure...

Nothing new over here. Moose hunt is over and the freezer I bought is FULL, thats about it.

Black powder competition again on saturday. Think Ill bring an old Win 1886 and blast away like Zeb Macahan and add a couple farts as a grand finale.

I hope your deer hunting ends up with a clean shot in the end BT. You should have some tender meat in the freezer when the winter arrives.... oh shit. That reminds me.. I have a salted moose heart hangin outside. Wonder if its still there. Damn crows are everywhere if you dont wave them away with a shotgun once in a while.

How is that Walker project going OG? And Kathy, when do you hire me as your chef?

old Grump
10-26-2011, 07:41 PM
How is that Walker project going OG? And Kathy, when do you hire me as your chef? Been a month and still waiting for my balls to show up. I did do some black powder with the ROA yesterday. I think I posted it on here somewhere. Look in the general firearms section for it. Going squirrel hunting tomorrow if it doesn't rain on me and I am going to use it for my squirrel gun. If you don't see me posting again you will know that the game warden didn't like my choice of guns.
:coffee:

Hedning
10-27-2011, 08:28 AM
Ahh. So you are bringing that 10 gauge for them big rascals. Be careful, they might jump up and bite your knee and then hide in your beard.

old Grump
10-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Nope bringing the Ruger Old Army. Not to worry about my beard, I just trimmed it this morning and it will be hard for them to hide in it. Before I trimmed it they could have hid in it easily. Now that you mention the 10 gauge I haven't shot it for awhile, guess what I will shoot this afternoon.

old Grump
10-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Uff Da, just came in from outside after shooting a 22 match on another forum and I am fried, no 10 gauge today, nothing more potent than a squirt gun till tomorrow at the earliest. Stupid weather is killing me. 29 this morning, 52 this afternoon, one minute its cloudy and sprinkling and the next minute the sun is so bright I can't hardly see. North of me they are getting rain mixed with snow, at least I dodged that bullet. I think this is what they call Norwegian weather, if you don't like it wait a minute.

kathy
10-31-2011, 12:52 PM
LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rAf_8IchPik

Good morning, no power at my house for days... the dogs are more upset than anyone, they will have to miss their shows during the day while I work. :coffee:

old Grump
10-31-2011, 06:35 PM
LOL:
Good morning, no power at my house for days... the dogs are more upset than anyone, they will have to miss their shows during the day while I work. :coffee:Bummer, I didn't think of you getting caught up in the power shortage. Are you staying warm? I can handle dark, listening to battery radio and cooking on Coleman stove but getting cold with no way to heat the house is a major downer. I hope you are alright.

kathy
11-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks Old Grump, Im ok. Its my beta fish who is the most anxious to get power, I cant heat him and I know he likes it above 32 degrees.

I bundle up and ive been warm enough, wool socks are the best...the last couple of days nights have been in the 20s. But starting tonight it will be a balmy 38 or so, heat wave!

My new Daughter in law who just came from Texas is a little shocked. She brought orchids, I dont think they are going to make it. We will get her more once they get settled a small indoor greenhouse will keep them toasty.

:gum:

old Grump
11-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks Old Grump, Im ok. Its my beta fish who is the most anxious to get power, I cant heat him and I know he likes it above 32 degrees.

I bundle up and ive been warm enough, wool socks are the best...the last couple of days nights have been in the 20s. But starting tonight it will be a balmy 38 or so, heat wave!

My new Daughter in law who just came from Texas is a little shocked. She brought orchids, I dont think they are going to make it. We will get her more once they get settled a small indoor greenhouse will keep them toasty.

:gum:Yeah Beta is probably a goner, a regular aquarium with a tank heater is nice but no electric means no pump and no heater and no light. Unless the beta is young and healthy look for ich to appear as soon as he warms up again, you might want to try dropping a multi vitamin in his replacement water and giving him a little dose of that every time you change his water out. A pinch of uniodized salt would help him get over the shock and it helps to fight the ich.

kathy
11-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Yeah Beta is probably a goner, a regular aquarium with a tank heater is nice but no electric means no pump and no heater and no light. Unless the beta is young and healthy look for ich to appear as soon as he warms up again, you might want to try dropping a multi vitamin in his replacement water and giving him a little dose of that every time you change his water out. A pinch of uniodized salt would help him get over the shock and it helps to fight the ich.

Thanks! Power came back on last night. The Beta is so far still alive, but he wont eat. The dogs are enjoying the warmth and their shows again.

Hedning
11-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Loosing power for days eh?.... thats what we call "tingenes iboende faanskap". Lets see if OG can translate that. I dont know if I can myself.

I must have missed like 100 cops of coffee. I know that you can apply for a CC license OG. Am I correct? I guess you couldn`t care less as you carry your arsenal arround your property all day long. The squirrels... how are they doing? Still alive and laughing at ya?

I changed to winter tires today. The ground is starting to freeze. You never know when the first snowfall hits you like a ton of stone. Mounted two new xenon lights on my truck too, so king winter can suck my smelly socks.

Im going to the western parts tomorrow so both tires and lights are needed. I hope the mountain crossing is open. There has been a few blizzards up there allready, but I think its open tomorrow. Might be the last deer hunting trip this year. Still two bucks out there that we can put in our freezer.

Im turning 41 in 14 days or so. And it makes me cheerfull. 41 sounds younger than 40 to me so I will be a kid for a year. Oh.. and guess what OG. You dont have to sharpen your pencils. My voice is getting better. Im not Pavarotti by far, but Im not like an anaconda either.

Dina and five of her friends had a Halloween party on sunday.... Iv been at some darn noisy places in my life, but those small girls allmost killed me. If you ignited two pounds of blackpowder 3" from your nose that would have sounded like Jennifer Aniston breaking winds compared to those girls. And when the "candy bar" opened all hell broke loose. Cute creatures.... Beside that everything is quiet over here.

How is the deer hunting business these days BT?

Have a great one everybody

old Grump
11-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks! Power came back on last night. The Beta is so far still alive, but he wont eat. The dogs are enjoying the warmth and their shows again.30% water change. 1/3 tsp of uniodized salt and leave him alone for a few days then try feeding him. It's in shock and his system is shut down so there is no way he can eat. A week without food won't hurt him. It's just a wait and see game now, unfortunately if he was mature when you bought him you have no idea how old he is or how hardy. After going through a mess of them I finally bought young ones, didn't have a clue to what color they would be and dropped them in my regular aquarium one per aquarium. Much better as long as they weren't with fish they could bully like mollies or baby angelfish.

Norski, glad we can hear you now. "tingenes iboende faanskap" if it's spelled Faenskap it would be on the order of inherent the devil. Faanskap is not in my books and I can't find it on the net either. 6 preteen girls in one house having fun, you deserve a medal.

No squirrels, it has been raining, raining and more rain, up north of me where I used to come from and a lot of my relatives still live it's snowing so I guess I prefer the rain. The two nice days we had David and I worked outside in the yard trying to clean things up before we get hit. This weekend I am going to get some wood and he doesn't know it yet but he is going to build his snow shelter so he doesn't have to wait outside in the weather for the school bus. It won't be fancy but it will be his labor putting it together. 16th birthday today so he is getting up there in age and its time he learned a little more tool handling and construction technique.

btcave
11-04-2011, 10:53 PM
Three point buck (6 point buck for you east of the Rockies). Shot from my back deck with a 6.8 SPC hand loaded with Sierra Pro Hunter bullets. It walked 10 feet and dropped. Now to field dress it, hang it and skin it. I've got a long night ahead of me. I have to close down the lookout tower tomarrow as well.

old Grump
11-05-2011, 06:05 AM
All that woods walking and then you shoot it in your back yard, I love it, congratulations. :wootrock:

Hope you get some pictures when you close the tower, how is your back by the way, recovered fully or still getting those days when it talks to you?

My Uncle had to take a day off from hunting when it was his turn to do camp cook chores. He had stepped outside to empty the dishwater and saw a little buck at the end of the driveway. Stepped into the porch and grabbed one of the kids 30-30's and 'pow' meat in the pot. Literally.

Nobody else got a deer that week until the last 3 days, then most everybody was filling a tag. I think they were just getting desperate and decided not to fall asleep on their stand like I often do. I think running out of beer and Brandy might have helped their hunting too. :coffee:

Mark Ducati
11-05-2011, 07:28 AM
I've got one of the back pack Jet Boil systems with the "french press" accessory...

I usually just boil water on the camping stove, dump water over coffee and press... I've found that those little prepackaged "Keurig" or "Tassimo" coffee's are perfect for a single cup.

old Grump
11-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Welcome to the kitchen Mark, you oughta drop by more often. Next time bring bagels. :smile:

kathy
11-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Hello Mark, good morning and thanks for bringing us bagels!

BT Ive got my crock pot ready for venison stew, or maybe its good cooked like pulled pork with some delicious BBQ sauce...:wootrock:

Hedning Im glad your voice is back, little girls can be very noisy. Its amazing such a big sound can come out of such a small girl especially when they are in packs. It was very depressing to have no power, but a wake up call to think about getting a wood stove.

The stores were gouging... jacking up the price of kerosene and propane. But downed trees were EVERYWHERE begging to be removed. A chainsaw and a truck and we could be in fat city. My newly retired Army son is seriously thinking about getting into this.

OG The fish is back to his old self, thanks for the advise. He is dark blue again and ready to eat. I think he was a baby when I got him. He is excited to see me at feeding time so I think he will pull through.

old Grump
11-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Kathy I'm glad you got everything back to more or less normal.

My North Carolina brother makes an awful lot of his spare change after hurricanes and tropical storms doing clean up. His background is construction heavy equipment operator and plumbing carpenter so he gets a lot of rehab work to.

#3 Sisters oldest son is a DJ and Martial Arts instructor for his full time jobs but he used to work for a tree trimming service and it makes a windfall for him too. Most people find that just having a chainsaw doesn't equate to knowing what to do.

If your boy can handle a chainsaw and has a truck and safety equipment he should be good for a month or better. Good thing it happend now and not after the 1st of December when the weather can get dicey back to back.

kathy
11-07-2011, 05:46 AM
I just noticed your tagline... NICE and sadly true.

Im sure we will be in the dark again when the ice storm season hits. A potbelly stove is in the works, also maybe a propane heater that is installed on the wall. I may aso see how much it would cost to get natural gas run to the house.

Local election day tomorrow, I will be so glad when thats over. Never again for that, too many "personalities" to make it all go down the drain. Time would have been better spent with grandkids.

old Grump
11-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Burned out already? Sounds like you need some feet up time with hot chocolate and little red haired munchkins to read stories to you. Always good to get close to the little ones, nothing will ground you and make life worth living again then munchkins.

kathy
11-07-2011, 08:14 PM
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/uploads/126/Veterans_day_parade_2011.jpg

This is what we did yesterday, Im the one with the kids. :thumbsup:

old Grump
11-07-2011, 09:51 PM
When do you get your election results, same day or have to wait for a long count.

Are you teaching the young ones to read by giving them campaign signs to work on? :proudusa:

Hedning
11-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Damned deer... wouldnt get closer than 600m. I saw one barn size buck. But only in my beams from my truck. The weather god showed me his ass too. Im glad you had better luck BT.

Received any balls for the Walker yet OG?.... oh, and how many days to springtime?

By the way... Rock Island got a new auction in 25 days. They got an original Walker up for sale... just 300000-600000 dineros. Serial number 8, excellent condition....http://rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/54/lid/3170... I know this is the gun you want OG.

old Grump
11-09-2011, 05:23 AM
Will check on balls this weekend till then no joy.

Sorry about the deer old buddy, guess you will just be forced to eat Moose, I know how that will upset you. My season is still a week away.

It is 131 days, 19 hours, 54 minutes, 5 seconds to Spring as I write this in case you really wanted to know. :laugh:

I would be afraid to touch that Walker at that price..................however if I ever got it in my hands you know I would shoot it. They don;t call me a heathen for nothing.

kathy
11-09-2011, 06:32 AM
I won...

http://www.mycitizensnews.com/2011/11/beacon-falls-election-results-2/

Hedning
11-09-2011, 06:40 AM
Wouldnt it be great to be a millionaire, buy it and then use it at every MLAIC competition arround. I know a few collectors that would have died on the spot. I got a rifle that we call "kassepipe". Not as rare as the Walker, but its concidered to be a national treasure. Made in the 1740`s. I used it at a MLAIC competition here. Jesus, some guys wanted to kill me. I got kind of mad and told them if this rifle has survived the last 270 years it will survive me too. Its not like shooting an MG42. I shoot 50 rounds a year with that one, maximum.

Im into the fall block rifles these days. Interesting designs.

Kathy.... does this means that you are going for the White House? Remember me when you need a kitchen slave...

kathy
11-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Kathy.... does this means that you are going for the White House? Remember me when you need a kitchen slave...

No plans for a WH run.. LOL But on to defeat Connecticut's own Communist!

http://www.trevorloudon.com/2011/09/rep-rosa-delauro-still-hangin-with-the-connecticut-communists/

old Grump
11-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Board of Assessment Appeals
Kathy Brown* (R): 989; Carolyn McMahon (D): 848:clap::thumbspbig::bouncing-boobies:oops, I meant :salute:

kathy
11-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Board of Assessment Appeals
Kathy Brown* (R): 989; Carolyn McMahon (D): 848:clap::thumbspbig::bouncing-boobies:oops, I meant :salute:

Thanks, who would have thought I was popular. Now to get Wayne and my Son elected.... the site has come a long way.

http://waynewinsleyforcongress.com/

btcave
11-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Elk hunting for the next week. Wish me luck.

old Grump
11-19-2011, 01:45 AM
Elk hunting for the next week. Wish me luck.Are you using the same 6.8, if you are maybe you better invite the elk down to your yard. It seems to work better from your porch. :biggrina: Walk slow, enjoy the scenery, shoot straight and bring plenty of good hot coffee. Mostly have fun and come back safe.

Hey Hedning hows the weather. We had 2" of snow, then lots of wind and rain for a week. Now we have nice clear dry days with temps going from -6 C to +13C. I will be in the woods tomorrow and I hope we see something. I want nephew David to get a shot at a deer in the worst way. I have been training him all summer for this and now it is time to produce.

btcave
11-19-2011, 02:05 AM
I'm using the M14 to hunt with. I got the Model 99e .300 savage when I get tired of lugging the weight around.

Forgot about the lookout pics.

Here you go.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4961/dsc00466z.jpg

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1160/dsc00464q.jpg

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/4942/dsc00465o.jpg

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2905/dsc00472d.jpg

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6495/dsc00476dw.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6686/dsc00481vi.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5432/dsc00484w.jpg

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8264/dsc00478gm.jpg

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/483/dsc00483u.jpg

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/5644/dsc00470l.jpg

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1369/dsc00469j.jpg

old Grump
11-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the pictures, that looks lovely....the lady too. :coffee:

I got ready to go last night and today got rained out. Tomorrow is another day but it's going to be a lot colder. Oh well. If it had been snow instead of rain I wouldn't mind the cold as much but we take what we are dealt with.

kathy
11-22-2011, 10:06 PM
BTcave that place is spectacular! I love that stove, it must come in really handy. What a view.

Wayne was asked to write an article for Human events/Guns and Patriots!

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=47547

kathy
11-25-2011, 11:00 AM
I hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving! We thanked God for our blessings then proceeded to pig out.

Enjoy your leftovers!

old Grump
11-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Thanksgiving at the home with mom and thanksgiving dinner here will be tomorrow with nephews doing the bachelor thing. One of them has a birthday so it will be a double celebration.

btcave
11-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Happy Thanksgiving all!

I walked into a small group of elk 2 days ago. 4 cows and a young one. Two others in the thick brush below the rest of the group didn't show themselves until they spooked away. Nothing legal to shoot. They didn't bust out hard, but they left in a hurry nun the less. I guess I need to work on some stalking skills. I only got within 50 meters and the trees were kinda thick.

old Grump
11-25-2011, 11:23 PM
I'd say you done good getting that close considering most of the observation, listening smelling advantage is on their side. All I saw today was a squirrel and it was out of range for my 22. I was looking for deer but other than the wind nothing was moving in the woods. Dark and dreary all day from heavy cloud cover and tomorrow rain, next day snow. Trouble is that's the last day of gun season and then its black powder for me. That lasts for 2 weeks then an anterless deer season for another 2 weeks. I'm getting a long season but no hunters in my woods moving deer around, only heard one shot today and that was a mile away by the road.

kathy
11-27-2011, 07:42 AM
I hope you guys get some game. We tried to go shooting yesterday at the range near by, it was too crowded and the wait was hours. My oldest son only had a short time before he had to get back to his young-ins so we were denied also.

Working this morning, but the extra will be nice. :coffee:

MJ1
11-27-2011, 03:28 PM
44 years ago I had turkey in a place called DakTo and today 44 years ago i was in the 71st Med Pleiku and spent my 21st birthday in hospital. I'm greatful for every day between then and now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/1d8ea3ce.jpg

old Grump
11-27-2011, 05:39 PM
44 years ago I had turkey in a place called DakTo and today 44 years ago i was in the 71st Med Pleiku and spent my 21st birthday in hospital. I'm greatful for every day between then and now.
Had to check and today 42 years ago I was doing 21 straight days of fire missions off the coast supporting you guys, then Christmas day I had Shore Patrol duty in Hong Kong and on New Years Eve I had Shore Patrol duty in Olongapo. Then back to the grind, I'm glad I don't do that anymore.

MJ1
11-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Had to check and today 42 years ago I was doing 21 straight days of fire missions off the coast supporting you guys, then Christmas day I had Shore Patrol duty in Hong Kong and on New Years Eve I had Shore Patrol duty in Olongapo. Then back to the grind, I'm glad I don't do that anymore.

Thanks for it Grump. My family and friends did every kind of service or support. Those that didn't I have no problem with and all still today are my friends. We remember those that did with some class. I'm actualy proud of the class of '65.
those that didn't serve still supported us individually as friends. If you didn't want to be there I/we didn't want you on my/our left. It does not mean they don't care about me or I them. Bless them all.

btcave
11-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks to you both! Truly.

Sorry you had to work Kathy.

old Grump
11-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks to you both! Truly.

Sorry you had to work Kathy.You too bt, we know where you been. Now you are officially in the boogered up veteran class and it's a shame you are forced to live in those mountains and have to hunt for entertainment. Sigh, okay, okay I'm jealous after seeing the pictures you posted. I like my little corner of the world but it's like vanilla ice cream vs a double chocolate sundae.

Kathy, you might as well work since you can't shoot. Now you can buy double the ammo for when you do get out into the fresh air and get to exercise your gun. In the meantime enjoy the :coffee:

kathy
11-29-2011, 08:21 AM
My Deepest and Most heartfelt THANK YOU to All of You for your Service and Sacrifice. Thank GOD for you all and WELCOME HOME!

Welcome to the coffee room MJ1! Is that your bartender? She looks talented LOL

We will have to shoot when its snowing, we went Saturday when it was nice out and the wait was hours. We didnt stay. That range is close and super inexpensive and Active Duty Military and LEO can shoot for free... but everyone in the state was there.

We need a place like you have BTCave...

MJ1
11-30-2011, 04:22 PM
I was Tequila tasting while I'm here in the US for the holidays and the kind girl let me sample severl kinds. Only in Las Vegas,,,LOL.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/a16500bf.jpg

kathy
12-01-2011, 09:32 AM
MJ1, that was really nice of her!

Everyone have a Fabulous Day! :coffee:

Hedning
12-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Hello guys. Been a while since I had some coffee. New faces too...

MJ1, Im the foreigner in here, so if you see some funny phrases its just my english with stink.

BT... that hut, would you trade it for a Norwegian Kammerlader? Holy smoke...

So the squirrel was out of range eh OG? 5 yards was it? I told you to bring that 10 gauge.

Norway is behaving like a bitch these days. West coast got hammered by 8 hurricanes in less than a week. 4 people killed by waves. Waves between 65 and 98 feet. Two of the lost ones were members of a movie crew. They wanted to make some good photage of the sea for the movie. I feel sorry for them and the ones left behind, but I cant say that Im impressed by their brains.

I was supposed to go deer hunting over there this weekend. Along with my dad and a few friends. I told my dad that there is no way we can hunt deer in a decent way with this weather. He says we have to go because its our last chance to go before X-mas. We kind of had an argument. Driving 9 hours just to get beat to pieces by wind, rain, snow and flying cats just aint my cup of tea in the hunting department. I might concider it if Sandra Bullock was waiting for me on top of the mountain, just might. Hell, if you should be so lucky to see a deer the sling would probably blow arround your neck and strangle you.... Im staying home. Period... Sandra Bullock is Texan, right?...

Have you guys made a wishlist for X-mas? Little one sure has. Not that long this year, just 12 items. She will get one of them from Mona and I, but somehow I recon grandparents are going to spoil her. Whats the deal with grandparents and grandchildren? My parents didnt spoil me, but they spoil my daughter for sure.

"Ole the Norwegian went into the Sports Bar arround 9:58PM. Sat down beside a swedish blond, turned on the TV to see the 10 PM news.

The news reporter was covering a story about a man sitting on top of a building, ready to jump.. Blondy looked at him and asked, do you think he`ll jump? Ole said, sure, I bet you he`ll jump. Well ok said blondy, I bet he wount jump. 20 dollars.... at the same moment as she puts the money on the desk the man jumps and makes a perfect hawk dive into the pavement... blondy: oh crap, well, right should be right. Here is your money... Ole smiled and said he couldnt take the money as he had seen it on the 5 O`clock news, I knew he was going to jump he said.... Blondy replied, so did I, but I didnt think he would jump again..."

old Grump
12-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Only got 3 days in during our 10 day deer hunt because of weather too. Squirrel was around 60 yards, I don't think the 10 gauge would have been appropriate.

Sorry you got stormed out of hunting but glad you were smart enough to stay warm and dry.

I've seen pictures of Mona and of Sandra Bullock. Keep what you have, you have the better of the two. I on the other hand am single...:zwinker12:

All I want for myself for Christmas is to get through the winter healthy and to be able to hit my garden early this coming spring.

It is only 109 days, 6 hours, 57 minutes, 27 seconds from now as I write this in case you were wondering.

I have a joke for you but I will have to send it by E-mail or you will have to go to the Road House. Not the kind of thing I want to put in the kitchen here.

kathy
12-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Hedning Grandparents must spoil, its how we are wired... as parents we wanted to spoil but couldn't since we were being the responsible ones.

I hope you enjoy great health OG, I want to get garden tips from you when we are both gardening at the same time. Im still getting carrots from my greenhouse but everything else except the parsley has succumbed to the cold. I cant wait to grow pickle cucumbers. The pickles I canned a really good.. what fun.

old Grump
12-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Sigh, cold, windy and rain with ice all day long and now its going to snow all night. I was hoping for a little walk in the woods with smoke pole but looks like maybe tomorrow if I am lucky or next weekend for my last chance at an anterless deer.

Really really looking forward to next growing season.

It is 107 days, 3 hours, 20 minutes, 55 seconds till SPRING!

kathy
12-03-2011, 09:54 PM
I hope you get one OG.

Hedning
12-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Ooooofffa.... That white thing came in hard today. Snowflakes as big as John Candys ass...may he rest in peace.

Besides that, nothing new. Well, my Dodge Ram let me down earlier this week. Got to be a broken wire in the injector wiring harness. Runs constantly on 4 cyls, and the injectors are fine. They got checked today. Hopefully I can fix it before X-mas. If not, a lot more aquavit for me.

Merry x-mas everybody

kathy
12-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Merry Christmas to you Hedning and everyone else still lurking out there...

OG did the deer get you? Sit Rep?

btcave
12-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Merry Christmas to all my GN friends! Sorry about the Dodge Hedning. I'm sure OG got that deer Kathy. It took one look at the old goat and fell over dead out of fright!

Going to a Christmas "Dining Out" tomorrow night with the infantry company I retired from. They were gracious enough to invite me and my wife. We will be dressed to the nine's. I'll post pics of me and the misses. I won't be wearing my uniform. I bought a suit for the occasion. I can't fit into the dress uniform pants anymore. It's been 15 years since I could. I can't wait to see some old friends.

old Grump
12-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Cold, windy, no snow and nephew caught a cold so we missed the last day of the season. No joy, if I eat game this winter it will have to be rabbit. Neighbors who have a large clan hunting and almost always pick up half a dozen deer got skunked too so it wasn't just me. Wisconsin harvest was up 6% from last year but down 5% in south west Wisconsin. The two closest deer check in stations were down farther than that. I haven't seen a deer in my field since August, seems like years. That is the bad news, the good news is since I am in the CWD zone I still get till the 11th to try one more time.

May have trouble getting into the woods, Saturday nephew has a weight lifting tournament and Sunday he has a concert with his choir.

101 days, 3 hours, 10 minutes, 42 seconds till Spring.

Get that truck fixed little buddy, we don't need you pickling your vocal chords now that you finally got them fixed.

Hedning
12-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Sorry to hear that the deer wount come near you OG. Maybe you should dress up Mike as a hind. I would like to see some images of that.

I can asure that the vocals coming out when I ripped those got damn injectors out was nothing you would hear in the kindergarden. If there is one thing that makes me mad its vehicles that can`t make it from point A to point B. Faan i helvete.....and the damn truck is outside at a construction site. Not a good place to handle tools when the temp has dropped and all. But that`s how it is so I have to deal with it.

Have a tasty dinner BT.... Im going for one of those dinners myself tomorrow.

kathy
12-10-2011, 08:55 PM
BT its great you are attending! Pictures would be awesome.

OG darn, we are lousy with deer here... mostly in the middle of the road. They stay were they cant be hunted other than that.

We had a small bit of snow that melted right away. Im not in a holiday mood... I need to try and find the spirit so I can make it fun for the grand kids.

I feel very discouraged about the campaign against Rosa DeLauro, they are redistricting the 3rd to give her even more advantage. Ill have to move to get a new Rep....:cigarsmoking:

old Grump
12-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Sorry to hear that Kathy but that is what is wrong with the winner makes the rules law. Redistricting should be done by the court, (if they can find an objective one). This bovine organic waste of deliberately shaping the boundaries just to give an incumbent an advantage is done by both sides. It stinks no matter who does it unless a politician is completely impoverished in moral standards. Bet you can figure out why I became a Libertarian.

Wisconsin took a righteous swing towards the center and right and the state as a whole has been heavy left wing my whole life so there is hope for Connecticut too. Need to get back to that old independent streak they had when they elected Lieberman after his party dumped him and you do have a few Libertarians hanging around if you can put up with some of their less palatable ideas like pro choice. They balance that with a strict literal interpretation of the constitution.

kathy
12-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Yes that is what we need here, both major parties are guilty.

Cold here now... I cant wait until spring. For now I will plan my spring garden :coffee:

old Grump
12-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Yes that is what we need here, both major parties are guilty.

Cold here now... I cant wait until spring. For now I will plan my spring garden :coffee:Already trying to figure out where I am going to plant my parsnips. I'd like to make a permanent spot and just dig some up as I need them and leave some for seed plants.

kathy
12-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Already trying to figure out where I am going to plant my parsnips. I'd like to make a permanent spot and just dig some up as I need them and leave some for seed plants.

Two beautiful words.....

Raised Beds...

btcave
12-12-2011, 09:37 PM
So we get there and I'm informed by the First Sergeant that I'm the guest of honor. I get awarded a Meritorious Service Medal to a standing ovation. Didn't buy a drink all night as the boys bought me shot after shot of Crown Royal. I felt like crap yesterday. The grog bowl was dangerous too. It was held in a American Legion metting hall. They had a full bar with bartender in the back! My men kept hugging me all night. A really touchy feely group of infantry soldiers they are.

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/2709/diningout1.jpg

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6677/diningout3.jpg

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/8339/dsc00495r.jpg

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4062/dsc00504sua.jpg

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/9822/dsc00494zx.jpg

old Grump
12-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Two beautiful words.....

Raised Beds...Already have them reserved for beans, tomatoes and herbs. :thumbsup:

Also have a large tractor tire set up for spring for flowers but I might stick my onions in there too. In the middle of the tractor tire I set a post up for a bird house right smack dab in the middle of my yard. I'm going to try and get some of my trumpet vine seeds to grow a plant up that post and around the bird house. I got a lot of seed pods from them this year and if I am going to sow them along part of my fence to see if I can get it covered with the vines.

old Grump
12-12-2011, 09:42 PM
So we get there and I'm informed by the First Sergeant that I'm the guest of honor. I get awarded a Meritorious Service Medal to a standing ovation. Didn't buy a drink all night as the boys bought me shot after shot of Crown Royal. I felt like crap yesterday. The grog bowl was dangerous too. It was held in a American Legion metting hall. They had a full bar with bartender in the back! My men kept hugging me all night. A really touchy feely group of infantry soldiers they are.

Congratulations bt the only people I ever saw get them were officers and a couple of warrants. You done good.

btcave
12-12-2011, 09:46 PM
I miss the boys though... but not the job.

old Grump
12-12-2011, 09:50 PM
I miss the boys though... but not the job.I miss both but not where the job took me. As it was I had it easy compared to what you guys have gone through for the last 10 years.

btcave
12-12-2011, 09:58 PM
I think that was the rub. I loved it until it became REAL. When it became about the lives of my men, it became buisness and professional. The fun was eclipsed by the seriousness of our trade as we had to actually do it, not just train for it. Training had a grim reality it didn't really have back in the days when we thought the boy scouts would deploy before they ever sent a National Guard infantry battalion anywhere. Our reality changed overnight on 9/11/2001.

Being a platoon sergeant never really did it for me. I always missed being a squad leader.

old Grump
12-13-2011, 12:54 AM
Being a platoon sergeant never really did it for me. I always missed being a squad leader.Understood, that was my comfort zone too. Navy and Army Reserves.

kathy
12-13-2011, 06:59 AM
BTCave, beautiful! Thank you for putting up the photos for us.

Hedning
12-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Sounds like you had a good time BT, good for you. A good hangover just means you had a good time the day before. Usually....

I got the truck back into shape. Not sure why as the injectors were fine and I didnt find any bad wires. I even checked the ohm between the connectors and the wires of the injector harness, all good. Started it up and runs smooth. Could have been a loose nut on the pins holding down the wires on the injector. I could loosen some of them using just my fingers. I dont care as long as it is running.

Damn rain ruins the nice white carpet we got. Work is cool and easy. Mona is all over the place decorating the house for x-mas. Besides that, nothing new on this side of the Atlantic... well, we are out of butter. Jesus, rest of the world is laughing at us. Its like the world would go under if we cant make all those cockies for x-mas. Wow what a big crisis... embarrassing. Oh, and we got a new firearms law out for hearing. Rather depressing. Semiautomaitc rifles might be banned. I wish they would read and understand Benjamin Franklins famous words "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety".

Have a nice one.... dressed up Mike as a deer yet OG?

old Grump
12-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Glad your truck is running again and the women folks are having a nice time. Been reading about the great shortage. Time for all you young folks to learn how they did it in Grandma's day. http://www.joyofbaking.com/IngredientSubstitution.html

When they didn't have what the recipe called for they substituted like crazy. Good thing us men creatures aren't to fussy about what we eat.

I also ate an awful lot of shortening when I was a kid. We made our own butter but one old cow didn't produce enough for all the baking Grandma did. http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/techniquessubstitutions/a/nobutterbaking.htm

btcave
12-18-2011, 12:35 AM
Anyone got a good gluhwein recipe?

DesertDawg
12-18-2011, 12:47 AM
ok was given directions from an old grumpy man and was told to hang out here! well Im here and i hope that some of the folks I used to bs with are still around..

old Grump
12-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Anyone got a good gluhwein recipe?I found this on http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1718,153178-249199,00.html

1 1/2 liter red wine
1/2 lb. sugar
4 whole cloves
2 sticks cinnamon
6 lemon or orange slices (no seeds)

Red wine, cinnamon and cloves; bring to a boil in a glazed pot (not aluminum).
Add sugar. Keep hot and serve. A drink to get the chill out of your bones!

I'm not a wine drinker but this looks good even to me. I'm more of a hot mulled cider kind of a guy.

1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. whole allspice
1 tsp. whole cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
Dash of ground nutmeg
3 inches stick cinnamon
2 qt. apple cider
Orange slices

Put the sugar in the cider, put the rest in a muslin bag and drop it into the pot.

Bring to a hard boil, turn heat down, cover and let simmer for half an hour

Been doing this one for 40 years. It might work for your wine too.

btcave
12-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Thanks OG. I bet Hedning has one too.

PM sent to D- Dawg.

ltorlo64
12-18-2011, 11:46 AM
I miss the boys though... but not the job.

Congratulations on the MSM, that is cool. Did you just retire? Looking at you in a suit while others are in uniform and just the way your post is worded sounds like you have come to the end.

btcave
12-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Congratulations on the MSM, that is cool. Did you just retire? Looking at you in a suit while others are in uniform and just the way your post is worded sounds like you have come to the end.

Roger. Retired this year after 21 years.

ltorlo64
12-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Roger. Retired this year after 21 years.

Congratulations! Thanks for your service.

kathy
12-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Good Morning everyone.

Hope all is well, I see there were white out conditions in Albuquerque the other day. By the time that weather got here it was rain and in the mid 50s.. best not get too arrogant about it tho. We will be punished by the blizzards again, just to keep us in line.

I worked at the polls again, amazing how much can be learned about the battle to keep integrity in our system to vote. Very long tedious process but well worth it. We are linked to a bigger town in a regional school district.

We(my town) rejected the 47 MILLION dollar spending package. The larger town who will actually get to spend the money over-ruled us. Were trying to figure out how to get out of this pre-arranged marriage now.

I ate too many cookies and cake... the only danger to working the polls... the ladies bake and take it personally if you dont partake.

Hedning
12-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Ok BT... here is a recipe for you:

1 bottle of red wine

1 pc kanell (cinnamon), One stick I guess

2 pieces cardamom, whole

0.5 pcs lemon

85 g sugar

2 oranges

12 pieces cloves, whole

100 g raisins

100 g Almonds, lightly crushed by a 5 year old or so.

Should save the evening. Damn tasty. Do not overheat. When you can see fumes and smoke its done.

I bought a nice X-mas gift to myself yesterday. A new Gerber hunting knife. Ill write a ladies name in the "from" box and see what happens.....LOL..

kathy
12-26-2011, 04:35 PM
I hope everyone who celebrates enjoyed the holiday. I did... way too much, I wont be hungry for a week.

edit: I just noticed the local paper tagged me on facebook with a photo of my swearing in ceremony. I need a hairdresser...

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/swearing_in.jpg

old Grump
12-26-2011, 11:02 PM
Where were you wearing your holster? :handgun:

btcave
12-27-2011, 02:15 AM
Awesome! Kathy, you make me proud.

Daughter is engaged. Her boyfriend gave her the ring Christmas eve in front of us. She's a step-daughter, but she is mine. So a wedding I will pay for as is appropriate. Her sperm donor sure won't, the piece of shit.

I'm happy for her. Her boyfriend is a good man.

oh, and thanks for the recipes.

kathy
12-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Where were you wearing your holster? :handgun:

Ill never tell...LOL

BTCave, you will be Grandpa... the sperm donor will be.... "who???"

btcave
12-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Ill never tell...LOL

BTCave, you will be Grandpa... the sperm donor will be.... "who???"

Her biological deadbeat father was to who I was referring as a sperm donor. Sorry for the confusion. Iwasn't talking babies. That needs to be a few years from now. Not ready to be called grandpa yet.

kathy
12-29-2011, 04:17 PM
BTCave, yes I understood... I meant the sperm donor wont be remembered and no one will know who he is.

Hearing the wee one say Grandpa or whatever you choose to be called in a sweet little voice will melt your heart. Its not about genetics, its about the love you put into him and his mommy.

edit:

Michelle Bachmann's favorite gun.... AR-15

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/michele-bachmann-reveals-her-favorite-gun-an-ar-15-heres-why/

old Grump
12-29-2011, 09:35 PM
So where was that holster again? Don't worry, I won't tell anybody.

Bachmann:

-“I love it. I love it, it’s a great gun. I like being accurate, and that is a great gun.”

Little Known Fact: Sarah Palin doesn’t get in people’s faces about things – she asks Todd Palin to do it instead. This is because if the day ever comes that Sarah Palin gets in your face, your face will rip off.

From Chuck Norris:

-Sarah Palin doesn’t need a gun to hunt, because she can throw a bullet through an adult bull elk.

Could you see a Bachmann/Palin ticket, oh my.

kathy
12-30-2011, 07:49 AM
I have a waist holster for my little .380 that looks like a PDA holster.

Bachmann is great, I dont think she will be the nominee. We need her in congress anyway. Maybe Gov Palin should run for congress as well.

The communists and socialists are slowly dropping out. There is a rumor that Nancy Pelosi may leave and many others that of her philosophy are "retiring".

old Grump
12-30-2011, 06:49 PM
I have a waist holster for my little .380 that looks like a PDA holster.

Bachmann is great, I dont think she will be the nominee. We need her in congress anyway. Maybe Gov Palin should run for congress as well.

The communists and socialists are slowly dropping out. There is a rumor that Nancy Pelosi may leave and many others that of her philosophy are "retiring".I'm inclined to agree and the legislative experience would do Sarah Palin a world of good if she ever tried to make another run at the White House.

Sure, take all the mystery and conjecture away about your holster, spoil sport.:laughingtohard:

kathy
12-31-2011, 05:08 PM
Ok, I thought you really wanted to know.

I had the big one in my boot...LOL

old Grump
12-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Ok, I thought you really wanted to know.

I had the big one in my boot...LOL
Good, that's what I was looking for.:lmao3:

New year is starting, what is the latest on grand munchkins. What about the latest have you gotten her her first gun yet? Still a romping stomping red head I hope.

kathy
12-31-2011, 11:24 PM
The newest grandkids are blondes. No guns for them yet, but my grand daughter got up on the motorcycles. She tried them all like goldilocks until she found the one that was just right...

edit: her little hand went straight for the throttle..

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/goldilocks.jpg

kathy
12-31-2011, 11:46 PM
Happy New Year All!!!!:thgunssmall::thguns::dancingsmile:

old Grump
01-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Cute little dickens but how did she get so big so fast. I'm still thinking swaddling clothes.

Well there is still hope, most of my brothers and sisters including me started out as blonds but by the time we got to middle school some of us were brunettes and a few of the girls were what they call dirty blond. My 2 sisters in laws and brother in law started as blondes and two of them went right to flaming red heads, one sister in law stayed blond.

kathy
01-02-2012, 04:07 AM
How are all of our brothers and sisters doing? I have not heard from Janet in a while.

Hedning
01-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Happy new year all... Iv pretty much been dealing with a bad fever for a week, but everything seems to be back on track by now. Hope you guys have had better luck with the holiday.

I did have some luck on the gifts this year. I got a new knife. Bear Grylls Gerber knife. Bought in myself for myself. Thats the way to do it. Takes a while to understand that if you want what you wish for... get it yourself. Little one made a heart for my though, that was the better one. Those big eyes following me as I opened the gift is a memory to keep. The smile, the hug, the real meaning of X-mas.

Another funny thing happened on new years eve. I have not tasted good egg-nog since 1986 when I spend X-mas with an American family in Costa Mesa California. One of the guys living not that far away from us stopped by with a bottle of his own brew. Just like 1986, really made my day. The bastard wount tell me his secret though.

Have a great one

old Grump
01-02-2012, 09:07 PM
How are all of our brothers and sisters doing? I have not heard from Janet in a while.She still lurks but can't sign in, I think she might have lost her password or something. Recon is having a hard time getting signed in too, for some reason he just gets a blank after doing the sign in. I think we may have some bugs in the system yet.

Hedning, try this:

4 cups milk
5 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
12 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups light rum
4 cups light cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat over lowest setting for 5 minutes. Slowly bring milk mixture to a boil.
In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs. Pour mixture into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil. Strain to remove cloves, and let cool for about an hour.
Stir in rum, cream, 2 teaspoon vanilla, and nutmeg. Refrigerate overnight before serving.

Substitute Korbel Brandy for Rum if you want a little different taste.

For Rum use Cruzan light aged, Mount Gay Eclipsr or 4 year old Flor de Cana extra dry.
Use Mexican Vanilla extract

kathy
01-03-2012, 08:14 AM
The bastard wount tell me his secret though.

Have a great one

Brandy?

Hedning
01-04-2012, 03:15 PM
AHAAAA.... Ill make a nog following that recipe and make a couple batches using rum and brandy.

kathy
01-05-2012, 01:41 PM
AHAAAA.... Ill make a nog following that recipe and make a couple batches using rum and brandy.

Let me know how it tastes! :party:

Hedning
01-10-2012, 04:42 PM
When I finally get to it Ill let you know Kathy..

How many days to spring OG? And Im sorry that I haven`t been able to get my ass on the chair long enough to send you an email containing a little update on all fronts.

Yesterday was a real funny day. Oh yea... Work was not bad so I had a chance to get home pretty early. I left the construction site at 15:30, in Oslo. It was snowing, but not that bad. 300m up the street and I was stuck in traffic. I spend 2.5 hours just to move 250m.... What the hell?!! You know what, most of those people that lives in Oslo does not know that this country is a place where snow is a part of the game. Somewhere they must have forgotten that we have four seasons. It was a very very sad scene. A lot of people with their summer tyres still on. A lot of truck drivers to lazy to get their chains on. A very big portion of just plain stupid people. I had to spend the night at the barracks. To get there I had to use some pavements, two gardens, a park and a graveyard. The police wouldnt have had a chance to stop me anyhow. I didnt see one single policeman or police car that evening. Probably inside drinking coffee and watching the traffic on TV.

Any progress on the Walker shooting OG? Im curious you see.

old Grump
01-11-2012, 02:05 AM
It is 68 days, 23 hours, 20 minutes, 45 seconds to Spring, bet you thought I wasn't keeping track.

Shooting has been on the back burner for every gun, just can't get my back straightened up enough to go outside and when I do it's to the shop. An hour out there and I'm down for another 3 days.

Oslo sounds like Minneapolis the day I had to finish up a job and drive home. Day before Thanksgiving and they get 16" of snow. No big deal to us northerners right. Little muscle cars with big fat street tires were getting halfway across intersections going sideways before they get stuck and us old farts who know how to drive in the snow had to get out of our cars and push these yahoo's off to the side of the intersection where they stayed till they got towed. Big important business men in their Lincolns and Cadillac same thing. Only difference was they were older and their big cars were harder to push and worst of all they acted like it was our fault that we could get in our cars and drive away. What should have been a 15 minute drive to the city limits took nearly 4 hours. Once I was on the highway heading south it was better but still there was an incident. Remind me to tell you of the blue moon and frozen battery someday.

Now that I think of it that could be the day my bad back problems started.

kathy
01-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Hedning you did a good job getting out of there, nothing is worse than being stuck in snow because of the others who are unprepared. The last year I was in Colorado my son got stranded on the highway on a city bus trying to come home for 8 hours... all that was blocking the path were cars stuck in the snow.

Were having a very mild winter so far here, I wont complain. I went for a ride on my motorcycle on Sunday... it was nearly 60 degrees F. :happydance:

I can hear the shooting at the local range here, but when its mild you have to wait hours.. So i still have not shot my gun, Im ashamed to say.

Stay warm and dry.

btcave
01-15-2012, 12:52 PM
It's snowing!

old Grump
01-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Daddy,,,How was I born??

A little boy goes to his father and asks 'Daddy, how was I born?'

The father answers, 'Well, son, I guess one day you will need to find out anyway!

Your Mom and I first got together in a chat room on Yahoo.

Then I set up a date via e-mail with your Mom and we met at a cyber-cafe..

We sneaked into a secluded room, and Googled each other.

There your mother agreed to a download from my hard drive.

As soon as I was ready to upload, we discovered that neither one of us had used a firewall.

Since it was too late to hit the delete button, nine months later a little Pop-Up appeared that said:

You've got male......."

Bt

6" of snow, 6 degrees yesterday, 21 today, supposed to be 31 tomorrow, more snow coming Tuesday and Thursday. I bet the snow you are getting now is what is supposed to hit me. I wouldn't mind if you kept most of it.

64 days, 12 hours, 8 minutes, 27 seconds to Spring.

kathy
01-16-2012, 07:07 PM
:lol2:

No snow here yet.

Hedning
01-17-2012, 04:24 AM
Not that much snow over here either. 4" or so. Steady -8c.

Did you get my mail OG? If you have, dont worry about my shotgun hull problem. I was able to get 1000 paper hulls yesterday. So I think I have enough for many years.

Done anything about that "sewer" problem BT?

kathy
01-18-2012, 10:24 PM
We got some snow, not much, only about 2 inches. so were sissies here now ... not like last year thank God!

Does anyone know of a pistol that used to be manufactured in Connecticut, that has a barrel that can be interchanged:coffee:?

btcave
01-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Done anything about that "sewer" problem BT?

Got a guy coming in Monday the 23rd to stage his equipment. The same day I called he drove out and took a look at it, I met him to sign the contract, and then he went back out to the house to drain the collapsing tank so we could use water until he can get a new tank in there. Not fun to go into your basement and find that sewage has backed up into the house. Tuesday the 24th the tank comes out, Wednesday the 1000 gallon concrete replacement tank goes in and Thursday they clean up and put things back in their place. $4000 later I'll have a septic system that should last the rest of my days on this earth. Who puts a plastic septic tank in when they build a house in the country anyway? This house is 18 years old and the tank is caving in upon itself already. When I do something I never go cheap. I go with the best quality I can within reason. That practiced has saved me money in the long run, in my opinion.

"The wise man builds his house upon a rock, the foolish man builds his house upon the sand."

old Grump
01-19-2012, 01:55 AM
We got some snow, not much, only about 2 inches. so were sissies here now ... not like last year thank God!

Does anyone know of a pistol that used to be manufactured in Connecticut, that has a barrel that can be interchanged:coffee:?
I have a Dan Wesson .357 but they were made in Massachusetts and New York. I know of several people with Thompson Encores but they are New Hampshire company. The only Connecticut company that I know of with interchangeable barrels is Mossberg and their shotguns. You might want to ask GunReference that question.

Got a guy coming in Monday the 23rd to stage his equipment. The same day I called he drove out and took a look at it, I met him to sign the contract, and then he went back out to the house to drain the collapsing tank so we could use water until he can get a new tank in there. Not fun to go into your basement and find that sewage has backed up into the house. Tuesday the 24th the tank comes out, Wednesday the 1000 gallon concrete replacement tank goes in and Thursday they clean up and put things back in their place. $4000 later I'll have a septic system that should last the rest of my days on this earth. Who puts a plastic septic tank in when they build a house in the country anyway? This house is 18 years old and the tank is caving in upon itself already. When I do something I never go cheap. I go with the best quality I can within reason. That practiced has saved me money in the long run, in my opinion.

Feel your pain. I have had two systems put in, one was concrete but to small and misused by the tenants that rented the house before I bought it. You would not believe the plumbing nightmare in the basement. The gray water system was run under the driveway and into a corn field. That system got boogered up 3 ways, its a long story. Concrete is the only way to go and a drain field that you can place where it won't get any traffic should last you a life time.

kathy
01-19-2012, 06:16 AM
BT ewww... Hopefully you didn't have anything you wanted to keep in the basement, you just cant go cheap on containing sewage.

Thanks OG, the guy whos running for congress to displace Rosa DeLauro asked me about the gun. Hes been asked by a gun publication, I forget now which one to write a review about a gun. Someone suggested a gun like that, but there are so many better choices. He wants to write about a gun manufactured in CT that is unique.

old Grump
01-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Maybe not unique like he is looking for but a brief history of how Colt conceived of the revolver. Then his idea to build machinery to make parts to exact dimensions so they could be interchangeable with any other Colt of the same model. This might be a way for him to go with his article. There is an awful lot of gun history in the northeast and Connecticut has a lot of it.

kathy
01-21-2012, 08:00 AM
Thanks OG. Someone suggested we bring egg sammiches to the gun clubs and host a meet and greet for them. That may help gain support also.

Rosa DeLauro is a solid F, the enemy to gun ownership.

Snowed here last night, the dogs are very excited. They love snow.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/uploads/126/OMG.jpg

btcave
01-22-2012, 10:41 AM
My brother went on his first date in 10 years on Friday. Heather and I were shocked!

We have an odd breed of Dem here in Oregon. Gun control just ain't their thing usually. DeFazio even got a B from the NRA one year. It may still be that way. Still, they are too pro-government empowerment for me... well, so are the republicans over the last decade. Oregon delegates will go to the Dem, they always will, so me voting 3rd party won't hurt the Republican. My protest vote against the status quo you might say. Being Libertarian means I will always be a loser. Oh well.

kathy
01-22-2012, 04:26 PM
BT I have been up and down about voting Ron Paul. The only misgiving I had about him was his foreign policy and I have been researching thinking and praying on that one.

Military members are his largest monetary contribution supporters and polling suggests he has the largest share of the military vote.

This makes me look at him again. I was very impressed with his speech last night at the South Carolina primary. Mitt and Newt have a very bad 2nd A track record.

Im still working on a campaign to defeat Rosa DeLauro and that may actually be successful.

btcave
01-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Septic is complete and blessed by the government preist (inspector). Tomorrow I get to pay the second half of the bill! Peace of mind to know this will last me until I'm 6 feet under pushing up daisies... speaking of, how's things going OG? ;)

Kathy, Ron Paul is one of the honest ones. I felt the same about Bush and I think Romney is honest too. Newt is what he is, and I don't want him as president, but 4 more years of "the One" is bad as well. I feel a Julius Ceasar moment would be siezed upon if "the One" and those who handle him had the oppertunity. I don't fear him as much as I fear the apparatus that surrounds him and uses him.

I'm in the mode of getting me and Heather as self sustaining as possible to cut government out of my life as much as possible. I'm finding it a great way to live. I'm looking forward to grandchildren to share with. Sarah needs to marry that man and get busy!

kathy
01-27-2012, 11:39 PM
BTCave glad to hear your septic is done and approved by the high priests of sewage.

I am more and more impressed by Gov Romney, he has finally stopped cowering when they bring up his wealth. The last debate show he and Santorum can step out and lead. Newt looked pathetic. Ron Paul is honest. Agreed Newt would be the last choice and oddly the other 3 in national polls matching up with Pres O do better than he does.

Grandchildren are awesome, if I were retired the woods is where I would be. They could come out and stay whenever they liked.