PDA

View Full Version : lousy-anna makes using cash for 2nd hand purchases illegal

filthy phil
10-21-2011, 05:55 PM
http://www.unitedliberty.org/articles/8952-using-cash-for-secondhand-transactions-now-illegal-in-louisiana
:smiley08:

El Jefe
10-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Didn't LA just do something similar?

FunkyPertwee
10-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Nope. No way in hell would I go out of my way to comply with THAT travesty!

Kadmos
10-21-2011, 06:09 PM
I can get their intent, if the intent is to try to stop theft of building supplies, stripped copper, that sort of thing.

Just forcing people to show ID's at scrapyards would probably go a long way to slowing the illegal trade.

This part of the article I did find funny though

Transactions with minors are prohibited. This law prevents minors from selling goods to secondhand dealers. Does this mean that private property rights aren’t extended to Louisiana citizens until their 18th birthday?

Minors basically have no property rights. For the most part they can't make contracts or own property. At best "their" property is held in trust by someone else.

Warthogg
10-21-2011, 06:22 PM
I doubt this law can stand. Be interesting to watch the civil process though.

Wart

tank_monkey
10-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Minors basically have no property rights. For the most part they can't make contracts or own property. At best "their" property is held in trust by someone else.

Wow, one of the few times (actually more but i can't remember) that I agree with you. Primarily because you're speaking the plain truth here. MINORS have no property rights. Everything they have technically are in 'trust' with their ADULT guardians until they turn 18. But a minor cannot OWN property like a house or a car that has paperwork attached to it. Now no one will argue about a minor's right to own a potted plant, but even a pet, still technically belongs to the ADULT in the household. You can't hold the minor responsible if your dog runs out a mauls a child. People should not fall into the trap that minors have 'rights' just like adults. They have fundamental rights to life, liberty and not to be exploited, etc. but owning land? owning guns? owning cars? Not in this country.

LAGC
10-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Wow, one of the few times (actually more but i can't remember) that I agree with you. Primarily because you're speaking the plain truth here. MINORS have no property rights. Everything they have technically are in 'trust' with their ADULT guardians until they turn 18. But a minor cannot OWN property like a house or a car that has paperwork attached to it. Now no one will argue about a minor's right to own a potted plant, but even a pet, still technically belongs to the ADULT in the household. You can't hold the minor responsible if your dog runs out a mauls a child. People should not fall into the trap that minors have 'rights' just like adults. They have fundamental rights to life, liberty and not to be exploited, etc. but owning land? owning guns? owning cars? Not in this country.

What about rich child celebrities that "emancipate" themselves from their parents?

Focused Gunfire
10-21-2011, 07:53 PM
It would seem that this law needs to be rethought.

O.S.O.K.
10-21-2011, 08:21 PM
So, this will be as enforcable as paying taxes on cash transactions.... NOT!

FunkyPertwee
10-21-2011, 08:27 PM
They should make drug dealers get a business permit and turn in a tax statement while they're at it.

sevlex
10-21-2011, 08:47 PM
So they passed a law repudiating the nations currency? Isn't that seditious?

raxar
10-21-2011, 08:48 PM
So they passed a law repudiating the nations currency? Isn't that seditious?

Considering where the dollar is headed maybe they're just ahead of the curve?

mriddick
10-21-2011, 08:56 PM
I thought the dollar is legal tender for all debts?

Kadmos
10-21-2011, 09:12 PM
What about rich child celebrities that "emancipate" themselves from their parents?

Most of the young ones actually normally have a lawyer put the money in trust, but yes emancipated minors are allowed to make contracts, etc. But to do this they need to be emancipated by a court of law.

Aside from that, a kid can't even legally make the "contract" necessary to buy a candy bar. Obviously they do, but technically it's not a legal contract.

On an aside, the city here will not accept cash on several types of transactions, check or credit card only. It's fairly obvious that the reason is a lack of trust in their own employees. It is funny to watch people point to the cash and say "what does this say? All debts, public and private! Am I right?" Doesn't change anything but its fun to watch..assuming you aren't going to try to pay in cash.

Warthogg
10-21-2011, 09:33 PM
Now no one will argue about a minor's right to own a pot.. plant.....

Nope

Wart

tank_monkey
10-22-2011, 01:05 AM
Nope
Wart

Hilarious there Wart ;)

tank_monkey
10-22-2011, 01:06 AM
Most of the young ones actually normally have a lawyer put the money in trust, but yes emancipated minors are allowed to make contracts, etc. But to do this they need to be emancipated by a court of law.

Aside from that, a kid can't even legally make the "contract" necessary to buy a candy bar. Obviously they do, but technically it's not a legal contract.

On an aside, the city here will not accept cash on several types of transactions, check or credit card only. It's fairly obvious that the reason is a lack of trust in their own employees. It is funny to watch people point to the cash and say "what does this say? All debts, public and private! Am I right?" Doesn't change anything but its fun to watch..assuming you aren't going to try to pay in cash.

Yo Kadmos. Do you NOT see the irony that you have to EXPLAIN this concept to LAGC? What planet is he from that he does not know this? What does that say about his education? His knowledge? His common sense?

Kadmos
10-22-2011, 02:26 AM
Yo Kadmos. Do you NOT see the irony that you have to EXPLAIN this concept to LAGC? What planet is he from that he does not know this? What does that say about his education? His knowledge? His common sense?

Well, I suppose everyone has some gaps in their knowledge..