PDA

View Full Version : I got a new Home Defense System.

El Duce
10-22-2011, 10:41 AM
At the pound this week. He is a beautiful dog. His pound name is Deuce.

Great dog. Couldn't be happier!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Elduce/DSC09326.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Elduce/DSC09340.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Elduce/DSC09331.jpg

FunkyPertwee
10-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Beautiful dog! He's got a lot of filling out to do.

I've always liked German Shepherds. Used to a have a white one that was awesome, except for the shedding.

Also, I had those same collars on my dogs until one learned to use it to choke the other.

El Duce
10-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Beautiful dog! He's got a lot of filling out to do.

I've always liked German Shepherds. Used to a have a white one that was awesome, except for the shedding.

Also, I had those same collars on my dogs until one learned to use it to choke the other.

Yep, he does need some more meat on him. We have been feeding him as much as he wants to eat. Plus now we have a disposal for our table scraps!

I have walked him every day since we have had him as well.

Warthogg
10-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Fine animal you have saved.

Wart

My three worthless and spoiled dogs are all rescue pups. Last night they dined on slow cooker chicken and brown rice. They wanted cheese cake for desert but you just gotta put your foot down !@!

Full Otto
10-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Mess with the boy, you mess with me.
OH YEAH!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Elduce/DSC09340.jpg

El Duce
10-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Pictures don't do him justice. He is a big beautiful dog.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Elduce/DSC09338.jpg

El Duce
10-22-2011, 02:28 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Elduce/DSC09325.jpg

O.S.O.K.
10-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Good for you and lucky Deuce to have you pick him :)

Warthogg
10-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Neighbor has a couple of those fine boys.......mature and big.

Maybe two weeks ago a couple of Mormon Utes kicked in his gate. Them Utes did not understand that gate and fence were not there to keep them out but to keep the puppies in...hehehehehe.

The pups greeted the Utes who were last seen by their next door neighbor galloping into the sunset.

Wart

American Rage
10-22-2011, 06:37 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Elduce/DSC09325.jpg

I don't think he's made up his mind about you yet. He seems to be checkin' you out, with suspicion.

El Duce
10-22-2011, 08:55 PM
I don't think he's made up his mind about you yet. He seems to be checkin' you out, with suspicion.

I couldn't get him to sit still long enough to get a good pick of him. He seemed a little aprehensive about the camera. Still in the 4 days that we have had him, he has improved tons. I took him for a ride in the truck today. He was pretty nervous. Every time I come home and greet him he goes apesh*t. This is definately one of the best dogs that I have ever had in my family. We are working on getting him a little more stout.

I really like this dog. Call me silly. But I feel like I am bonding with this K 9.

old Grump
10-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Word of warning, do not let him over do on the table scraps or give him as much food as he wants. Seems mean but if he is thinner instead of pleasingly round he will be healthier and live longer.

Warthogg
10-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Word of warning, do not let him over do on the table scraps or give him as much food as he wants. Seems mean but if he is thinner instead of pleasingly round he will be healthier and live longer.

o G I know you are technically correct but I want my dogs HAPPY. Tonight they had slow cooker chicken and brown rice. They always have dry dog food available. (They will actually eat some if they think I'm not looking.)

Wart

tank_monkey
10-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Congrats El Duce,

But I am always hesitant to regard my dogs as home defense systems. For one, my dogs are a part of the family. If a gang of thugs armed with guns comes a looking for me, I for one, will NOT unleash my dogs, rather I would lock them up inside, lest they be hurt.

I love my dogs like my family. If some punk shot my dog to death, I'd kill that punk, no questions about it.

I suppose I worry too much about MY dogs getting hurt by some perp, rather than the other way around. A gun or knife can end the life of my beloved canine quickly and I'd rather not take the chance.

davepool
10-22-2011, 10:49 PM
I think he means home defence in the sense i do, "BARK,BARK, BARK, hey man, wake up and grab the shotgun,there's bad guys at the door"

My dogs bark should be a warning to the bad guys that there is an armed human behind that door. Don't worry about the dog,worry about the guy he just woke with the shotgun.

Nice dog, good on ya for giving him a loving home :)

insider
10-23-2011, 12:27 AM
That is amazing you found a dog that nice at the pound.:thumbspbig:

tank_monkey
10-23-2011, 12:50 AM
I think he means home defence in the sense i do, "BARK,BARK, BARK, hey man, wake up and grab the shotgun,there's bad guys at the door"

My dogs bark should be a warning to the bad guys that there is an armed human behind that door. Don't worry about the dog,worry about the guy he just woke with the shotgun.

Nice dog, good on ya for giving him a loving home :)

A barking dog is NOT a defense system. It's an ALARM system. You can have a SMALL dog do the same thing. The pics of the dog show he is a beautiful animal. I'm glad that the dog has a loving home. Big thumbs up on that. I just had to mention that I love dogs too much to risk them. I'd rather take the risk facing down a perp MYSELF with my firearm than let anyone in my home do it, including my dogs.

slamfire51
10-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Great save. Great looking pooch.
I wish I could find a GS that nice at the pound.
When my Lab/GS passes, I'll be looking for a full blooded GS.

The are a defense dog to a certain extent. Their looks would deter many potential perps.

El Duce
10-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Great save. Great looking pooch.
I wish I could find a GS that nice at the pound.
When my Lab/GS passes, I'll be looking for a full blooded GS.

The are a defense dog to a certain extent. Their looks would deter many potential perps.

That is pretty much what I wanted/meant.

Yesterday I took him for a walk. We came in the house via my wife's garage. Just as we were walking in the door,

my wife was walking out the door. She stopped dead in her tracks.

I would never put this dog in harms way. But, I do feel better sleeping at night knowing that a bark in the back yard might scare someone off, or at least give me the heads up that I need to get ready.

And I agree. I still can't believe that I found a freind this fantastic at the pound.

davepool
10-23-2011, 08:57 AM
A barking dog is NOT a defense system. It's an ALARM system. You can have a SMALL dog do the same thing. The pics of the dog show he is a beautiful animal. I'm glad that the dog has a loving home. Big thumbs up on that. I just had to mention that I love dogs too much to risk them. I'd rather take the risk facing down a perp MYSELF with my firearm than let anyone in my home do it, including my dogs.

Not to pick nits ,but an alarm system is part of a good defence. I do agree with your point, i love my old dog too much to ever risk getting her hurt going after a guy with bad intentions

slamfire51
10-23-2011, 09:03 AM
I know for a fact, a barking dog is the best defense for the owner.
My dog alerted me to someone walking in my yard. I was sound asleep, and would never have known the guy was anywhere around.

I would not trade him for the best electronic security system available today.
You can disable both, but the dog will get a few barks in before it happens.
Dogs just know!!!

Crash
10-23-2011, 09:35 AM
If you are looking for a pure bred or even a mutt that is mostly german shepherd you can check to see if there is a gs rescue group in your area. I have a friend locally that runs a great dane/grey hound rescue and I know of a lot of others all within driving distance.
People have been giving up a lot of beautiful dogs lately because of the cost and up keep. It's a shame, if I had the time I'd look into a getting a lab or gs but I'm never home enough for them.

slamfire51
10-23-2011, 09:43 AM
If you are looking for a pure bred or even a mutt that is mostly german shepherd you can check to see if there is a gs rescue group in your area. I have a friend locally that runs a great dane/grey hound rescue and I know of a lot of others all within driving distance.
People have been giving up a lot of beautiful dogs lately because of the cost and up keep. It's a shame, if I had the time I'd look into a getting a lab or gs but I'm never home enough for them.

Thanks Crash, I'll do that.

Solidus-snake
10-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Man that is an absolutely beautiful dog, congratulations!

I have a soft spot for GS and really want to get one when I get a place with more land.

On the home security subject, even if you dont want to sic the dog on a perp, just hearing that big bark or seeing the dog around when scoping out the place is enough to deter some would-be criminals.

One time at my parents house we got a visit from a dog I nicknamed Bruno. BIG, muscled dog that I think was a boxer/ mastiff mix or something. Head bigger than mine and had a beautiful black/brown tiger stripe pattern coat. He was a really nice dog and very friendly though I suspect he was only around because of our dachshund inside that was in heat.

Came home that night and he was laying on the front porch steps under the porch light and I thought to myself "Man, I would NOT try to break in this place with that thing around!"

Warthogg
10-23-2011, 11:46 AM
My dog alerted me to someone walking in my yard. I was sound asleep, and would never have known the guy was anywhere around.

I would not trade him for the best electronic security system available today.
You can disable both, but the dog will get a few barks in before it happens.
Dogs just know!!!

My dog alerted me to someone walking in my yard.

For sure.

My dogs alerted me to a pervert in my BACK yard.....think fences and gates. The perv was trying to peek the neighbor's 8 year old daughter. As soon as Glock and I got outside, my Chow - Jessie Jane - jumped the 4 foot fence separating me from the perv and closed with him.........always staying between the perv and me.

Anyway, no dogs hurt and the police came and hauled his sorry ass to jail. Had to LOVE those local cops. They knew exactly who they were coming to arrest just by the area. Yeah, turns out he lived maybe 8 houses north.

Wart

TEN-32
10-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Awesome looking dog. And good on you for doing the right thing and adopting. I will not ever "buy" a pet. My last two have been from a rottie rescue and I believe they know on some level and I think they are more loyal due to the fact that you saved them. Or maybe not, but its still the right thing to do.

Dogs...good for the soul.

El Duce
11-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Did some research. Turns out the dog is a Belgium Malinois. Love the dog. Taking it out for a walk as we speak!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_Shepherd_Dog_(Malinois)

slamfire51
11-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Here's a link to pics of your dog.
http://images.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1045&bih=499&q=Belgian+Shepherd+Dog+%28Malinois&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&oq=Belgian+Shepherd+Dog+%28Malinois&aq=f&aqi=g3g-S1&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=279l279l0l2833l1l1l0l0l0l0l219l219l2-1l1l0

By the looks of the pic below, multiple alarms are preferred in some households. LOL

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/393125_304586436230966_100000388354229_1007195_308 729284_n.jpg