PDA

View Full Version : Have to sign in to continue reading posts?

Oswald Bastable
08-13-2010, 12:08 AM
Okay, so I'm browsing some threads, but haven't logged in yet, and suddenly when opening a thread I receive a message that I've reached my limit of posts I can view without creating an account...what's up with that?

I frequently don't actually sign in unless I find something I want to reply to, just browse threads until then.

Does this mean I'll now be required to sign in just to continue browsing?

Gunreference1
08-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Oswald Bastable, are you clicking the "Remember Me" box when you're logging in?

Steve

Oswald Bastable
08-13-2010, 02:07 AM
Oswald Bastable, are you clicking the "Remember Me" box when you're logging in?

Steve

Yes, but this has nothing to do with that, it was a message I received prior to ever logging in tonight, just while browsing threads. It seems to indicate "Guests" will be forced to register after reading "so many" posts, before they're allowed to continue reading...

Gunreference1
08-13-2010, 02:23 AM
I misread your question qriginally. I have asked Alex to take a look at this issue and get his input.

Steve

Oswald Bastable
08-13-2010, 02:48 AM
I misread your question qriginally. I have asked Alex to take a look at this issue and get his input.

Steve

This may be something to do with changes they were attempting to make with the site, as I noticed even after I logged in, that I couldn't get to the last page of a given thread without receiving that message. For example, a thread with 3 pages that I was looking at, I couldn't get to the 3rd page, even after logging in. I could open the first page, go to the second page, but when I clicked on the third page, I received the message. And even if I logged in on that specific page (this being after I'd logged in on the site, and checking the checkbox), it would take me back to that message.

The problem seems to be gone now, so I suspect it may have been something to do with attempted changes behind the scenes...

gunsnetadmin
08-13-2010, 06:58 AM
"Guns Network Staff" is the guy you need to email about this. I remember something about "guest" accounts being mentioned by him. If its working now, great. Its not a "break fix" btw. I've subscribed to this thread, if it happens again, re-reply and I'll get on it.

Guns Network Staff
08-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Actually nothing is broken, as I programmed the website to have vistors register after so many post views. The number is up there so if you triggered the program then you read a lot of posts, lol.

We are trying to get more people to register, you need to understand it from our prospective.

Gunreference1
08-13-2010, 08:58 AM
Thanks Alex and David for responding. I just wanted to make sure we didn't have an issue that no one was aware of.

Steve

Oswald Bastable
08-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Actually nothing is broken, as I programmed the website to have vistors register after so many post views. The number is up there so if you triggered the program then you read a lot of posts, lol.

We are trying to get more people to register, you need to understand it from our prospective.

I think you'll find it will have the opposite effect. People viewing as guests who haven't decided whether they want to sign up or not, will just go elsewhere, where they can read posts without being forced into anything.

gunsnetadmin
08-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Its "damned if you do, damned if you dont" situation. Hopefully it works in our favor.

Oswald Bastable
08-18-2010, 03:33 AM
Its "damned if you do, damned if you dont" situation. Hopefully it works in our favor.

Well it's becoming a pain in the butt...

Every time I boot my 'puter, I now have to log in just to read posts, otherwise I get the pansy-assed message. I'm not opposed to logging in, but I shouldn't have to do it just to read posts and it seems that now I have to log in just to do that.

If you want to drive traffic away from this site, it seems you've found a wonderful way to do so...

Carry on.

gunsnetadmin
08-18-2010, 06:45 AM
Well then either click "Remember me" so you dont have to log in, or dont read posts.

Carry on.

Guns Network Staff
08-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Well it's becoming a pain in the butt...

Every time I boot my 'puter, I now have to log in just to read posts, otherwise I get the pansy-assed message. I'm not opposed to logging in, but I shouldn't have to do it just to read posts and it seems that now I have to log in just to do that.

If you want to drive traffic away from this site, it seems you've found a wonderful way to do so...

Carry on.

Why are you being so narrow minded and vile with your comments Oswald?

Oswald Bastable
08-18-2010, 06:13 PM

Apologies for my rancor. The remember me checkbox doesn't remember if one has shut down the 'puter and rebooted the next day, and I never save passwords on the 'puter because that's just good security sense.

I'll deal with it, but I just don't think it makes good sense business and traffic wise.

crapshoot
08-18-2010, 09:12 PM

I would have to agree with Oswald on this one. I don't think forcing people to register to read the site is the best way to attract new members. The site will end up with over 1,000,000 members and only 500 active ones.

Are you guys taking advice from kkkrapski or something?