PDA

View Full Version : Possible "epic" thread in the making.

L1A1Rocker
10-23-2011, 02:17 PM
This person with "over 40 years experience in reloading" has just put his foot in his mouth big time. The problem is, he doesn't know it and is really digging a hole for himself.

He has apparently messed up reloading some cast boolits and is blaming the boolit manufacture for the problem. He even filed a BBB complaint but the fault is his own.

After a number of people have kindly and patiently tried to explain his mistakes for naught, someone finally posted this (wasn't me):

Hmm. I highly suggest you do the shooting community a HUGE favor and stop reloading. Your knowledge of the subject is so far off I see you as a major safety issue to any all ranges you may frequent. I am sorry this sounds harsh, and I do not mean to make you angry, but sometimes other people see what you don't. I am more than willing to take some time via PM or phone call to instruct you in the correct and safe ways of reloading using both jacketed and cast bullets.

Oh by the way this is my first post and I want to say hello to everybody. Hello!!

http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-reloading-25/151856-missouri-bullets-hardness-optimized.html

El Laton Caliente
10-23-2011, 02:41 PM
What did he do? Load to gas check specs?

L1A1Rocker
10-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Well, first he used a pistol Lee FCD to crimp the boolits running the cartridge through it twice. This is the one that has the carbide resizing ring on it. You really are not supposed to use it for cast bullets because it has a tendency to reduce the diameter of cast bullets.

Then he tested 10 rounds and found a problem chambering them. Then without resolving that issue proceded to run out over 1000 rounds.

Only then did he notice an issue with leading in the bore. He blames the bullet manufacture for making bullets that are too soft. People have tried to educate him about the possibility of the bullets being swaged down to too small a diameter using the FCD.

He is refusing to consider any possibility that he may have done anything wrong. He actually stated:
"I want to hear the story about how a bullet that is too small for the barrel is the cause of excessive leading; that should be a good one. Too small = less friction = more leading...yea right."

He has stated several times that he has 40 years of reloading experience and will not listen to anyone trying to correct his errors. The arrogance is rather amusing if you can handle it.

O.S.O.K.
10-23-2011, 04:13 PM
He did a bunch of things wrong.

It sounds from his post like he had his progressive press all set up for swc boolits. He then loaded 15-18 rounds using a new rn boolit and found that they wouldn't chamber in his gun without having to push the slide forward manually... but that didn't stop him from loading the rest of the new boolits (1500 rounds). Then, he discovers that they lead his barrel badly. So he pulls the remaining rounds using a collet puller and thinks that because they leave marks on the boolets that they are too soft.

So, he didn't adjust the dies for the new boolits - first mistake. Didn't adjust the dies even after his test rounds were shown to be faulty - second mistake.

It goes on from there - he's using a Lee factory crimp die and apparently had it set wrong - and it may not have been compatible with the new boolits.

He blames the manufacture (Missouri Bullet Company) claiming that the bullets are too soft, etc..

Then, when the members there point out some problems with his loading - he gets defensive and beligerant.

Basically, an idiot.

L1A1Rocker
10-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Basically, an idiot.

OH jeez. This guy is a total idiot or is shinning people on. I cannot figure it out.

I'm still looking for the answer to how with the dies set exactly the same way, another 10,000 or so 9 MM's loaded and fired without one of the problems I am having with these bullets. And please don't insult my by saying anything about seating depth. It seems aggression is still rooted in elementary loading skills that I have mastered but then that's the only ammunition you have other than the poorly cast bullets with substandard lead.

Helen Keller
10-23-2011, 05:28 PM
I wont even go there.

I hate that place.

L1A1Rocker
10-23-2011, 05:39 PM
I wont even go there.

I hate that place.

Why is that? I ask because I've never been there until today. I followed a link at another site over to it.

Helen Keller
10-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Why is that? I ask because I've never been there until today. I followed a link at another site over to it.

Buncha Easties and their stupid Holier than-thou fuckin logic.

I'll stop there.

Schuetzenman
10-23-2011, 06:32 PM
What's an Eastie?

Next, an undesized bullet will cause leading faster than anything else. How it works is the gases can jet past the bullet. At the speeds and temperatures that they produce it melts the lead and atomizes it into a mist that condenses as it touches the barrel steel. With enough rounds fired it sort of irons down into ribbons of metal. Mild leading will give flecks, which is really not too bad. It's the ribbions that really screw with accuracy.

Helen Keller
10-23-2011, 06:34 PM
What's an Eastie?

Far, south east corner of PA made up of brainwashed filthfidelfians and new jersey imports.

Cobalt60
10-23-2011, 09:20 PM
"Next, an undesized bullet will cause leading faster than anything else. How it works is the gases can jet past the bullet. At the speeds and temperatures that they produce it melts the lead and atomizes it into a mist that condenses as it touches the barrel steel. With enough rounds fired it sort of irons down into ribbons of metal. Mild leading will give flecks, which is really not too bad. It's the ribbions that really screw with accuracy. "

Thanks for the explanation. Good info.

Goodman
10-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Wow, that was painful to read.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it think.

deth502
10-23-2011, 11:28 PM
I wont even go there.

I hate that place.

+1000

dont let the fact that its a gun forum fool you, they are more liberal than du .

their market place is a fucking joke.

most of their "experts" are fuktards just like the reloading expert in question.

last time i posted there was on the thread where the entire site was trying to get the game commission to institute a ban on hicap firearms, and how no one should need more than 3 shots ever.

TheMrMitch
10-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Gun Kid?

tank_monkey
10-24-2011, 05:10 AM
However, based on what I read here, we have some real good advice guys for RELOADING. I will always check with you guys here before I do anything like that. :D

One cannot be too proud to take advice from people who know better :)

now if we could only train liberals to do that.

awp101
10-24-2011, 05:12 PM
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it think.
You can lead an idiot to knowledge but you can't make him think.