PDA

View Full Version : As if economic inflation wasn't enough of a worry...

O.S.O.K.
10-24-2011, 12:42 PM
How about volcanic inflation?

http://news.yahoo.com/rapidly-inflating-volcano-creates-growing-mystery-142805969.html

"Should anyone ever decide to make a show called "CSI: Geology," a group of scientists studying a mysterious and rapidly inflating South American volcano have got the perfect storyline.
Researchers from several universities are essentially working as geological detectives, using a suite of tools to piece together the restive peak's past in order to understand what it is doing now, and better diagnose what may lie ahead.
It's a mystery they've yet to solve."

----------------------

Apparently this volcanic mountain and an area 43 miles in diameter has been rising at a rate of 1 to 2 cm per year for the last 20 years... apparently, this super volcano in the same class of Mt. St. Helens only 1000 times bigger. Further, they tend to erupt every 300,000 years and the last eruption was guess when? Right - 300,000 years ago.

Geologists are currently looking at other clues to help determine how long this inflation has been going on...

Boom!

If this sucker were to let go, it would be a world-wide catastrophe - sending us all into a nuclear winter for many years - death, dying and dispare to follow.

from Yahoo home page:

http://l1.yimg.com/a/i/ww/news/2011/10/24/102411volcano-big.jpg

Mt. Uturuncu

Warthogg
10-24-2011, 03:14 PM
As if economic inflation wasn't enough of a worry...

A little closer to home is the increasing possibility of an earthquake in the TN, Missouri, Virginia, Georgia. ....Central US. (New Madrid fault line I 'think'.)

Last one one was about 1800 or so and was probably at least a 7.0 (about like Haiti) and maybe even an 8.0. Reportedly the Mississippi ran BACKWARDS.

Wart

O.S.O.K.
10-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Yep that was a bad un - the Mississippi did flow backwards and experienced a permanent change in the course of the river. There were "sand spouts" all over the Missouri countryside too - gases shooting out of the ground and shit getting swallowed up.

I just thought this was an interesting story - basically another super volcano the size of the yellowstone one - which is also expanding IIRC - only a lot slower.

Warthogg
10-24-2011, 03:38 PM
I just thought this was an interesting story.......

IS an interesting story. Active geology on mother earth is still.......well active.

Wart