PDA

View Full Version : Ever had a reading experience where

cevulirn
10-24-2011, 10:02 PM
You found the book in question very interesting, but it still put you to sleep? (I was going to tile the thread "Ever read a book where..." but that's just opening the door....

Well, I'm in the middle of The Elegant Universe, (http://www.amazon.com/Elegant-Universe-Superstrings-Dimensions-Ultimate/dp/0375708111) and its currently covering Relativity and Quantum Mechanics, albeit in a simplified form... I can only read so much at a time before my brain says "SLEEP ON IT"

Of course the universe is a very VERY strange place...

Warthogg
10-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Yup.......they make great bed side books. Not so great for recliners though.

Wart

Solidus-snake
10-25-2011, 03:13 AM
Yeah id fall asleep reading that too. I read a short summary about quantum physics last week and I immediately fell asleep afterwards.

shorthair
10-25-2011, 06:18 AM
1 Chronicles 1-9. The first time I read the Old Testament I could hardly stay awake so I skipped it the second time. :sleep:

old Grump
10-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Found that reading about game theory. I couldn't stop reading it but I could only get a chapter or two at a time when the old eyelids got heavy. Instead of 3 days it took me two months to get through it.

Cypher
10-26-2011, 04:25 PM
I think it has something to do with attention and focusing issues, or maybe eyesight.

cevulirn
10-26-2011, 04:30 PM
I'd have to describe in a metaphor.... After a certain time, the surface of my brain is covered, and I have to let it soak in before I can properly absorb new info... Especially with things that change your point of view, like relativity.

davepool
10-26-2011, 09:17 PM
For me it depends on what i'm readng. If i'm reading for entertainment, Heinlein,Clark,Robinson,etc i can read 4-5 chapters at a time before dozing off. If i'm reading to increase my awareness or learn something, it's 4-5 pages. Read a couple paragraphs,stop to absorb,evaluate,compare; couple paragraphs,same process...zzzzzzzzzz.

old Grump
10-26-2011, 10:02 PM
The book on game theory was like that for me. It was way out of my comfort zone math wise and I could only take in so much before I had to put it down and let it percolate for awhile. Then to keep up I had to go back occasionally and review before I could continue. Old brain cells are like old eyeballs, they don't work as good as they used to and it takes longer to take in new concepts.