PDA

View Full Version : Herman Cain web ad - causes controversy...

O.S.O.K.
10-25-2011, 01:58 PM
I think it's a great way to get exposure and also communicate that this guy is not your typical polititian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6VnTqpTqvQ

It's getting him a lot of free exposure becasue "oh my God!" his campaign manager takes a drag off of his cig at the end of the ad.

The music is a play to the Tea Party for sure as well.

People are asking "is Cain for real?" "is he really going for the nomination?" - Yes!

:cigarsmoking:

mriddick
10-25-2011, 02:26 PM
It does have an "odd" feel to it doesn't it, I also thought they did that on purpose to get some free attention. When the opposition overplays the "oh my gawd he's smoking" angle it actually makes Cain seem more appealing as an anti PC candidate IMO (as MSNBC has been doing all day).

imanaknut
10-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Gee, how novel, someone exercising their freedoms to make their own decisions on their health and being. So "anti-nanny state"!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

O.S.O.K.
10-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Gee, how novel, someone exercising their freedoms to make their own decisions on their health and being. So "anti-nanny state"!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly my thought. And they "dared" to do it. In a campaign no less!

Sergis Bauer
10-25-2011, 05:36 PM
It's funny how times change...

50 years ago, if a presidential candidate's campaign manager had taken a drag off a cigarette, it would be the most normal thing in the world and not in the slightest bit newsworthy.

100 years ago, if a presidential candidate's campaign manager had taken a drag off a cigarette, it would have also been controversial-- he would have been considered effete for smoking such a feminine tobacco product rather than a good, manly cigar.

Schuetzenman
10-25-2011, 05:49 PM
I don't smoke but I do applaude their boldness in the inclusion of the puff on the cig. I still can't see a better candidate out of the field of Republicans running than Herman Cain.

bum_whisperer
10-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Cain is the man because he's NOT a politician. There are too many of them already.

CigarGuy
10-26-2011, 08:58 AM
There was a political analyst on the radio today that agreed that we are "talking" about it. Past that, she said the only thing that makes sense to her after seeing his campaign chief take a puff is that it would be the first of "many" trying to get government off our backs and going with that theme.
Made the point that only 20% of us smoke cigarettes and a LARGE portion of the other
80% are extremely adamant about the 20% and their "habit".

O.S.O.K.
10-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Yep - the polished polititians are right there to compare with. He is a stark contrast to their equivocations, dodging, etc. - he just says what he means.

He has mispoken a couple of times - in the "heat" of an interview - and he needs to work on that but he also admits when he's wrong - something the others don't seem to be able to do.

Further, he's the one driving the issue of tax reform.

Why would we want somebody that had to be pushed into it rather than the one that was leading on it?

And that radio commentator just shows that the smoking thing did what it was intended to do - get people talking about government over regulation - and looking at Cain as the one that will fight for them.

Thylacine
10-26-2011, 10:40 AM

Hell yes! I love it too.

videodon
10-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Outstanding!
:)

Warthogg
10-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Yep - the polished polititians are right there to compare with. He is a stark contrast to their equivocations, dodging, etc. - he just says what he means.

He has mispoken a couple of times - in the "heat" of an interview - and he needs to work on that but he also admits when he's wrong - something the others don't seem to be able to do.

Why would we want somebody that had to be pushed into it rather than the one that was leading on it?

And that radio commentator just shows that the smoking thing did what it was intended to do - get people talking about government over regulation - and looking at Cain as the one that will fight for them.

.....he just says what he means.

....he also admits when he's wrong..

Guess Herman meant what he said about states and municipalities controlling what guns we are able to own - if any - as he has never admitted he was wrong or corrected that statement in any way.

True and that issue alone is worth having Herman as a candidate. Not the eventual nominee and certainly not resident president but a useful primary candidate.

Wart

O.S.O.K.
10-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Well Wart, it sounds like the American republican public is overrulling your wishes - I heard that the last polls have him at 28%.

HELL YEAH!

mriddick
10-26-2011, 02:09 PM
[/B]

Guess Herman meant what he said about states and municipalities controlling what guns we are able to own - if any - as he has never admitted he was wrong or corrected that statement in any way.

True and that issue alone is worth having Herman as a candidate. Not the eventual nominee and certainly not resident president but a useful primary candidate.

Wart

So Herman Cain supporting states rights over the second because he's afraid of the feds enacting guncontrol is a problem for you, yet a few years ago you had little problem voting for McCain who stood up in front of the NRA convention and told everyone he was for ending private transfers of firearms.

Warthogg
10-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Well Wart, it sounds like the American republican public is overrulling your wishes - I heard that the last polls have him at 28%.

HELL YEAH!

Certainly my wishes for a rethuglican candidate do not include:

a former employee of the Federal Reserve Bank who told us the Fed does not need auditing as we can just call a Fed PR person and they will tell us anything we want to know. A complete bald ass lie.*

a candidate who openly admits he will leave it to state and municipalities which guns - if any - we will be allowed to have.

As I watch sheeple rethuglicans crowd behind their new favorite rethuglican I'm ever prouder to be a libertarian and no longer a rethuglican.

Wart

*The truth: Bloomberg and News Corp had to sue the Fed all the way to the Supreme Court - and win - in order to find out the Fed had also bailed out foreign banks.

Warthogg
10-26-2011, 02:30 PM
So Herman Cain supporting states rights over the second because he's afraid of the feds enacting guncontrol is a problem for you,

You can bet your ass that's a problem for me.

yet a few years ago you had little problem voting for McCain who stood up in front of the NRA convention and told everyone he was for ending private transfers of firearms.

You make the above charge a statement without qualification. So I have no problem declaring you are a liar.:bs:

Wart

mriddick
10-26-2011, 03:53 PM
You can bet your ass that's a problem for me.

You make the above charge a statement without qualification. So I have no problem declaring you are a liar.:bs:

WartCan't be a liar since it's true, you can look it up. McCain said in front of the Louisville NRA convention and said he wanted to end the "gun show loophole" which means he wanted to end the ability to do private transfers of firearms.

O.S.O.K.
10-26-2011, 04:11 PM
What's a gun shoe? I want one!!!!

I think he was talking about voting for McCain - that part... perhaps.

mriddick
10-26-2011, 04:16 PM

Regardless evidently ending private transfers in 2008 was not that much a problem.

O.S.O.K.
10-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Never mind, you two go back to your "conversation" as there's obviously history here....

Warthogg
10-26-2011, 07:48 PM

I suspect even mriddick knew that.

Wart