1-1/2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup finely chopped smoked ham or diced smoked sausage
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup diced (1/4-inch) peeled apple
1/2 tsp. dried sage
1-1/2 cups crumbled and dried homemade cornbread or dried cornbread stuffing mix
1/4 cup apple juice, or more
1 egg, beaten lightly
1 boneless pork loin (4 lbs.)
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. dried sage
3 medium apples, peeled, halved, cored and cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/4 cup Calvados or apple brandy
1-1/4 cup homemade chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup apple juice or cider
1/4 cup heavy cream

For stuffing, heat butter in a heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat; add ham or sausage and cook 3 minutes. Add onion, celery, and a pinch each of salt and pepper; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are quite soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in diced apple and cook 1 minute. Transfer apple mixture to a large bowl. Sprinkle with sage and stir in cornbread crumbs, apple juice, and egg. The mixture should be moist but not wet. Add more apple juice if the mixture seems dry. Taste for seasoning and set aside.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. To double, butterfly the pork loin, lay the meat, fat-side down, on a work surface and make a horizontal lengthwise cut two-thirds of the way into the depth of the loin and about 1 inch from the long edge nearest you, taking care not to cut all the way through. Flip the loin over so that the cut you just made is opposite you. Make another lengthwise cut, again 1 inch from the edge. Open up the two cuts so you have a large rectangle of meat whose diameter is roughly 3 times the thickness of the meat. Place fat-side down and cover with a sheet of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a cleaver or a meat pounder, gently flatten the meat to an even thickness. Remove plastic wrap and spread apple stuffing evenly over the meat, leaving a generous 3/4–inch border. Roll up meat jelly-roll style so that stuffing is in a spiral pattern. Tie rolled roast at 2-inch intervals with butcher’s twine.

Combine 2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper, and remaining sage and sprinkle over roast. Lay the sliced apples on the bottom of a roasting pan just a bit larger than the roast and set the roast, fat-side up, on the apples. Put roast in the oven and cook for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 325 degrees and roast for 45 minutes. Check the internal temperature of the roast with an instant-read thermometer: The roast is done when it reaches 140 degrees to 145 degrees. If it is not ready, continue to roast, checking the temperature every 10 minutes.

When the roast is done, transfer it to a cutting board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest for at least 10 minutes while you make the sauce.

With a slotted spoon, transfer the apples in the roasting pan to a bowl and keep warm. Pour off any fat from the roasting pan, leaving the meat juices on the bottom. Put pan over medium-high heat, add Calvados, and deglaze pan allowing the alcohol to burn off, about 15 seconds. Transfer to a small saucepan and add stock, apple juice, and cream. Increase heat to high and bring liquid to a boil. Simmer, stirring, until reduced by half. Taste for salt and pepper. Keep the sauce warm while you carve the pork roast. Remove twine from the roast and cut it into 1/2-inch thick slices. (If you cut the slices too thin, they will fall apart.) Arrange the pork on a serving platter. Spoon the sliced apples around the meat and pour the sauce over all.

old Grump
10-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Baked Corn

Quick and easy Thanksgiving recipe

Ingredients

1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn
1 (14.75 ounce) can cream-style corn
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 eggs
1 (12 ounce) package corn muffin mix

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Combine the whole-kernel corn, cream-style corn, sour cream, melted butter or margarine, beaten eggs and corn muffin mix. Mix well and pour into one 9x13 inch baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 45 minutes.

Lysander
10-26-2011, 05:38 AM
Stuffed Acorn Squash (serves 4)

2x Acorn Squash, halved, seeds removed
1 loaf buttermilk cornbread (NOT yankee style)
2x tbsp brown sugar
3 x tbsp butter, melted
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1x large yellow onion, chopped
2x celery sprigs, chopped
14oz Bob Evans Savory Sage sausage
2 x sprigs fresh thyme
1x egg
1x cup heavy cream

1) Preheat the oven to 400*. Mix together the brown sugar, salt, pepper, and melted butter and cover the inside of the acorn squashes evenly. Roast in the oven, insides up, for 45 minutes or until fork tender. Remove and allow to cool

2) Next brown the sausage in a large pan. Then add the onion celery, and thyme until the onion is translucent.

3) In a large bowl crumble up the corn bread. Add the sausage mixture to the corn bread and mix by hand. Add in the egg and cream and mix again.

4) Take the cornbread mixture and mound it inside the squash by hand and form an even dome over the squash, do the same for the other 3.

5) Put back into the oven and bake for 30 minutes, serve hot.

This is a great "Base" recipe. You can change it up and add whatever you like to the stuffing.

slamfire51
10-26-2011, 11:55 AM

2x Acorn Squash, halved, seeds removed
1 loaf buttermilk cornbread (NOT yankee style)
2x tbsp brown sugar
3 x tbsp butter, melted
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1x large yellow onion, chopped
2x celery sprigs, chopped
14oz Bob Evans Savory Sage sausage
2 x sprigs fresh thyme
1x egg
1x cup heavy cream

1) Preheat the oven to 400*. Mix together the brown sugar, salt, pepper, and melted butter and cover the inside of the acorn squashes evenly. Roast in the oven, insides up, for 45 minutes or until fork tender. Remove and allow to cool

2) Next brown the sausage in a large pan. Then add the onion celery, and thyme until the onion is translucent.

3) In a large bowl crumble up the corn bread. Add the sausage mixture to the corn bread and mix by hand. Add in the egg and cream and mix again.

4) Take the cornbread mixture and mound it inside the squash by hand and form an even dome over the squash, do the same for the other 3.

5) Put back into the oven and bake for 30 minutes, serve hot.

This is a great "Base" recipe. You can change it up and add whatever you like to the stuffing.

We Southerners don't make loaves of cornbread. :dammit:
We bake ours in cast iron skillets with 2 TBSPs of bacon grease.
So, would that be a small, medium, or large skillet???
And we don't make cornbread with the course yellow Yankee cornmeal.
It's Martha White or White Lily buttermilk cornmeal, or nothing.

Recipe sounds delicious.
Thanks yall for sharing!!

Warthogg
10-26-2011, 03:08 PM

Recipe sounds delicious.

True Southerners make 'pawns' (also 'pones') of cornbread. Yellow meal and sugar suck.

Wart

http://www.olsouthrecipes.com/badcornbread.html

Warthogg
10-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Baked Corn

Ingredients

1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs

Directions

Combine the whole-kernel corn, cream-style corn, sour cream, melted butter or margarine, beaten eggs and corn muffin mix. Mix well and pour into one 9x13 inch baking pan.

Thisun I'm gonna try before Thanksgiving.

Wart

slamfire51
10-26-2011, 03:18 PM
True Southerners make 'pawns' (also 'pones') of cornbread. Yellow meal and sugar suck.

Wart

http://www.olsouthrecipes.com/badcornbread.html

There are 2 ways I make cornbread.
In the oven in a iron skillet, and fried in an iron skillet like you would make pancakes.
I fry them only when eating BBQ or beans.. They taste better than baked, IMO.

If you want damn good bread with a little sour twang, use buttermilk cornbread meal and buttermilk, and no friggin flour.

There are a few BBQ joints that have sweet light cornbread baked in bread pans (loaf). This has to be a 'carpetbagger' recipe. SUX big time.

slamfire51
10-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Baked Corn

Ingredients

1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs

Directions

What muffin mix do you use?
We have Jiffy muffin mix down here, but it's yellow and sweet.

Lysander
10-26-2011, 05:27 PM

Recipe sounds delicious.

I was translating it into yankeespeak.

I prefer Martha, when I can get it back home. And if you use anything but a hot iron skillet to make your cornbread, you need your ass kicked.

slamfire51
10-26-2011, 05:37 PM
I was translating it into yankeespeak.

I prefer Martha, when I can get it back home. And if you use anything but a hot iron skillet to make your cornbread, you need your ass kicked.

Amen Brother!!
Gotta have a crispy bottom, YUM.

I bought 10 lbs of White Lily buttermilk cornmeal this time. It seems to taste better than Martha White.

old Grump
10-26-2011, 07:27 PM
What muffin mix do you use?
We have Jiffy muffin mix down here, but it's yellow and sweet.I use whatever was on the store shelf or I make my own. I always doctor it up anyway so it makes no difference how it started.

old Grump
10-26-2011, 07:31 PM

Funny you should post this one, my sister just made it last Friday. We like squash a lot and eat as much of it as we can. One of my favorites is Turban squash. I don't do a thing to it but poke a couple of holes in the top and pop it into the oven whole for an hour at 350 then start poking it till it seems to be done. Time depends on size.

In case you were curious about where the store bought pumpkin pies come from here is the plant where they are produced.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e238/vanguard_07/pumkin.png

PROBASCO
10-26-2011, 10:21 PM
1/2 cup rock salt, 3 cups water, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup teriaki sauce, 1 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/2 cup lemon juice.

cut gerbils in no thicker than 1 inch thick slices, mix all contents and marinate gebil in fridge for 8 hours. remove, rinse off, smoke in smoker for 2-3 hours depending on how you like the texture, pouring honey over it twice, once during smoking, once when removed from smoker but while still hot..

if your pet store is out of gerbils, this also works well with salmon or steelhead.

old Grump
10-26-2011, 10:23 PM
1/2 cup rock salt, 3 cups water, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup teriaki sauce, 1 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/2 cup lemon juice.

cut gerbils in no thicker than 1 inch thick slices, mix all contents and marinate gebil in fridge for 8 hours. remove, rinse off, smoke in smoker for 2-3 hours depending on how you like the texture, pouring honey over it twice, once during smoking, once when removed from smoker but while still hot..

if your pet store is out of gerbils, this also works well with salmon or steelhead.Go to your room.

JTHunter
10-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Cranberry Sherbet

Knox unflavored gelatin – 1 ½ Tbs. Orange juice – 1 cup
Sugar – 3 ½ cups Lemon juice – 4 Tbs. Cranberries – 2 lbs.

CLEAN berries & pick out bad ones (soft/mushy). Put in large pot with 4 ½ cups hot water – cook until tender, about 12 min. after they start boiling.

SOAK gelatin in OJ & ½ cup cold water.

REMOVE berries from stove after cooked – MASH & STRAIN into another pan.
(The technique used by 3 generations has been to MASH the berries through a metal mesh strainer with a metal cooking spoon. It MAY be possible to use a food processor or blender to puree the cooked berries, but they will still need to be strained through a fine mesh to remove skins, stems, and seeds.)

ADD about 3-½ cups sugar plus a pinch of salt (~ 1/8 teaspoon).

PUT on stove, bring to a BOIL. Add gelatin/OJ mix, COOK for a few minutes, until all the gelatin has dissolved.

REMOVE from stove – ADD 4 Tbs. lemon juice, TASTE, add more lemon juice until desired tartness is reached.

SCRAPE white or pink scum as it cools and mix it back in. POUR into container and refrigerate UNCOVERED (you may need to skim more scum) until COLD, then FREEZE.

SERVE frozen in a small bowl with the beginning of the meal or as part of a salad.

Makes about 3 quarts and can be stored frozen for up to 6 months, if you used a sealed container like a plastic ice cream tub.

Cranberries used to be in 16 oz. bags. They are now 12 oz. bags, that’s why you use 3 bags (36 oz.)
The gelatin packets hold just a bit less than 1 Tbs. and as you’re using a bit more of the berries, just use 2 full packets.
The rest of the ingredients stay the same.

old Grump
10-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Oh me oh my, dat sounds good. I am a cranberry freak from way back and I'll eat them any way I can get them.

TEN-32
10-27-2011, 07:14 AM
Blanton's. Neat.

slamfire51
10-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Baked Corn

Ingredients

1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs

Directions

Grump,
Does the water in the whole kernel corn need to be drained before adding to the mix?

old Grump
10-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Drain and save, add if needed.

slamfire51
10-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Drain and save, add if needed.

Thanks!!
I'm off to the kitchen to make this for tonight.

Damnit Grump, the other recipe sounds delicious, but I never have all the ingredients to make the stuff you post.
I'd have to install more cabinets to store them in.:D