PDA

View Full Version : Buck 110 Eco-Lite

gpwasr10
10-26-2011, 09:19 PM
I find the Buck 110 to be about everything I would ever want in a full size folder. There is a damn good reason why this is the most duplicated knife on the planet and it is because of the following reasons... It's gorgeous, giving one tremendous pride in ownership, priced to own, easy to get a good edge on, the Buck 420HC is the best 420HC in the industry, the addition of a thumb-stud makes one handed opening a breeze and the locking mechanism is rock solid... OH, and did I mention this knife is still produced right here in the USA?

I would say that if there is one thing that is a negative for the old 110 it is it's weight; a well balanced yet hefty 7.2oz. When I undo the belt to take a leak, that bastard just about pulls my pants to the floor...

Enter the 110 Eco-Lite:
http://cf.mp-cdn.net/dc/47/de1c0e5015336539acbbaad58fc4.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/Buck2007/HPIM7230.jpg

It is identical in dimensions to the original Buck 110, it also features the same blade, the same locking mechanism and general feel... but it weighs in at a svelte 4.1oz; close to half as much as the traditional 110. Buck touts this knife to be just as strong, if not stronger then the original. Having used both as an EDC knife I can tell you that their claims are spot on. But unlike the original, it rides like air on the hip, especially in the slimmer nylon sheath.

The Paperstone (http://www.built-e.com/Products/PaperStone/Install/install.pdf) scales are rugged and seem to do well vs. many types of oil and grease, it also tends to keep a solid purchase when wet a little better then the original. And while it is not as fetching as the wood and brass variety, it does posses a certain utilitarian beauty that is welcome in and of itself.

It is also less expensive then the original, clocking in at about $10.00-$15.00 less then the brass and wood classic, and it comes with a Nylon sheath instead of leather. Even though it is less expensive then the original it is still backed by Bucks excellent 4-Ever warranty, so go ahead and beat on it, it's guaranteed against failure due to regular use.

All these things make this a welcome addition to my growing stash of knives, and I think I will carry it often.

OH, and did I mention it is made here, in the USA?

old Grump
10-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Nice, the only thing I am beginning to dislike about my old Schrade is the weight didn't used to be noticed 30 years ago. Today it seems like it has gained weight and by the end of the day it weighs about 8 pounds.

gpwasr10
10-26-2011, 11:46 PM
Nice, the only thing I am beginning to dislike about my old Schrade is the weight didn't used to be noticed 30 years ago. Today it seems like it has gained weight and by the end of the day it weighs about 8 pounds.
Yeah, it's a heavy design, but once you get used to having one (full size folder)... Nothing else will do. I assume you got a made in the USA Scrade? Old timer? Those are great too. You should give one of the Eco-Lites a shot if you ever wanna try something lighter, it would probably feel right at home in your hand. Hell Old Timer, you may even feel 2 0 years younger!

old Grump
10-27-2011, 01:30 AM
Let me put it this way, I have gone through several sheaths and several knives but that old timer has been with me since 1966. I was a little younger then and like I said I didn[t really notice the weight. Now it sits in the drawer more than it sits on my belt because I don't have as many things to cut anymore. I won't give it up though even with all the other knives I have. Somehow that one seems to have figured out a way to fit in my hand. Cases and Kabars have bit the dust but old Schrade is like the old Timex commercial or the ever ready bunny. It just keeps going and going and going. The only other knife I have had nearly that long is my Buck hunting knife and I won't give it up either. I have more expensive knives but that one has been skinning squirrels, deer, rabbits, and cleaning fish since 1985.

I do like the looks of that new Buck though and sucker that I am, who knows if I come across it and I have the cash in my pocket I am likely to end up with one more.

Richard Simmons
10-27-2011, 05:23 AM
Excellent post gpwasr10. I've got over a dozen 110's but have yet to try one of the Eco-Lite models. After reading your post I'd say that's going to change pretty quick. I'm used to sheath carry for the 110 but that Eco-Lite just begs for a clip and pocket carry. Once I get one I may have to see what I can rig along those lines.

cevulirn
10-27-2011, 07:39 AM
My Kershaw's and Spyderco's are made in the USA as well, but no doubt the Buck is a solid knife.

gpwasr10
10-27-2011, 11:04 AM
My Kershaw's and Spyderco's are made in the USA as well, but no doubt the Buck is a solid knife.

Oh they are, and they are also great knives. I have a Spyderench and a Kershaw Blur that are great knves... but there is something about a Buck110 (or as Old Grump pointed out, the Old Timer and Uncle Henry Schrades that are the same pattern) that seems to be oh-so-perfect for everyday applications.