PDA

View Full Version : Where's it going?

Richard Simmons
10-28-2011, 08:32 AM
My 1995 F150 keeps needing oil. About every 1000 miles I have to add a quart. I park in the same spot at work and at home and nothing is dripping on the ground.

Had a coworker check the exhaust while I reved it in the parking lot and had him follow me as I drove down the street and romped on it and there is no smoke.

Haven't crawled underneath to check it out but you'd think at a quart every 1000 miles it wouldn't just be sticking to the underside. Nothing smells funny. The radiator doesn't show any oil in it and the oil doesn't show any water getting in. Could it be burning that much oil and not smoke?

The engine, 5.0 has about 120,000 on it and I've used nothing but Pennzoil 10W-30 synthetic for that last 10+ years. I drive on average 8 miles to work, combination hwy and surface roads, 8 miles back home and perhaps double that if I go home for lunch or out to eat. About once a month I get her out on the interstate for 20-30 minutes at 65-70mph.

There doesn't seem to be any change in performance or increase in the oil consumption so maybe I should just spend the $6 or so every 6-8 weeks on a quart of oil and not worry about it?

Krupski
10-28-2011, 10:43 AM
My 1995 F150 keeps needing oil. About every 1000 miles I have to add a quart. I park in the same spot at work and at home and nothing is dripping on the ground.

Had a coworker check the exhaust while I reved it in the parking lot and had him follow me as I drove down the street and romped on it and there is no smoke.

Haven't crawled underneath to check it out but you'd think at a quart every 1000 miles it wouldn't just be sticking to the underside. Nothing smells funny. The radiator doesn't show any oil in it and the oil doesn't show any water getting in. Could it be burning that much oil and not smoke?

The engine, 5.0 has about 120,000 on it and I've used nothing but Pennzoil 10W-30 synthetic for that last 10+ years. I drive on average 8 miles to work, combination hwy and surface roads, 8 miles back home and perhaps double that if I go home for lunch or out to eat. About once a month I get her out on the interstate for 20-30 minutes at 65-70mph.

There doesn't seem to be any change in performance or increase in the oil consumption so maybe I should just spend the $6 or so every 6-8 weeks on a quart of oil and not worry about it?

Does it smoke when you first start it? You may be leaking oil past worn rings or past worn valve guides. However, the catalytic converter will burn up the oil once it's warmed up. So if you have oil smoke for the first minute or so, then it goes away, chances are the catalytic converter is getting rid of it.

O.S.O.K.
10-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Yep - ring job!

El Laton Caliente
10-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Yep - ring job!

Rings w/o valve guides or valve guides (seals) w/o ring are pretty much a waste of time & money. Do both or just pour oil in.

My Cherokee uses a quart between 3000 mile changes.

shotdown61
10-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Could also be the thinner synthetic oil you use.Try going to a 10/40 or use a synthetic blend.My car will do the same, about 1/2qt between oil changes and has almost 200.000 on it.10/30 will not stay in it, so went to 10/40 and did a lot better.Im sure with the miles I have on mine that there is surely bad valve guide seals.Synthetic oils will find the smallest places to get through.I do recommend the blends for higher mileage engines.
Ive been a professional diesel tech for the last 30 something years.
The best Ive seen is Valveoline 10/40 high mile oil