PDA

View Full Version : Help buying an AK

VATODAVE
10-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Im located in Northern California. My budget is $600-$800. I want a quality AK-47 like the ones you hear about firing every time no matter what the conditions. Ive heard a few things from different forums all around the web. Im not sure which type of AK is of better quality than others. Ive heard WASR Romanian and Polish were lower quality compared to Yugoslavian or Chinese. What about Bulgarian or Hungarian? Ive also considered buying a parts kit but i have no knowledge on how to build one myself and not aware of any build parties in my area. Maybe willing to travel to Sacramento or the Bay Area. Im pretty sure I want the following specs for an AK I would like to purchase.

-Ive heard milled receivers were able to last longer in tough conditions and also improves accuracy. Is this true?

-16" chrome lined barrel. Threaded?

-What would last longer in harsh conditions, classic wood or synthetic furniture?

-I want it chambered in 7.62x39mm

-Blue or parkerized finish

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you gunsnet.

raxar
10-28-2011, 05:00 PM
AK's are regulated in california, If you can get one it will most likely be very expensive. You will not be able to get anything made this century

O.S.O.K.
10-28-2011, 06:05 PM
First of all, :welcome: to the board.

You came to the right place to find out about AK's.

AK's are regulated in Cali - but there are ways around this. You will need to purchase an add-on that requires you to use a "tool" to release the magazine if you want a standard AK. It's a shroud that fits over the mag release and you have to poke a bullet or something like that into a hole to push the release.

For AR's, this is a "bullet" button - which requires that you use the point of a bullet or similar to release the magazine.

Only 10 round magazines too IIRC.

Now, I will also recommend a Saiga. Saigas are AK's modified into a sporter configuration. They are Cali legal but are true, rugged AK's.

Here is a great vendor to buy from: http://www.classicarms.us/Saiga.htm

You would have to get a local dealer to handle the FFL transfer.

This is what I am talking about:

http://www.classicarms.us/images/saiga165.jpg

These can be made to accept standar high-cap AK mags simply by grinding a little bit of the mag catch latch down. So, you could have some high capacity mags and if SHTF, a quick mod and you are in business. There are also high cap US-made mags like the Surefires that Classic sells that will fit these rifles as-is, but again, you're in California... so only 10 rounders. I think you would be fine with the standard AK high caps since they don't fit your rifle... until you do the mod.

These are currently $299!! from this vendor. That is an outstanding price!

Do not let the price fool you - these are high quality AK rifles. They come standard with a side rail on the receiver for easy optics mounting.

I'll let some of the others add to this.

O.S.O.K.
10-28-2011, 06:18 PM
OK, found the Cali-legal AK that I was referring to: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct767.aspx

Notice the mod to the mag release...

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/data/default/images/catalog/large/CALEGALAAPOLY.jpg

$750.

Now that I've addressed that, let me make a few comments on your other questions.

Stocks - yes, polymer stocks are more durable and water resistant than wood ones but really, you aren't going to do enough damage to the wood to make a big difference IMHO.

Milled vs stamped receiver. The milled receivers do tend to be smoother operating than the stamped version. However, they are also heavier. As to reliability and durability, the stamped ones are tough as hell and totally reliable. There's a reason that Russia switched over to stamped receivers back in the 50's...

Chrome lined barrels - yes for sure you want this. The chrome lining is very durable and long lasting and also protects against corrosion. Threaded barrel... I don't know the laws on that in Cali - but yes, a threaded barrel is desirable so that you can attach flash hiders, brakes, etc.

Hope this helps.

Schuetzenman
10-28-2011, 09:43 PM
You live in California that we lovingly call Commiefornia. Your state has legislated that you can't own that if it was made after December 2000. As pointed out to find one that is actully not bastardized with a fixed 10 shot magazine that you have to load by takeing the bolt carrier out of it, is going to be; 1 hard to find and 2, your budget is probably half what it will take to buy it.

Polish AK rifles are top quality, who ever said otherwise is ignorant. Romainan rifles are more cruedly built but really they work as well as any Chinese type I've seen or owned. In fact they can get by with a 1 mm receiver thickness. Chicom AK rifles have to use 1.6 mm thick receivers as their metal quality is not up to the task if only 1 mm thick.

The worst looking bores on new rifles I've ever seen were on Chicom AK weapons. Major tooling marks in the rifling lands. Every European AK I've looked down shines like a mirror, totally smooth and chrome lined.

Bulgarian weapons are very good quality, but most are milled AK receivers. Long after all others went to the AKM sheet metal receiver the Bulgarians were still making the milled receiver version with an AK74 type gas block the 90° type vs. the older 45° type.

insider
11-25-2011, 01:34 AM
Your best bet would be to move out of California to a free state.

Infidel
12-02-2011, 11:25 PM
I purchased a Zastava PAP about 6 months ago. I've been very pleased with it. It is quite accurate, dependable and ruggedly built with a 1.5 mm receiver. Yugoslavian AK's are some of the toughest out there. They don't have the chrome lined barrels, like some of the other Combloc AK's. The price is in the mid 300's. They have a thumbhole plastic stock. They are convertable to double stack. As a matter of fact, I'm in mid conversion. My mag well is cut out for the double, but I don't have a new double stack bolt yet. Even though it's cut out, and the front trunnion is also cut out, it still functions perfectly with the two single stack mags that come with it. Once I get the new bolt, I'll need to check the headspacing first. As long as that checks out ok, the conversion is done. To convert it back to a single, change the bolt back. You'll need to change some other parts out to US made parts to make it legal.
Remember, if you leave the european parts in, your gun will be on the european time zones and will sneak around your house at night. If you are unfortunate enough to be up, those european parts don't speak english and will blow you away, thinking that they are being invaded. If you are careful and install the American parts then your gun can't hurt anybody.

Alpha_Male
12-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Arsenal Saiga 7.62x39 AK47. It's already converted to 922r compliance, has the following.

*California legal
*Russian made stamped receiver
*hammer forged chrome lined barrel
*front sight block with bayonet lug and 24x1.5 right-hand threads
*thread protector
*AK-74 Compensator
*black stockset, standard mil-spec
*hand guards with stainless steel heat shield
*1000 meter rear sight leaf
*scope rail, accessory lug
*10-round US made magazine
*non-detachable magazine
*Key tool for magazine.

Buds has them "unavailable" right now but if you can find them they will most likely be within your price range if the distributor isn't a greedy nazi. Arsenal is top tier and accurate as hell. Good Luck

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_930/products_id/411545456

Dr. Gonzo GED
12-04-2011, 03:07 AM
At that price range in Cali, your best bet is a Saiga. You won't be dissapointed, they are the real thing. Built by Izmash, from Russia with:wildshooter:

Any milled AK down there will be over 1k. The stamped ones I've seen in that state werfe also expensive, but of poor quality. Not worth it.

Saiga is going to be the highest quality, highest value, and will probably come in after tax on the low side of your budget. The reciever is exactly the same piece of metal used on their military issue AK's, so if you ever move to a free state you can have it converted to the AK-103 configuration like it was meant to be.

Alpha_Male
12-04-2011, 01:43 PM
http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/saiga_762x39.html

^^^Saiga Conversion Heaven

O.S.O.K.
12-04-2011, 03:40 PM
http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/saiga_762x39.html

^^^Saiga Conversion Heaven

:lool: true

philobeddoe
12-22-2011, 05:44 AM
Hey man, stop believing everything you read on the internet. Bulgarian, Hungarian, Romanian, Chinese, blah blah blah. As long as it is CA legal, you've got the budget to get a quality rifle. I would only avoid the wasr's on account of the magwell mod to accept double stacks. You want a good rifle at good price? Go on Gunbroker and find a Romanian SAR-1, there's plenty all toward the lower half of your budget range. These rifles are US built from Romanian parts with eight US 922r compliance parts. The finish is a little rough, but it'll go bang every time you pull the trigger. As you get up to speed with the rifle, you can always mod and upgrade it, from the trigger/fire control group, to the furniture, totally customize it ... rails, a red dot, the whole kit.

Don't believe everyone's bitching and ranting on the net about what's good and what's not. Parts come in from all over the world and are assembled by all sorts of different outfits. For the most part, a stamped 1mm AK receiver is a stamped receiver. There's no great ones or junk ones. And you can always toss a rough fire control parts group out and upgrade it on the cheap, a canted barrel can be straightened. They're AK's, they're durable.

You don't need to drop big bucks on an Arsenal or anything of the sort.
Surf the Rifle Dynamics website. They can build you a solid kit, not too much money. I think the builds start at $400. Plus they'll straighten out and finish off your rifle if you've a got a beater or 'entry' rifle. Rifle Dynamics (http://www.rifledynamics.com/services/ak.php)

There are plenty of other custom builders out there that will make you what you want, or assemble a kit for you if you're deadset on let's say a polish underfolder and you buy a receiver and a parts kit and cannot assemble it yourself. Go to the NoDak Spud website and check their receivers, and links to parts kits ... lots of cool choices.

NoDak Spud Ak-47 Page (http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm)

Check out Arizona Response Systems builds! (http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/smith/ak/pagesmithak.shtml)

FWIW, I haven't heard great things about Atlantic Firearms, not that it means anything, and I don't love Saiga's either ..., and no need to go Saiga when there are so many AK's, AK clones and accessories and parts that're all compatible and affordable. AK's are cheap to buy, maintain and shoot, super simple, so don't complicate it. Check out gunbroker and gunsamerica, and get something reputable and reliable, with a CA Legal Magazine Lock, or have a reliable outfit customize a rifle for you. Again, I picked up some SAR-1's before the 2000 ban on the cheap and have zero regrets. Were I to desire any more AK's, I'd either stamp a flat or buy another SAR-1 off gunbroker. No need to over think it.

Good luck, and post pictures of whatever you buy.