PDA

View Full Version : Gun Control Drops to Lowest Level of Support Ever

btcave
10-29-2011, 09:53 PM
http://hotair.com/archives/2011/10/26/gallup-gun-control-drops-to-lowest-level-of-support-ever/

If you wonder why Democrats stopped talking about gun control, well, wonder no longer. Wonder no longer, either, about why Barack Obama and Congressional Democrats never followed up on their talk about re-enacting the so-called “assault rifle” ban. Gallup’s top line result is stunning, but not as much as its demographic breakdown is:

A record-low 26% of Americans favor a legal ban on the possession of handguns in the United States other than by police and other authorized people. When Gallup first asked Americans this question in 1959, 60% favored banning handguns. But since 1975, the majority of Americans have opposed such a measure, with opposition around 70% in recent years. …

For the first time, Gallup finds greater opposition to than support for a ban on semiautomatic guns or assault rifles, 53% to 43%. In the initial asking of this question in 1996, the numbers were nearly reversed, with 57% for and 42% against an assault rifle ban. Congress passed such a ban in 1994, but the law expired when Congress did not act to renew it in 2004. Around the time the law expired, Americans were about evenly divided in their views.

Here’s the chart from the past 52 years:

http://media.hotair.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/gallup-guns.jpg

If you think that’s dramatic, take a look at what happened to the demographics on this question. Guess which demos saw the biggest drop in support for stricter gun-control laws? If you guessed the Midwest, well, score a point for you; support in the heartland dropped 35 points, from 72% in 1991 to 37%. Midwesterners used to be the second-most supportive of gun control by region but now are the most opposed, even beating the South at 40%. Aaaaaaaand if you guessed Republicans, score another point. Two-thirds of Republicans in 1991 wanted more gun control, but it’s down to 31% today. Independents dropped nearly as much, from 65% to 38%.

In fact, only four demographics show a majority still favoring gun control: women (50%, down 26 points), the East (54%, down 23 points), those with no guns in the household (57%, down 21 points), and … Democrats, down just 10 points to 64%. That may not seem like much, but that’s still slightly lower than Republicans in 1991.

To get a grip on just how dramatic this change has been, recall the 1995 film The American President, with Michael Douglas and Annette Benning, which used this gun-grabbing speech as its show-stopping climax:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCsGMwHGINI&feature=player_embedded

Warthogg
10-29-2011, 10:01 PM
In fact, only four demographics show a majority still favoring gun control:

women (50%, down 26 points), the East (54%, down 23 points), those with no guns in the household (57%, down 21 points), and … Democrats, down just 10 points to 64%. That may not seem like much, but that’s still slightly lower than Republicans in 1991.

Wart

Warthogg
10-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Was thinking about this. Wonder WHY the change ??

Anyone have any thoughts ??

Wart

O.S.O.K.
10-30-2011, 11:19 AM
TROLL :D

OK, I'll bite.

The long term trend is due squarely to the efforts of the NRA and to a lesser degree, the other 2A advocacy groups. Pushing for and getting CCW laws and then showing the long term results has a positive effect.

The short term trend (which is rather dramatic) is due to obummer and fear. First fear - 9-11 kicked that off... and started the upward trend again. Then, obummer came in and gave it another kick.

Amazing how fear clarifies the mind. Especially when you come to the realization that if your family is threatened, YOU are the one that will need to deal with it.

American Rage
10-30-2011, 12:55 PM
People are scared, that's why

btcave
10-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Still have some work to do concerning our semi-auto "assault rifles", but it's looking better.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500202_162-20126950/poll-most-oppose-assault-weapon-ban/

The poll also found that 53 percent of Americans oppose a ban on assault rifles and semiautomatic guns - the first time more have opposed than supported a ban.

El Laton Caliente
10-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Was thinking about this. Wonder WHY the change ??

Anyone have any thoughts ??

Wart

A great number of non-gun owners gave a poorly informed opinion. NRA and other have brought the issue out and they are now better informed.

There is flat a greater number of firearms owners now. People bought for 2000 and after 9-11 and after the AWB.

Even non-gun owners see that all rights are erroding away and are more favorable to gun ownership.

The Fudds have realized they own "sniper rifles" and "riot shotguns".

alismith
10-30-2011, 04:09 PM
The Supreme Court decision had a lot to do with it, too. Once they declared the 2nd Amendment was an individual right, people realized that the Brady Bunch was just a politically motivated bunch of liberals, promoting an anti-Constitutional agenda, and seeking nothing more than the disarming of the American People.

ksuguy
10-30-2011, 05:16 PM
The mess in the wake of hurricane Katrina was also a big factor. I think seeing the chaos there prompted a lot of people to reevaluate their opinion on personal security and how quickly everything can go to hell. It also showed that there is a good chance that you will be on your own in the wake of a disaster like that, you can't depend on the government or someone else to come help.

O.S.O.K.
10-30-2011, 05:22 PM
The mess in the wake of hurricane Katrina was also a big factor. I think seeing the chaos there prompted a lot of people to reevaluate their opinion on personal security and how quickly everything can go to hell. It also showed that there is a good chance that you will be on your own in the wake of a disaster like that, you can't depend on the government or someone else to come help.

Good point - Aug 29 2005 is when it made landfall - and there's a move in the graf right at that point.

Yeah, that goes in the "fear" category - 9-11, katrina and the 2008 housing market/stock market crash. Then obummer's election.

And it seems as the base of gun owners grows, so does the impact of bad news on gun and ammo sales.

LAGC
10-30-2011, 07:42 PM
The Supreme Court decision had a lot to do with it, too. Once they declared the 2nd Amendment was an individual right, people realized that the Brady Bunch was just a politically motivated bunch of liberals, promoting an anti-Constitutional agenda, and seeking nothing more than the disarming of the American People.

The Brady Bunch, liberal? HA! Those control freaks? Last time I checked Paul Helmke and Sarah Brady were both card-carrying Republicans. They don't even try to hide it on their web-site:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/about/bio/helmke

alismith
10-30-2011, 08:05 PM
The Brady Bunch, liberal? HA! Those control freaks? Last time I checked Paul Helmke and Sarah Brady were both card-carrying Republicans. They don't even try to hide it on their web-site:

Being liberal has nothing to do with party affiliation. Maybe, at one time, it did, but not now. I'm a card-carrying Democrat, but that doesn't mean I'm anywhere near being liberal, nor do I vote Democrat on the ballots. The last time I voted for a Democrat (in the 70's) was in a state election and the Democratic candidate was pro-gun all the way. He even introduced pro-gun legislation in the State legislature. Since his defeat for re-election, I've pretty much stayed away from the Democratic candidates. I vote issues, not party lines.

El Jefe
10-30-2011, 08:10 PM

For your edification, there are liberal Republicans and there are conservative Democrats. Tho the latter are becoming an endangered species.