PDA

View Full Version : Parts kit or pre-assembled?

VATODAVE
10-30-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm purchasing an AK-47 for the first time. Im stuck on what variant to buy and also whether I should purchase a parts kit or just pre-built? Well with the kit I will probably save $ but I have never built a one before or any firearm and I don't want to mess it up. If I purchase one pre-built I dont have to worry about it falling apart on me but will probably cost more maybe.

Also I'm stuck on what type of variant I should purchase. I don't want a Romanian, I've heard those are bottom of the barrel. Maybe Yugoslavian or Bulgarian milled.

For someone with no build experience is it to much of a task to build one myself. Will a parts kit save me big $ or no? I'm in northern California does anyone know of any reputable builders or build parties or AK dealers?

Izzy
11-09-2011, 08:27 PM
CA laws do bung it up for you, and bullet bottons are not pre-installed on most home built ak's, nor factory ones for that matter.

Reputable dealers for CA include Atlantic firearms amoungst others. http://wwww.atlanticfirearms.com/storecategory94.aspx

WB!
11-10-2011, 04:57 PM
For a first AK, it would be better to get one already built. To put one together requires some special tools, which would raise the cost of a kit gun. Additionally, you would need a barrel, in addition to the receiver. Plus, you can't just slap together an AK, like an AR-15. You have to fit it, which requires some skill. You might consider a Saiga, and convert it to pistol grip. The SGL's are a good choice. The Rommanians are not bad, if you can hand inspect it. Any AK that is built in a military factory is a good choice.