PDA

View Full Version : Feeling old......yet young at the sametime

Partisan1983
10-31-2011, 02:28 AM
Maybe I'm going through a quarter life crisis or something like that.....

Spent all day beating myself up, so much so that the wifey gave up trying to make me smile and went to bed....as did I.

I woke up almost 3 hours ago still in a funk and began listening to sad ass music.....but then for some strange reason, I stumbled upon Appetite For Destruction on VINYL!!!!

I had forgotten just how different music sounds on vinyl. I feel like a kid again...like I just saved up all my milk and bagel money for a whole month, then walked (well I rode my bike) up to the Harmony House on Woodward Ave. and bought this album on cassette....at the ripe old age of 7.

Anyways, sitting here and listening to it on vinyl.....it's like I am hearing it for the the very first time and it's now impossible to wipe the smile off my face. I have never felt like this before.....strange.

1 Patriot-of-many
10-31-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm always thinking about the past. Especially when I drink. I get very nostalgic, I don't listen to a lot of music, because it actually makes me sad when I hear songs from my teens, early 20's.

I look back and see what I could've done and been and feel bad that I didn't reach my potential because of various mistakes I made along the way. Granted I'm pretty happy with the way things turned out, just wonder what if. Think it's natural. The older I get the faster it goes, the more I wonder. I feel old at late 40's, half my life is probably over.
It's truly amazing when you're young it takes forever to get to 18, then long time to get to 21, then time seems to increase exponentially. Before you know it you're wondering how the hell do I have kids out of the house? Where did the years go?

O.S.O.K.
10-31-2011, 10:40 AM
Our youngest is 18 and will finish High School next spring... then off to his life - hoping for the AF Academy. But it will be weird with no kids at home... yes, sad. But I look at it as an opportunity to get to know my wife again - for us to be closer - do more things together.

I get kinda sad too when I play songs that I first heard or played a lot when I was young... they are a memory trigger.

We'll be moving to Miss right when our son goes off to the academy in June - they get them the summer before their first year.

As to not living up to my potential - ah, we all could do more, be more, but I've learned that it's really about trade-offs. Just look at most of the "successful" people - most of the time their lives are a clusterfuck - multiple marriages, kids are all screwed up, drugs...

So, I'm learning to just be thankful for what I've got and apply my energies to doing things better now - doing stuff that I want to do now. I've still got around 40 years of my life left and maybe more if technology keeps going the way it is...

f.b.l.p
10-31-2011, 04:20 PM
Partisan.Seriously bud,keep an eye on this.I started out the same way.Degraded into something that basicaly fucked up my life.Don't wanna be a downer,or an alarmist.Just stay aware man.

O.S.O.K.
10-31-2011, 07:01 PM
What? Manic depressive? Bi Polar? Same thing I guess... Yes, that could be a very big problem.

TEN-32
10-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Maybe I'm going through a quarter life crisis or something like that.....

Spent all day beating myself up, so much so that the wifey gave up trying to make me smile and went to bed....as did I.

I woke up almost 3 hours ago still in a funk and began listening to sad ass music.....but then for some strange reason, I stumbled upon Appetite For Destruction on VINYL!!!!

I had forgotten just how different music sounds on vinyl. I feel like a kid again...like I just saved up all my milk and bagel money for a whole month, then walked (well I rode my bike) up to the Harmony House on Woodward Ave. and bought this album on cassette....at the ripe old age of 7.

Anyways, sitting here and listening to it on vinyl.....it's like I am hearing it for the the very first time and it's now impossible to wipe the smile off my face. I have never felt like this before.....strange.

Just don't dance with Mr. Brownstone...

GnR rocked it with that album. I have stocked my MP3 library with stuff from my youth. It is natural to be introspective while reminiscing. For me its old Black Sabbath and Motorhead. A little bit of Zeppelin. I must be a few years older than you. Don't worry about it. Just look to the future and work toward what you want.

Partisan1983
11-02-2011, 01:45 AM
Guys, I will be ok. I am not contemplating suicide, nor am I addicted to anything illegal....

In fact the only drugs that I partake in today, are tobacco, alcohol and women...

Although, I still can't believe Mr. Brownstone is illegal, yet women aren't......

I've seen them ruin more lives than any other drug there is...FWIW

l921428x
11-02-2011, 02:45 AM
Then one day you find 10 years has got behind you, no one told when to run you missed the starting gun. Pink Floyd.

Home, home again
I like to be here when I can, when I come home cold
and tired, its good to warm my feet beside the fire. Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to there knees to hear the softly spoken magic spell.

Solidus-snake
11-02-2011, 03:35 AM
Funny.. Im only 22 and I get like this sometimes. But I realize I am young and have many choices ahead.

However I'm married n own a house so I've made several already.

LOL when I get older and look back the music ill be remembering will be Iron Maiden, Metallica and Jimi Hendrix...

Schuetzenman
11-02-2011, 06:31 AM
I'm mostly up beat and don't worry. Every once in a while I learn of somebody I knew that has died that was my age or younger. Then I get bummed primarily thinking about all the things they didn't get to do. Just learned a kid our son's age died of Lukemia at age 32, so he's been dead 5 years now.