PDA

View Full Version : Case Sooting

Richard Simmons
11-02-2011, 07:29 AM
What causes case sooting? In the past I reloaded for my Berthier rifle using new Graf and Sons 8x50R brass and pulled bullets from some Turk ammo that had cracked necks. Don't recall what powder I used at the moment but it was one I happened to have that was listed on chart that came with my Lee dies. IIRC I picked a powder charge that was in the middle of the range.

The rounds worked fine and where hitting to POA at 100yds but I noticed that the fired cases had soot on them. Is this an indication of a too light powder charge or perhaps the bullet is the right size? TIA

O.S.O.K.
11-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Yes, generally, case sooting is an indication that the pressure is too low to adequately seal the chamber at the neck. This will stop as you go up in your charge weight.

Richard Simmons
11-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Yes, generally, case sooting is an indication that the pressure is too low to adequately seal the chamber at the neck. This will stop as you go up in your charge weight.

Thank you for the info.

Schuetzenman
11-02-2011, 06:50 PM
I concure with O.S.O.K., sooting indicates low pressure and the case not expanding to seal the chamber. Raise your charge is the solution.

O.S.O.K.
11-02-2011, 06:57 PM
If you'd of indicated a higher pressure load or near maximum, then I would suspect an oversized chamber...

Using "the wrong" propellant can also be a culpret - like if a full case of it doesn't generate enough pressure...

L1A1Rocker
11-02-2011, 10:07 PM
I often have this problem with my sub-sonic .308 loads.

abpt1
11-03-2011, 08:35 AM
I often have this problem with my sub-sonic .308 loads.
Yeah I have had some issues with this in my AR with a 55gr fmj on top of 24gr of varget . But I thought it was gas from the bolt ?