PDA

View Full Version : ....another "Defense" senario

printerman
11-02-2011, 10:50 AM
You just cashed your check and "Perp" wants your money ! Your in the bank parking lot but don't expect any help ! He see's your girl and wants the car and the girl (for hostage) ! You have a gun and so does he ! Yours is between the seats in a gun-rug , his is in your face and he seems jumpy ....

WHAT DO YOU DO ?

old Grump
11-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Offer the boogerman a cup of tea and some cookies, have a nice chat with him while you wait for the law enforcement authorities to magically respond. If your girlfriend is any good she will distract him till after the handcuffs have been put on him. The tea and cookies should be tax deductible.

El Jefe
11-02-2011, 11:02 AM

FunkyPertwee
11-02-2011, 11:06 AM

I like to control my money manually.

El Jefe
11-02-2011, 11:10 AM
I like to control my money manually.

Really, you pay bills with cash?

FunkyPertwee
11-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Really, you pay bills with cash?

No. I deposit the minimum amount required to pay bills electronically and to make planned purchases online, like ammo. Everything else is paid for in cash.

I understand the benefits of bank savings, but I haven't had enough money to save anything in the past year anyway.

Besides, with the bullshit type work I've been doing lately, I get paid in cash anyway.

El Jefe
11-02-2011, 11:17 AM
No. I deposit the minimum amount required to pay bills electronically and to make planned purchases online, like ammo. Everything else is paid for in cash.

I understand the benefits of bank savings, but I haven't had enough money to save anything in the past year anyway.

Besides, with the bullshit type work I've been doing lately, I get paid in cash anyway.

But you're careful to report that income, right? :wink:

FunkyPertwee
11-02-2011, 11:18 AM
But you're careful to report that income, right? :wink:

Yeah. I use the special tax form for lawn mowers and hole diggers. :D

El Jefe
11-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Yeah. I use the special tax form for lawn mowers and hole diggers. :D

Good, LAGC needs the support. :)

FunkyPertwee
11-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Good, LAGC needs the support. :)

He can come help me dig trenches for sewer and irrigation if he wants to. ;)

El Jefe
11-02-2011, 11:34 AM
He can come help me dig trenches for sewer and irrigation if he wants to. ;)

You don't expect him to actually work do you? :embarrassed:

FunkyPertwee
11-02-2011, 11:54 AM
You don't expect him to actually work do you? :embarrassed:

I'll try to hook him up with a 12 hour job underneath one of the old city buildings that floods during high tide.

Vorkutinetz
11-02-2011, 12:28 PM
WHAT DO YOU DO ?
Id start by poking holes in the scenario... If neither one of you noticed the approaching perp in the bank parking lot (which I assume is totally empty)...sorry, you are SOL. Might as well give him the cash and the girl...and your gun....

Sidartha
11-02-2011, 01:16 PM
You just cashed your check and "Perp" wants your money ! Your in the bank parking lot but don't expect any help ! He see's your girl and wants the car and the girl (for hostage) ! You have a gun and so does he ! Yours is between the seats in a gun-rug , his is in your face and he seems jumpy ....

WHAT DO YOU DO ?

1) You fail for not carrying.
Yes I know the bank may have a policy against that, but what they don't know won't hurt them.
2) Situational Awareness is king.
You can't defend against an attack that you are unaware of.

Failing the above(as we apparently have) the best thing I can think of is to bluff and yell "Honey get my gun from between the seats and shoot this motherfucker!"

It's a bluff in the fact that if the Perp calls it, he can shoot you easily and then get in a gunfight with your woman. If he decides that a murder followed by a shootout is more than he wanted to get into today then he leaves and you are safe.

No matter what, it's the Perp who decides whether you live or die and that's not a happy situation for you.

O.S.O.K.
11-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Should have the gun on your hip. Should have seen the badguy before he got close - always be in condition yellow like Jeff Cooper used to say. I am. Especially when I know I'm a juicy target.

mrkalashnikov
11-02-2011, 02:26 PM
The correct answer, given this scenario, is die.

Mr ThugLife has his gat in your face, while your gun is in the vehicle in a "gun rug", effectively useless.

Unless you can make like Jackie Chan, Jason Statham, or Darth Vader...game over.

O.S.O.K.
11-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Well, given that I'm married and have a daughter, the "girl" would likely be one of them. So, knowing reaction times, I would fiegn cooperation but then as quick as possible, grab the wrist holding the gun while moving to the side - pulling on the wrist to bring the bastard towards me while punching with my right hand. Assuming he's right handed. And then I'd kick, and use my elbows while trying to get control of the gun.

I might get shot/die. But I would never just give up my "girl" without a fight.

But that being said, I would have seen the fucker coming...

For 25 years I've been in sales and had to make calls on customes who habitually locate their warehouses in the most dangerous, lowest cost area of town... so my radar has been trained to be on.

old Grump
11-02-2011, 03:27 PM
The correct answer, given this scenario, is die.

Mr ThugLife has his gat in your face, while your gun is in the vehicle in a "gun rug", effectively useless.

Unless you can make like Jackie Chan, Jason Statham, or Darth Vader...game over.No tea, no cookies, how rude.

O.S.O.K.
11-02-2011, 03:31 PM
I will add that if there were no family member or even someone I was just responsible for involved, and I let him get into that positition, then I'd just give him the keys and the money - neither are worth getting shot.

Solidus-snake
11-02-2011, 03:32 PM
I second what has already been mentioned, you should have been aware of your surroundings. When out in public I keep an eye out and both eyes on any person heading my way. You cannot defend against a situation you werent prepared for. Effectively anyways..

Kadmos
11-02-2011, 03:37 PM
I would point off to his left and say "Look! a distraction" and then step on the gas.

O.S.O.K.
11-02-2011, 03:38 PM
I would point off to his left and say "Look! a distraction" and then step on the gas.

:dammit:

I thought I already said that? :lool:

Cypher
11-02-2011, 03:41 PM
This situation calls for a jump, spinning, heel, round house, spinning back kick to the throat, obviously the first kick is to disarm.

Seriously though it depends on if i am in the car or out of the car and have no chance of reaching the gun. In car, try to distract enough to grab gun and hope I kill or wound him enough to remove the threat before/if I die.

Outside and no chance of getting gun I would do my best to distract and attack and hope to God my wife has enough time to drive away or grab the gun and shoot him, him taking the car and wife is not an option while I am alive.

Not trying to be Rambo like but as most of us know shot placement is key so lets hope the thug being the punk he is doesn't have a clue how to shoot a gun well and can't get off a good shot in the struggle.

O.S.O.K.
11-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Point is, it would be better to get shot than to sacrifice your wife. I'd rather die personally than do that.

And you know if the asshole did shoot you, he'd most likely run at that point, so you'd keep your wife safe.

And yes, my wife would grab the gun and start shooting at the perp if she had a clear shot - he sure as hell wouldn't be getting into the car!

Cypher
11-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Point is, it would be better to get shot than to sacrifice your wife. I'd rather die personally than do that.

And you know if the asshole did shoot you, he'd most likely run at that point, so you'd keep your wife safe.

And yes, my wife would grab the gun and start shooting at the perp if she had a clear shot - he sure as hell wouldn't be getting into the car!

I agree. And that last part is what I am working on, my wife is interested in learning how to shoot better so that's a plus. She doesn't mind guns, I could have a ceiling fan made out of AK-47's and she wouldn't care as long as it wasn't in the living room, just not very interested in the past but several of her friends have been taking CCW classes :thumbsup:

old Grump
11-02-2011, 04:44 PM
My ex-wife would shoot too but it would be hard to tell who she was shooting at and no she wouldn't care.

cevulirn
11-02-2011, 04:45 PM

WHAT DO YOU DO ?

Knife edge blow to the throat, or perhaps just knife to the throat, whichever is faster if I'm standing there in a parking lot. other hand tries to keep the gun pointed away from anything important.

sniper_n_training
11-02-2011, 06:15 PM
1) You fail for not carrying.
Yes I know the bank may have a policy against that, but what they don't know won't hurt them.
2) Situational Awareness is king.
You can't defend against an attack that you are unaware of.

Failing the above(as we apparently have) the best thing I can think of is to bluff and yell "Honey get my gun from between the seats and shoot this motherfucker!"

It's a bluff in the fact that if the Perp calls it, he can shoot you easily and then get in a gunfight with your woman. If he decides that a murder followed by a shootout is more than he wanted to get into today then he leaves and you are safe.

No matter what, it's the Perp who decides whether you live or die and that's not a happy situation for you.

Quite possibly the best, and most accurate response in this entire thread IMO. However bluffing would be out of the question if #1 was obeyed. A No-Gun sign is the least of my troubles in certain areas. A good CCW holster and a low profile are some of the best tools a person can have.

Helen Keller
11-02-2011, 06:53 PM
are we on foot?
How close is genius?

IF he's jumpy he's a punk or scared.

El Duce
11-02-2011, 06:59 PM
I second what has already been mentioned, you should have been aware of your surroundings. When out in public I keep an eye out and both eyes on any person heading my way. You cannot defend against a situation you werent prepared for. Effectively anyways..

Yesterday I was at wall mart. My wife always gives me grief for parking far away. (It keeps my truck free from dents). Well, after loading my groceriers, starting the truck. I see a guy approaching from about 4 aisle away. Smiling, waving, and saying Hey buddy!

I made eye contact. Opened the door, pulled my coat over the glock 23. Asked what he wanted. He asked if I had a cell phone. I asked why. He pointed to his 18 wheeler that had obvious damage to it. He said that he accidently dropped his cell phone into the iced tea and couldn't get ahold of his dispatch. He was waiting on a replacement truck to come pick up his trailer while awaiting a tow to pic up his cab.

I let him use my cell phone. Was a bit nervous. At first. Was aware of surroundings. Never know when it is the real deal, or someone needing real help.

O.S.O.K.
11-02-2011, 07:05 PM
I hate it when that happens. I've had panhandlers come up to me in hotel parking lots with BS like that = always "we are on the road and out of gas... do you have a few bucks you could spare?" while the meth bitch sitting in the seat next to him looks on....

But your guy was obviously legit... but you never know...

Cypher
11-02-2011, 09:21 PM
I hate it when that happens. I've had panhandlers come up to me in hotel parking lots with BS like that = always "we are on the road and out of gas... do you have a few bucks you could spare?" while the meth bitch sitting in the seat next to him looks on....

But your guy was obviously legit... but you never know...

I saw a few headlines recently about bums attacking people for not giving them money, one guy beat someone to death in walmart, WTH, and one guy trashed a Startbucks. Today I saw a bum with a sign that said "too much pride to steal, need money etc." I almost told him stealing is a good way to get shot. I think stuff like this will get much worse as the economy goes down. It's sad but anyone that gets anywhere near me on the street is an automatic suspect as far as I'm concerned and I keep my eyes on them.

Quite possibly the best, and most accurate response in this entire thread IMO. However bluffing would be out of the question if #1 was obeyed. A No-Gun sign is the least of my troubles in certain areas. A good CCW holster and a low profile are some of the best tools a person can have.

The problem with this is it automatically makes your wife a target to the crook, you have no idea how far this punk is willing to go, hurt his pride, piss him off, people have been killed for MUCH, MUCH less than that. Unless you can force him to be distracted while the wife pulls the gun it's too risky IMO.

Kadmos
11-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Yesterday I was at wall mart.

I see a guy approaching from about 4 aisle away, smiling, waving, and saying Hey buddy!

I asked what he wanted.

He asked if I had a cell phone.

I let him use my cell phone.

Good story ;)

bum_whisperer
11-03-2011, 01:47 PM
I'd pull a 1911 on him, stare at him, feel sorry for him and then tell him to go.

old Grump
11-03-2011, 04:53 PM

WHAT DO YOU DO ?

I'd pull a 1911 on him, stare at him, feel sorry for him and then tell him to go.
Where are you going to pull this 1911 out of? You didn't read the OP I can tell.

bum_whisperer
11-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Where are you going to pull this 1911 out of? You didn't read the OP I can tell.

I don't own a gun rug, let alone use one to store pistols. I carry a pistol, as it's meant to be carried.

I'd still end up feeling sorry for the guy and letting him go though. That's the important part.

Richard Simmons
11-04-2011, 08:10 AM

Something to consider. If he were to take the car and your wife she might survive. If he shoots you she is no longer a hostage but now a witness to a murder. Chances are good that he'll either kill her as well right on the spot or after making his get away. Just something to consider.