PDA

View Full Version : Loose dustcover on Draco

masterofsparks
08-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Hi, I just bought a Draco pistol from a private party. The dust cover on the reciever pops up when I chamber a round. I have shot only once. It does this every time round is cycled. I bought a new cover and still did not fix problem . Just ordered a bolt assist spring assembly. Thinking that the rear catch on the spring that goes through the cover may be bad. Anyone heard of this problem? This is my first time with an Ak.. have always used AR,s.. Thanks for any advise

mriddick
08-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Hi, I just bought a Draco pistol from a private party. The dust cover on the receiver pops up when I chamber a round. I have shot only once. It does this every time round is cycled. I bought a new cover and still did not fix problem . Just ordered a bolt assist spring assembly. Thinking that the rear catch on the spring that goes through the cover may be bad. Anyone heard of this problem? This is my first time with an Ak.. have always used AR,s.. Thanks for any advise

Normally the issue is the front where the cover slips in the retaining groove. I've seen some bend the bottom rear of the cover back so it pushes the front up into the lip further, although that might be a temporary fix if bends back. The after market scope top covers are longer then the standard so if you have one those handy you might try it...

masterofsparks
08-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Normally the issue is the front where the cover slips in the retaining groove. I've seen some bend the bottom rear of the cover back so it pushes the front up into the lip further, although that might be a temporary fix if bends back. The after market scope top covers are longer then the standard so if you have one those handy you might try it...

Thanks!

masterofsparks
08-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Think I will add a little bit to the front of the cover using a tig welder. The two covers I have do not quite reach the retaining groove. Cover could stand to be 1/8 to 3/16 in. longer. Its worth a try.

Schuetzenman
08-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Think I will add a little bit to the front of the cover using a tig welder. The two covers I have do not quite reach the retaining groove. Cover could stand to be 1/8 to 3/16 in. longer. Its worth a try.

Sounds like the receiver is out of spec in length. I've had to shorten top covers but never lengthen one before. If it isn't getting in the groove, tig'ing some metal on should do the fix.

a-kmanator
08-14-2010, 10:16 PM
pay close attention to the rivets on the rear trunnion also that the trunnion isn't being slammed out of the back of the receiver from it being over gassed or by using a buffer???

Elk River
08-16-2010, 10:38 AM
It sounds like the rear sight base isn't pressed back enough. Can you post a picture of the cover in place?