PDA

View Full Version : The Army Just Sacked a General for Trash-Talking Karzai

old Grump
11-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Excerpts from AP article. General Fuller wasn't to bright in saying what he did to the press but I agreed with everything he did say. Nice to see we still have a few generals who call it like it is.

AP / Reuters
Adam Clark Estes (http://www.theatlanticwire.com/authors/adam-clark-estes/)

Nov 4, 2011

Gen. John Allen, the commander of U.S. and NATO troops in Afghanistan, just announced that he fired Maj. Gen. Peter Fuller, the deputy commander of the crucial mission to train Afghan security forces. Fuller, a recent arrival to Afghanistan, gave a surprisingly harsh interview to Politico criticizing Afghan President Hamid Karzai and the Afghan generals he mentors as "isolated from reality."

Allen is having none of it. "These unfortunate comments are neither indicative of our current solid relationship with the government of Afghanistan, its leadership, or our joint commitment to prevail here in Afghanistan," Allen said in a statement.

The two-star general flashed irritation when he brought up Karzai's recent remarks that Afghanistan would side with Pakistan in a war against the U.S., blasting the president’s comments as "erratic," and adding, "Why don't you just poke me in the eye with a needle! You've got to be kidding me … I'm sorry, we just gave you $11.6 billion and now you're telling me, 'I don't really care'?"

"When they are going to have a presidential election, you hope they get a guy that’s more articulate in public," Fuller said during a visit to Washington for a conference.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2011/11/army-just-sacked-general-trash-talking-karzai/44598/

Schuetzenman
11-05-2011, 09:13 AM
I'd have to say the General said the truth of the matter. I'd bump him another star if it were up to me.

Warthogg
11-05-2011, 09:39 AM
General Fuller had to go. The General knew that better than any of us when he made the remarks.

Wart

American Rage
11-05-2011, 10:21 AM
they've been sacking high ranking military for politically incorrect thought speach for several years now

makes me think they're really just getting rid of the officers capable of defending america through a politically acceptable purge

samiam
11-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Question for the members that have been there done that. Why after 10 years do the Iraqis and Afghans still need "training" when the "rebel army" in Libya w/o training was able to retake their country in a few months? Are the Libyans secretly mentally/physically superior to the rest of the middle east?

old Grump
11-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Question for the members that have been there done that. Why after 10 years do the Iraqis and Afghans still need "training" when the "rebel army" in Libya w/o training was able to retake their country in a few months? Are the Libyans secretly mentally/physically superior to the rest of the middle east?It was Libyans fightin Libyans and those Libyans were fighting to get out from tyranny. Add in the fact that it is still a tribal culture and many of the tribes were unhappy with Qaddafi. Then you toss in a whole slew of enlisted and officers who bolted from the military forces and joined the rebels and it was a bad thing for the establishment. The national army was weakened and the rebels gained a trained cadre who know all the ins and outs of the military facilities. Makes shopping for arms much easier if you have the key to get in.

When we invaded we were foreigners in a country where the rebels were relatives of the people we dealt with on the street. They were happy to get rid of Saddam but they were not happy that we did it or that we were still there.

chiak47
11-06-2011, 06:29 PM
It was Libyans fightin Libyans and those Libyans were fighting to get out from tyranny. Add in the fact that it is still a tribal culture and many of the tribes were unhappy with Qaddafi.

I might be mistaken here but didn't the US admit that they had idea who it was that we were supporting and in fact Al Qaeda AKA Muslim Brotherhood raised it's flag over Tripoli just a few days ago. I also remember reading that Libya might have a few rebel leaders from Afghanistan that were once raising arms against US troops who now happen to be receiving arms from US troops...:gruebel:

Warthogg
11-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Still fighting in Libya.

Wart

ltorlo64
11-06-2011, 08:29 PM
I also heard Mrs. Clinton saying that part of the rebuilding of Lybia would be training their army. Seems like the same thing, except that this administration is acting as if it is not.

insider
11-06-2011, 10:38 PM
The man spoke the truth. You can't win a war being politically correct. Our military is being totally pussified.:crying_small:

Texas Soldado
11-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Karzai is like most politicians looking for a way to save his position. With the imminent withdrawal of US forces that prop up the Karzai government. President K. hopes that he needs to make a deal with the next rulers of Afghanistan.
The general was speaking plainly in his comments but in the US, our politicians hate truthful Soldiers so there needs to be a replacement made with someone wearing general officer rank who is more of a politician.

Eisenhauer was the senior general in WW2 because he was a politician, Patton was a Soldier and barely kept his rank through the end of the war. History repeats itself.. again and again.

MR. Polytech
11-08-2011, 03:48 AM
I might be mistaken here but didn't the US admit that they had idea who it was that we were supporting and in fact Al Qaeda AKA Muslim Brotherhood raised it's flag over Tripoli just a few days ago. I also remember reading that Libya might have a few rebel leaders from Afghanistan that were once raising arms against US troops who now happen to be receiving arms from US troops...:gruebel: You forgot about the 22,000 Soviet SAM's missing from Ghadaffi's arms warehouses that are now believed to be in the hands of Al-Qaeda affiliates in the region...Gee, I wonder where those SAM's will show up next???:gruebel:

caaraa
11-08-2011, 04:16 AM
Good thread, I always like them.
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/20.creation.jpg

Robertca
11-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Everything he said is true. Then again, not really his place to say it...

Warthogg
11-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Everything he said is true. Then again, not really his place to say it...

That's right and the General knew before speaking.

Wart