PDA

View Full Version : Everyone ready for deer season?

El Jefe
11-05-2011, 04:55 PM
The boys and I went out this morning and put in another blind. We have one tree stand over looking a bean field, and two blinds in hopefully good locations. Both the blinds are off active rub lines.

Our rifle season starts on the 12th, I'm looking forward to it as usual. :)

cevulirn
11-05-2011, 06:46 PM
I don't have a place to hunt... :(

El Jefe
11-05-2011, 08:14 PM
I don't have a place to hunt... :(

No conservation areas within driving range?

old Grump
11-05-2011, 09:00 PM
I don't have a place to hunt... :(Hop on your bike and come on up. make sure you bring your long johns.

Just spent $100 on nephews coveralls and orange gear, He is about as excited as a kid can be and I think if there is a day I can't get out there the little feller would haul me out back in the toboggan just so he can get into the woods. He moved in with me to late to get him to a hunter safety course so this first year he can only go hunting with a mentor. Probably a good thing I don't mind. Now to get him some Pak boots and he is all set to go.

Partisan1983
11-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Ours starts Nov. 15th, but I probably won't go this year (the first time I haven't gone in 16 years).

Dieselbuilder
11-06-2011, 01:25 AM
My son and I went out and scouted yesterday, saw a few fresh tracks, some droppings, a couple of small rubs and a couple of possible spots to build a blind... our season starts the first Wed after Thanksgiving.

El Jefe
11-06-2011, 09:06 AM
My son and I went out and scouted yesterday, saw a few fresh tracks, some droppings, a couple of small rubs and a couple of possible spots to build a blind... our season starts the first Wed after Thanksgiving.

Diesel, where are you located?

Here, in central Mizzou, our acorn crop was heavy again this year. The couple of ridges I'm concentrating on are mainly white oak and hickory covered. I don't think we'll see them moving as much as in some years because they don't have to go as far afield to forage. I'm counting on the rut and bucks chasing does in the timber. Hence more concentration on trails than crop fields. :gruebel:

Dieselbuilder
11-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Diesel, where are you located?
The Flint Hills of Kansas. Good acorn crop here as well but not a lot of water in the area we will be hunting. Setting up where we can see into 2 fields and also the woods between where we saw several trails and a couple of small rubs.

El Jefe
11-06-2011, 04:16 PM
The Flint Hills of Kansas. Good acorn crop here as well but not a lot of water in the area we will be hunting. Setting up where we can see into 2 fields and also the woods between where we saw several trails and a couple of small rubs.

I gotcha. Well, good luck to both you and your boy. So what are you shooting this season for deer? My old 30-30 is staying in the closet, I'm going to be using my Savage .270, and the boy will be shooting the Remington 700 in .243 I bought. After rifle season we'll break out the muzzle loaders. :)

Dieselbuilder
11-06-2011, 04:42 PM
I gotcha. Well, good luck to both you and your boy. So what are you shooting this season for deer? My old 30-30 is staying in the closet, I'm going to be using my Savage .270, and the boy will be shooting the Remington 700 in .243 I bought. After rifle season we'll break out the muzzle loaders. :)
I will be using my Savage 10FP .308 and my son will be using his Kimber of America Sporterized 6.5x55 Swede Mauser.

blobman
11-07-2011, 05:20 PM
i havent got a chance to do a damn thing,ill be scramblin friday to find a spot etc.

NewbieAKguy
11-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Opening shotgun season starts next Friday the 18th here in IL. Tried to sight in a TruGlo red dot last week but it gave me fits. Will be trying again next Mon or Tues to get things dialed in....weird because I borrowed same brand/model from bud last year and had no probs with his. Oh well, picked up a bore sight few days ago and will see what happens. If no go, rifle sights it is :).

btcave
11-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Deer season ended November 4th here. I got this guy off my back deck November 4th at dusk last week. Yup, pushed miles of brush and climbed through canyons and ridges only to shoot this guy because I happened to look out my sliding glass door. 10 yards with a 6.8 SPC handloaded with 110 gr Sierra Pro-Hunters.

It's a Blacktail here in western Oregon. They rarely get much of a rack. Typically smaller thatn whitetail. I'd say he was 2 years old.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2071/dsc00452twqtsc.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3361/dsc00458de.jpg

old Grump
11-12-2011, 02:58 AM
Deer season ended November 4th here. I got this guy off my back deck November 4th at dusk last week. Yup, pushed miles of brush and climbed through canyons and ridges only to shoot this guy because I happened to look out my sliding glass door. 10 yards with a 6.8 SPC handloaded with 110 gr Sierra Pro-Hunters.

It's a Blacktail here in western Oregon. They rarely get much of a rack. Typically smaller thatn whitetail. I'd say he was 2 years old.
Can't eat antlers anyway. I get a doe and a buck tag and I have to shoot a doe before I can shoot a buck. That is fine with me because I prefer the doe for eating. My brother wants at least one rack before he hangs up his gun. He fell asleep on his stand and from where I sat I could see a 10 pointer, (5 to you westerners), not more than 20' from him staring at him and listening to his snoring. :dammit:

I couldn't shoot because I would have had to shoot over his head. Last year he had hs eyes closed listening to a favorite song and missed seeing an 8 pointer. I think I know why he has never gotten a rack.:roflwithfeetcv2:

shorthair
11-12-2011, 06:49 AM
Farmer says the deer are killin his corn so I agreed to come up to Tuscola CO MI. All his crop is off now. I use my favorite brush gun, Ithaca Slamfire 12G 18 1/4" Cylinder Bore Magna Ported Sage International Ghost Ring Tritium Site and the Brenneke.

Wherever he goes I go the other way. Well you know what happens...I get the buck. lol

He don't really get Pissed but I have to listen to him Bitch for days.

El Jefe
11-14-2011, 08:22 PM

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2071/dsc00452twqtsc.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3361/dsc00458de.jpg

Good job. :thumbspbig:

O.S.O.K.
11-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Cave, congrats on the buck! However, you are much to healthy/skinny :lool:

I'm going up to our place this coming weekend = probably Friday so I can hunt Saturday - start of gun hunting. It's supposed to be raining there tonight - good! the food plots need it.

btcave
11-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Cave, congrats on the buck! However, you are much to healthy/skinny :lool:

It's a genetic trait of the Cave family I'm afraid. We are thin and wirey males.

old Grump
11-14-2011, 11:37 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg5/scaled.php?server=5&filename=1003161z.jpg&res=medium

Shot by my little cousin at 1530 hours today the 14th just north of Rhinelander Wisconsin on his own land. Him and his trusty little bow and arrow. I think he gets more deer with that then he does his gun. The biggest deer he has ever shot and it measured 19" at the widest part of the rack. He is going to be insufferable for the rest of this year I am afraid.

Dieselbuilder
11-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Nice looking deer guys. :thumbspbig:

Saw a nice buck tonight about a mile north of where we plan on hunting. My cousin is the caretaker of that ranch so I called him and asked about hunting there. He said that the absentee owner GAVE the hunting rights to some dipstick from New York! :crying:

On a good point, in the area we are planning on hunting I saw 3 does cross a ridge and head down the draw but I had forgot my binoculars so I lost sight of them and couldn't tell if they dropped down into the draw or went along the ridge beside the draw and dropped over the end of the ridge into the river bottom.

NewbieAKguy
11-21-2011, 11:23 PM
I was able to fill both of my tags this past weekend (opening weekend shotgun; fri, sat, sun). I'm more for filling the freezer than trophy hunting, so I shoot what comes along first.

Friday I filled my either-sex tag with a decent sized 4-point buck...was tempted to let him pass, but like I said I didn't want to risk the chance of not seeing anything else rest of season. It was windy as heck and nowhere near the shots I usually hear opening weekend. Saturday, of course it had to happen; a nice 8 or 9 point buck comes walking along, stops within 20 yards or less with a perfect broadside shot...just as big if not bigger than my biggest buck I took last year. FIGURES!!! LOL. I tried to buy another either-sex tag after hunting hours, but no luck cuz all the places in town were sold out :(, anterless/doe tags only. Oh well, that's life sometimes. Windy as heck again saturday too with not many shots around. Sunday I was able to fill my antler-less/doe tag for my buddy around 945. Wind finally died down and shots all around me as is usually the case. Also saw the big boy again (not sure if him cuz partially hidden by trees) and another doe that wouldn't stop running so no clear shot.

Will be picking up my meat from butcher on wed. morning....woooooo jalepano n cheese slim jims!!! I give my buddy the other deer as a gift to him and his family because they let me hunt there, plus not enough freezer space yet :wink:. Think I'll be buying a couple more tags next year for the chance of the buck situation repeating itself in the future, LoL. I admit I'm surprised I saw as many bucks if not more than does last couple years. Not complaining tho! Just wish I had been able to take a pic of the bruiser buck.

Almost forgot, while sitting through the high wind gusts and trying to stay awake, a very vocal rooster pheasant was keeping me entertained during the weekend. Flushed up a couple of his lady friends while loading up the deer. Won't be hunting him; small piece of land and would rather let him and his ladies made some youngins for the future :).

El Jefe
11-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Good job. That fork horn would be a no-no in my county, gotta have at least 4 points on one side. I nearly took a doe yesterday, but she bolted at the last second. :crybaby:

NewbieAKguy
11-23-2011, 12:13 AM
Good job. That fork horn would be a no-no in my county, gotta have at least 4 points on one side. I nearly took a doe yesterday, but she bolted at the last second. :crybaby:

Been there!

Doubleshot
12-04-2011, 04:53 AM
I spend 2 days out and came home with nothing.

El Jefe
12-04-2011, 10:06 AM
I spend 2 days out and came home with nothing.

Welcome. :)

Did you see many deer?

Dieselbuilder
12-05-2011, 12:22 AM
I got my first ever deer today! :bigsmilebounce:

It was a long story so I put it in it's own thread here...
http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?14316-An-anniversary-I-will-never-forget!&p=187595#post187595

El Jefe
12-05-2011, 09:25 AM
:the-man: