PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom from ADM Rickover

ltorlo64
11-06-2011, 01:01 PM
"Since the end of WWII, the numer of high grade civilians in relation to the total (federal government) workforce has steadily increased to the point where we have more managers and checkers than we have doers.

Our senior employees have been schooled in this 'new' philosophy which holds that, as long as a person is well versed in a few simple rules of how to handle people and situations, he need not know anything about the details of the programs he is managing or the increasingly sophisticated technologies on which many of these programs are based. This has allowed the non-professional to achieve high status and high pay within the government. If trouble erupts, they can then blame those beneath them or those who preceded them. Until this false concept is rooted out of teh federal government, we cannot expect the American people to retain their trust in government. In fact, they should not."

ADM H. G. Rickover

This quote is probably about 40 years old and it rings truer now than when he said it. Here is a link to the more complete quote http://www.nightscribe.com/Military/rickover_basic_rules.htm

alismith
11-06-2011, 01:36 PM
"this 'new' philosophy which holds that, as long as a person is well-versed in a few simple rules of how to handle people and situations, he need not know
anything about the details of the programs he is managing or the
increasingly sophisticated technologies on which many of these
programs are based." http://www.nightscribe.com/Military/rickover_basic_rules.htm

We had a "second-in-command" who NEVER taught in a public school classroom who was responsible for implementing the county's curriculum. He had no clue what would, or wouldn't, work in the classroom, but that never stopped him. Some of his "ideas" were borderline insane. And, if we didn't make them work, we caught the brunt of the failures. At best, we managed to maintain where we were. It's amazing how many needless problems he caused, and how many good teachers left the classroom during his reign.

Warthogg
11-06-2011, 01:59 PM
....rooted out of teh federal government....

:biggrina:

Wart

Warthogg
11-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Interesting Trivia?
Admiral Rickover got his fourth star from CNO Elmo Zumwalt

Well schitttt, I thought Rickover retired with three stars. Wrong again.

Wart

MR. Polytech
11-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Rickover. Father of the Nuclear Navy...He was in my Dads graduating class at Annapolis. (my Dad's 97 & still kicking.)

Warthogg
11-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Rickover. Father of the Nuclear Navy...He was in my Dads graduating class at Annapolis. (my Dad's 97 & still kicking.)

My congratulations to your Dad.

Wart

old Grump
11-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Rickover was a prick and a pain in the ass but said what he meant and damn the torpedoes he pressed ahead to get what he thought needed doing. My kind of senior officer, unfortunately a rarity in any age.

ltorlo64
11-06-2011, 05:04 PM
When I am typing I get the 'h' and the 'e' backwards alot. What a bother.

Or should I write botehr.

ltorlo64
11-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Rickover was a prick and a pain in the ass but said what he meant and damn the torpedoes he pressed ahead to get what he thought needed doing. My kind of senior officer, unfortunately a rarity in any age.

I was trying to figure out a way to describe him, but you hit the nail right on the head.

Warthogg
11-06-2011, 06:10 PM

......a rarity in any age.

Even more rare was a congress with a clue. The Navy was gonna throw Rickover out (force him to retire) as a Captain but congress intervened and made him an Rear Admiral.

Wart

ltorlo64
11-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Even more rare was a congress with a clue. The Navy was gonna throw Rickover out (force him to retire) as a Captain but congress intervened and made him an Rear Admiral.

Wart

That was a two-edged sword. It gave him the pull he needed to get the nuclear Navy started. It also caused him to think he was above the law and forget just who he worked for. That was his demise. If he would have treated President Reagan with respect, he probably would still be on active duty. Instead he was retired in a rather rapid fashion.

old Grump
11-06-2011, 08:23 PM

WartGot all my info from people who had served on nuclear Submarines and one of my bosses had been on the Nautilus in 58 when it made it's cruise under the north pole. When he came aboard he got in everybody's way and made a pain in the ass out of himself but they all loved the fact that they had the duty they did because of his efforts.