PDA

View Full Version : Dove Hunting

recon
08-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Dove Hunting anybody? Can't wait!
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&mode=article&objectID=30229

El Jefe
08-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Gotta wait till September here, but yeah I'm planning on going out a few times. I know of two good spots that aren't hunted on by anyone else. Lots of doves and not to shy at first.

slamfire51
08-13-2010, 11:55 PM
I'll be out at noon on the 1st.
I think I'll go to Horton State Park and practice at the skeet range....if it's not hotter than Hades.

Can't wait.

Partisan1983
08-14-2010, 08:02 AM
I wish I could here.

The fuckin sheeple voted to ban it after one season.

Won't be too long before they do the same for everything else.....

slamfire51
08-14-2010, 09:01 AM
I wish I could here.

The fuckin sheeple voted to ban it after one season.

Won't be too long before they do the same for everything else.....

I've heard states ban dove hunting because of religious reasons. Noah's ark and the dove finding land after the flood..correct?
Anyway, the mourning dove wasn't the species that said, "Land HO".

Dan Morris
08-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Ole goat may not go this year....guy lost the place I've been going....."change"...
Any one got any suggestions in the Denver metro area???????????????
Dan

00RedZX-6R
08-16-2010, 09:14 AM
I've heard states ban dove hunting because of religious reasons. Noah's ark and the dove finding land after the flood..correct?
Anyway, the mourning dove wasn't the species that said, "Land HO".

Here they claimed it was a song bird.

2rowdy
08-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Ready for Sep. 1 already got my sick day planned.

slamfire51
08-16-2010, 10:47 AM
I've seen a bunch graveling along side the roads.

Thing is, every year except 2006, a cold front came through, either on opening day or a couple before, and pushed a majority of the birds South.
Still had good shooting though.

AKTexas
08-16-2010, 11:43 AM
The deer lease I hunt is full of doves.We have the incas and white wings.I might go out and do a couple of days when it gets a little cooler,too damn hot in September down in Del Rio.

I'm about 50% when shooting clays but live birds I do very well.

phoenixp160
03-31-2011, 02:39 AM
Dove hunting is a great sport for any hunting enthusiast. Young or old, it can be enjoyed by everyone, unlike other types of hunting like elk hunting or wild.

sutindaya
04-22-2011, 04:43 AM
http://www.argentinadoveandduck.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Dove-hunting-argentina.jpg
It's pathetic....

slamfire51
04-22-2011, 08:23 AM
http://www.argentinadoveandduck.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Dove-hunting-argentina.jpg
It's pathetic....

Argentina is a major fly way for dove.
The pic shows a lot of birds, but they are considered pest, and are killed as so, not a food source.
Gazillion birds in the flyway, so that amount of dead birds is like a drop in a bucket.

romak10/63UF
04-22-2011, 12:47 PM
I go hunting for elk , deer , an bear... but i cant bring myself to shoot a dove... when i see a dove i see peacefulness kindness an love... to each there own... but i trully love doves...:love4:

slamfire51
04-22-2011, 12:51 PM
I go hunting for elk , deer , an bear... but i cant bring myself to shoot a dove... when i see a dove i see peacefulness kindness an love... to each there own... but i trully love doves...:love4:

The mourning dove is not the one referred to in the Bible after Noah saw land.
Different species all together. Mourning is the game bird in most States. All others are protected.

I love dove breast for breakfast. YUM!!!

Schuetzenman
04-22-2011, 06:25 PM
I love dove hunting and the way they taste. The breast is kind of liver like in taste. I cook with a piece of baccon wrapped around the breast and pinned in place with a tooth pick. Been 14 years at least since I last went.

AKTexas
04-22-2011, 07:35 PM

I do too wrapped in bacon stuffed with onion and jalapenos and grilled.

ready
04-22-2011, 11:00 PM
Can you eat pigeons, too? There's a ton of those that hang out on the electrical lines out back.

slamfire51
04-23-2011, 06:32 AM
Can you eat pigeons, too? There's a ton of those that hang out on the electrical lines out back.

Yes you can, the young ones called Squabs.
Not the mature birds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squab_%28food%29

Partisan1983
04-26-2011, 01:39 AM
Yes you can, the young ones called Squabs.
Not the mature birds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squab_%28food%29

How come you cannot eat mature ones ?

slamfire51
04-26-2011, 07:09 AM
How come you cannot eat mature ones ?

I guess you can. Never heard of anyone eating them, but if a person is hungry enough and no other food is available................

Partisan1983
04-27-2011, 01:49 AM
I guess you can. Never heard of anyone eating them, but if a person is hungry enough and no other food is available................

I was curious. I remember stories from my grandmother about restaurants in NYC killing and preparing "fresh" pigeons.

slamfire51
04-27-2011, 05:27 AM
I was curious. I remember stories from my grandmother about restaurants in NYC killing and preparing "fresh" pigeons.

I wouldn't doubt it at all.
A man, who was a kid during the Great Depression, told me red breasted Robins were caught while they roosted and later eaten.

AKTexas
04-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Ever heard of squab? In Europe and other parts they consider pigeon to be a delicacy.

I lived in Louisiana for a couple years growing up. My neighbors were born and raised there I used go out back and hunt Robins in the woods with a friend using pellet guns.

We breast them and plop them in a stew pot. 20-30 Robins went a long way.

I ate stuff there I have not had here in Texas in over 25 years.

JTHunter
06-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Put a bunch of breasts in a 13 x 9 cake pan, sprinkle with your choice of spices, add 1/2 cup white wine and seal with foil.
Cook for 20-30 minutes at 325. Check at 20 minutes to check "doneness" then let go longer if necessary.

old Grump
06-07-2011, 11:35 PM
You can eat mature pigeons, its kind of hard not to if you shoot a pigeon because its a little hard to age them on the wing. The only thing is they will be tougher than squab and to be safe you want to make sure they are well cooked to avoid the little bugs some of them might have. I've eaten a lot of pigeon pan fried salt and peppered and plop them on a paper plate like finger food. I prefer Dove but will happily eat pigeon. Barn pigeons are corn fed and you can't ask for better. Not to sure I would have the guts to eat a city pigeon, they are scavengers and I have seen some of the crap they eat.

Problem in my case is Doves feed on the ground around my feeders all summer long but they are migratory and by the time hunting season hits my corner of the world they are hard to find. Heavy sigh.

El Jefe
10-05-2011, 11:28 AM
This was a crappy year for doves. Not sure why exactly, but we didn't see the numbers we have in years past. Plus the first week or two of the season it was too damned hot to get interested. But the boy got a few with the new 20 gauge 870 he got for Christmas, so I'm calling the season a success. :)