PDA

View Full Version : nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy

old Grump
11-07-2011, 03:23 PM
So there I lay in my bed at 0330 wondering about the advances in prosthetics like the electronic eye enabling people to see and hands that use nerve signals from the owner of the prosthetic to control it and I am wondering about the people who for one reason or another, disease or accident who have lost their sense of smell and/or taste so I get up at 0400 and turn on the computer and lo and behold see what I found. Then I hear an interview on BBS by one of the developers who worked on the tongue was explaining that it can be used to find out which foods taste good, way beyond the scope of this article.

What won't they think of next? I wonder if they can get that tongue down small enough to implant in people and hard wire it to their brains.

Beats the hell out of stoning somebody to death because someone doesn't like the way they dress or their choice of sexual partners or were born in the wrong tribe or go to the wrong church.

“Magnetic tongue” ready to help produce tastier processed foods

Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry
The "electronic nose," which detects odors, has a companion among emerging futuristic "e-sensing" devices intended to replace abilities that once were strictly human-and-animal-only. It is a "magnetic tongue" — a method used to "taste" food and identify ingredients that people describe as sweet, bitter, sour, etc. A report on use of the method to taste canned tomatoes appears in ACS' Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

http://portal.acs.org/portal/acs/corg/content?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PP_ARTICLEMAIN&node_id=223&content_id=CNBP_028567&use_sec=true&sec_url_var=region1&__uuid=20115621-c3e3-49f9-8fa9-fe4fee75c5b2

LAGC
11-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Yep, science is going to start delivering us some pretty cool breakthroughs in the coming decades ahead.

Beats the heck out of the same ol' regurgitated stuff that religion has to offer for us.