PDA

View Full Version : Starline Brass - resizing question

Mark Ducati
11-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Did I mess up?

I bought a few hundred rounds of 50AE Starline brand new brass from Midway...

It came today, shiny and no primer...

So, I started running the brass through the first resizing/depriming dye (even though there is no primer) and the stuff was feeding VERY easy.... so I thought I didn't need to "resize" the brass.

Then I started priming all my brass... then thought maybe I should have "resized" regardless of it being new brass...

So, I called Starline directly.... the tech told me that what he does is to "crimp" or "bell out" the top of the brass to accept the bullet... only, no primer and no powder... then seat the bullet as you normally would. He said if it seats the bullet normally (not too tight or too loose, he said said I didn't need to resize with "fresh/new brass".

Well, I did just that... everything seemed to fit fine. I even chambered that round and it loaded normally into my pistol... I checked the COAL of the round before chambering and after, the bullet length was the same.

So I pulled that "test bullet" out with a kinetic hammer (I did resize that single brass shell as I seated a bullet in it).

Then I primed the rest of my brass...

What do you think, should I have "resized" all that new brass regardless?

I haven't belled the mouth yet, nor put powder in.... I figure if I really should have resized the brass, I could just take the depriming pin out and use the resizing dye with out it... or is that dangerous with a live primer in the bullet? I don't see how as there's nothing to tap the primer on the inside or the outside?

Mark Ducati
11-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Just got off the phone with Schuetz...

For those interested, Schuetz's expertise concurred with the tech from Starline...

I should be good to go :)

Schuetzenman
11-09-2011, 07:45 PM
:thumbsup::wavey:No problem Mark. I enjoyed the conversation at the end of a hard day. Yes you are good to go.