PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal?

RCS
11-10-2011, 08:17 PM
So I've been venturing into the world of swapping out my 5.56/223 AR for a 9mm. Have the upper sold, looking for the best 9mm upper to replace , best magblock--all that jazz. I've heard Spikes and Hahn are the way to go. Now, I found this a little over a week ago, and I'm wondering if it's worth it:
Spikes upper Conversion Kit (http://vtsupply.com/spike-39-s-tactical-9mm-complete-upper-drop-in-kit-magwell-included.html)

Does that sound like it's worth a grand to you guys? I've been looking around and found a few more, but not many are free-floated. I'm planning to send it out to SRT Arms sometime next year, so free-floating is important (don't want to have to drop money on a free-floating handguard and all that).

Also, I'm kicking around the idea of selling my lower to buy one that accepts Glock mags. Decisions, decisions.

ETA: My wife's rifle is 5.56/223 with a .22 LR conversion kit, so I have those two calibers taken care of, before anyone asks. I just wanted something in the "fun" category.:wildshooter:

Schuetzenman
11-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Personally I don't get into the 9 mm AR carbine thing. The only one I ever shot that I liked was a registred M16 in 9 mm with a 10" barrel on it, now that's fun.

I have an Uzi semi and frankly it's boring a shit to me, I never use it. Not loud, no real recoil, not overly accurate and definitely not as cheap to shoot as .22LR.

I built a dedicated upper and dropped it on a Rock River lower with T6 type stock on it. Uses Black Dog Machine .22 LR mags. Cheap to shoot, good training for my full caliber AR and some day if I get a complete full caliber uppper, that weapon in 60 seconds can be a full caliber .223 / 5.56 chambered AR rifle suitibale for more than just fun plinking at low cost. My 2 cents.

kimberkid
11-13-2011, 05:01 PM
seems kinda high to me ... and like Schuetzenman I've never been too impressed with 9mm semi-otto carbines
I've had UZI's and I have a SBR'd MP5 clone but it rarely gets to the range, in semi they just aren't that much fun ...

... now, if they are full-otto thats a horse of a different color!

My 22's get much more use than the 9's

RCS
11-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Oh, I was planning on getting a SSAR-15 stock for it. Then sometime next year sending it off to SRT Arms to get it integrally suppressed.

Anyway, I've been looking at CMMG's uppers, and I think I'll hit them up. I can get one from a distributor for around $519 (to around $550), Spikes magblock, some uzi mags, a rear sight and some ammo an still come up under the price above.