PDA

View Full Version : Okay, how many of YOU can do this?????

tank_monkey
11-14-2011, 03:34 PM
I was starting to feel faint towards the end. The guy is just holding his video camera, at times with both hands, no safety harness at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsGC0lZ-5g8

cevulirn
11-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Hell no! I'm to smart to do that!

Warthogg
11-14-2011, 03:54 PM
I could watch McCain and Pelosi do that. Then Schumer and Boehner......and then Maxine and......

Wart

Kadmos
11-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Spectacular, I'd love the chance. I remember reading about those in National geographic as a kid, carved stone steps dating back nearly 2,000 years.

Amazing to me how clear the view was, I remember in the pictures that most of the time there was a level of cloud and mist that hung maybe 20 meters below the path

old Grump
11-14-2011, 04:13 PM
40 years and a hundred pounds ago I would have matched him step for step but today I am content to sit in my chair and watch the youngsters play. Going up on towers to change the aircraft warning lights was a favorite job of mine. No bosses to yell at you and nobody willing to come up and interrupt you to do some little piddling side job as long as you were there.

In New Mexico I only had one friend who would climb the rock walls with me, today he is trying to recuperate from a heart/lung transplant and cancer. Oh what a difference a few decades make.

Full Otto
11-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Walking it is the easy part. Who installed it?

Kadmos
11-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Walking it is the easy part. Who installed it?

Taoist Monks mostly. I doubt they had much in the way of safety gear. Just imagine carving out your next step

Solidus-snake
11-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Cant say id be too eager to try it. I have a wife to take care of

O.S.O.K.
11-14-2011, 08:40 PM
The older I get, the more heights bother me. That looks crazy though, I could do it if I had too - there's the chains to hold on to all the way. I did some rock climbing and rapeling just a few years back with my son at Philmont - Boy Scout ranch in NM. We also did the Mesa Verde thing a few years back - some cliff crawling there... but it does bother me no lie.

And I agree, the really hard part was the making of this path. Wow.

PROBASCO
11-14-2011, 08:58 PM
For experienced cliff climbers, it really is not much especially with all the chains, posts and steps. I agree with Kadmos, putting all of that in would have been the fun part. Done some mountaineering back in the day on the east face of the west hills at Donner lake in Calif. (when I drank alot) straight up is always interesting, but not anywhere near the fall like that in the video. One would have a lot of time to think on the way down..

Penguin
11-14-2011, 10:07 PM
I will pass. Though it looks like fun and I sure as heck would not do it with you the safety harness. I have to give a lot of credit though to who ever made and maintains it, that can't have been fun.

ltorlo64
11-14-2011, 10:32 PM
I was nervous sitting on my couch watching this. That guy is nuts.

Charliebravo
11-14-2011, 10:59 PM
There would be a trail of shit all the way to the valley below. I don't dig on heights.

coppertales
11-15-2011, 08:15 AM
that is why I took up splunking in my younger days. A long fall does not exist when it is dark and you cannot see it. Sort of like hiding under the covers so the zombies that are under the bed or in the closet cannot get you. Now, a 6 ft ladder gives me the shakes.....chris3

Solidus-snake
11-15-2011, 10:12 AM
40 years and a hundred pounds ago I would have matched him step for step but today I am content to sit in my chair and watch the youngsters play. Going up on towers to change the aircraft warning lights was a favorite job of mine. No bosses to yell at you and nobody willing to come up and interrupt you to do some little piddling side job as long as you were there.

In New Mexico I only had one friend who would climb the rock walls with me, today he is trying to recuperate from a heart/lung transplant and cancer. Oh what a difference a few decades make.

Of course. Hearty people dontcha know.

mrkalashnikov
11-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Nice mountain view.

Warthogg
11-15-2011, 02:51 PM
I took up spelunking in my younger days.

Would have given you a leg up getting into the Submarine Service.

Wart

American Rage
11-15-2011, 06:08 PM
No, no, no, no, no, and hell no

I'm crazy, not stupid.

Besides, I suffer from vertigo

shit, the damned video was scary enough for me!

rahatlakhoom
11-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Very scenic.
And I would do it without hesitation.
I do have my limits.

Here's something that I fear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrX0ohmu1zw&feature=related

tank_monkey
11-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Very scenic.
And I would do it without hesitation.
I do have my limits.

Here's something that I fear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrX0ohmu1zw&feature=related

The difference between this and free solo climbers is that I always considered most free solo climbers to be top notch athletes at the top of their game and they go where most hikers, tourists and casual climbers cannot. So I don't have that trepidation I do with others. Now this trail in the video is a TOURIST TRAIL that regular people like you and me are expected to cross!

rahatlakhoom
11-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I agree.
Didn't mean to alter or hijack your post.
Thanks for the Vid.
It really is an awesome traverse.

:wink: