PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys hunt with a crossbow?

El Jefe
11-20-2011, 03:14 PM
If so, what do you use?

TIA. :)

El Jefe
11-24-2011, 03:39 PM
No one, really?

Guess I'll have to go it alone! ;)

old Grump
11-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Horton Pro 175 with a detachable hand crank to cock it because my old shoulders don't work that good anymore. Topped with a Horton 4x32 scope because old eyeballs have a hard time picking up those pegs in bad light and it never seems to be bright ans sun shiny when I go out. I preferred my Bear recurve but those days are gone now and as long as I qualify for the crossbow I can keep on flinging sticks with sharp pointy things on the end of them.

El Jefe
11-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Horton Pro 175 with a detachable hand crank to cock it because my old shoulders don't work that good anymore. Topped with a Horton 4x32 scope because old eyeballs have a hard time picking up those pegs in bad light and it never seems to be bright ans sun shiny when I go out. I preferred my Bear recurve but those days are gone now and as long as I qualify for the crossbow I can keep on flinging sticks with sharp pointy things on the end of them.

Cool! I'm going to get one because with all the titanium I'm packing around, it'll be easy to get the okay from the MCD.

Mainly I'm wanting to take advantage of our 4 month long archery deer season.

Right now I'm looking at rigs from Parker, Excalibur and Wicked Ridge.

Our local mom and pop archery shops don't cater much to the crossbow hunter, because you have to get a Doctors exemption to use them, so not much demand I guess. But, Bass Pro carries several, and our local shop will order the Parker's.

I love the idea of Deer season starting in mid September and not ending until mid January! :ylsuper:

OG, do you hunt much with your Horton? Has it been dependable? :)

old Grump
11-24-2011, 06:34 PM
OG, do you hunt much with your Horton? Has it been dependable? :)Dependable yes. I broke my old one when I let the bolt on the arm get loose and it literally blew up when I was trying to restring it. Parts all over my shop:crying: It was a Barnett 150 pound Xbow and while the fault was mine I was still a bit disappointed in it. It had a tendency to string the bolts vertically but that was probably because I screwed up putting it together.

I like this one because it shoots pretty consistent groups and with the scope I can get on target pretty quick. I limit myself to 35 yards and I can use it for turkey and deer. So far it's still a cherry. Mostly because I can't get out and walk the woods and get to the good places like I used to. I set up my blind as best I can and then have to wait, hope and pray. It's a heavy sucker but that's okay, it sits still in my arms in offhand shooting.

El Jefe
11-24-2011, 07:44 PM
You know, I had a guy on another hunting forum tell me yesterday that he had had a bad experience with a Barnett unit. His had issues straight from the box, so he sent it back and bought a 10 Point. I wouldn't mind trying a 10 Point crossbow, but they're kinda pricey.

I really want to look at the Excalibur's. I think I like the idea of the simpler recurve design.

Leonardabel
12-23-2011, 06:56 AM
As general perception lot of peoples likes hunt so they utilize crossbow so we will be remind all aspects and having a best role in life so we will be ready for best and be motivate all stages.

old Grump
12-23-2011, 04:20 PM
:oh:
I'm trying but I have no idea what you just said.

AKTexas
12-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Texas Parks and Wildlife only recently allowed the usage of crossbows. First it was not an option, then only to those with an impairment of upper body strength or some shit like that. Then it was only allowed during rifle season. Now it is open during bow and rifle season.

I used to bow hunt then my bow was stolen. I have not gotten back into archery since. A lost art and skill I would not mind falling back on. Not to hunt earlier but as a bit of challenge to the hunt.

I used to not see much point in using a crossbow when a rifle is much more efficient. I can see the usage in a short range limited acreage hunting land. The price of a good rig both bow and crossbow can set you back as much as a good rifle with good glass.

AKTexas
12-23-2011, 06:27 PM
As general perception lot of peoples likes hunt so they utilize crossbow so we will be remind all aspects and having a best role in life so we will be ready for best and be motivate all stages.

English? Do you speak it?