PDA

View Full Version : How far can doe in heat scents pull in a buck?

Dieselbuilder
11-20-2011, 07:45 PM
I have seen several bucks less than 1/2 mile north from lane we are authorized to hunt. The wind in the area is predominately from the south so my question is, if I hang a doe in heat dripper scent could it pull the bucks out of their normal area?

Since this is my first time hunting I would sure like to be able to take one of the bucks down.

El Jefe
11-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Well, as we know, deer have extremely sensitive noses. The wind obviously is the big factor, but I'm thinking if down wind from your scent dripper that a buck would probably smell it. Assuming something doesn't distract him before he got to you there's a good chance he'd come check into it.

blobman
11-20-2011, 10:57 PM
oh he'll smell it

El Jefe
11-22-2011, 08:32 AM
So, Diesel, did you get to try it out, any luck?

Dieselbuilder
11-22-2011, 09:12 PM
So, Diesel, did you get to try it out, any luck?

LOL, So far I have just been scouting. I won't get to try until next Wed. Rifle Season in Kansas starts the first Wed after Thanksgiving.

Went out and helped my brother work some calves Sunday and on the way home... saw 4 does running into the woods about 200 yards north of the fence line, stopped and had the binocs on them and they just flat disappeared! I could see the whole river bottom both ways and the bank on the other side and nothing. :think2:
So I put the binocs down and started to go on, and an at least 6 point buck ran right in front of my truck about 15 yards away! Drove about another 200 yards and crossed the river... and a doe was going left and a nice size buck was on the right. I couldn't tell about his rack because his antlers were behind some limbs as he stood and looked at me for about 30 seconds before turning and heading deeper into the woods.

So there are several in the area so hopefully they will still be interested in a week and I can pull them in.

Next year I plan on being better prepared as there is a small park just south of the fence line where I am going to try and put in a food plot.

I will keep you updated on how it goes after next Wed. ;)

btcave
11-22-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm curous if it will work too. Good luck D!

Alpha_Male
11-22-2011, 10:15 PM
If the wind carries the scent it could be as far as a mile. Don't just count on female scent but male scrapes as well.