PDA

View Full Version : what if the 2nd was the 1st

charger0122
08-14-2010, 08:00 PM
opinions please.think it would change anything, as in how the county has become? or would it have any change at all? would it be the same ole shit different day?

swampdragon
08-14-2010, 08:04 PM
opinions please.think it would change anything, as in how the county has become? or would it have any change at all? would it be the same ole shit different day?

Same shit different day.
If the 2nd were to be changed at all, it should have been worded better so that anti-gun fucksticks couldn't argue with it at all.

old Grump
08-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Just between you and me and the neighbors dog I don't think it makes much difference which order the first 10 were put in but I am happy with the order they are in now.

F-16 CHIEF
08-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Wouldn't make a difference.

You'd just have people saying to repeal the 1st. Same liberals, different number.

swampdragon
08-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Wouldn't make a difference.

You'd just have people saying to repeal the 1st. Same liberals, different number.

Exactly.

mriddick
08-14-2010, 09:54 PM
When the first local gun laws were passed way back in 1806 it wasn't fought on constitutional grounds giving over 200 years of precedents for the fed allowing infringement of the second by local governments. I think the 1806 law and those afterwards would of happened even if the 2nd was the 1st so in the end we'd still have the precedent of the courts allowing gun control laws we have today.

You might win a few more minds with the argument of it's the first but what gave us the first gun control laws was slave owners hoping to stop blacks from owning guns. This action inadvertently put us on a path where local gov't could infringe upon our rights laid down in the BOR, something I think we are just now starting to fight back against.

The first on the other hand has always been fought on constitutional grounds every time it's been tried to restrict it (1798 was the first attempt). Every time court action has been used to push back the laws restricting the first. So in the end you have two amendments, one has always been defended, the other languished without protection for almost a century before gun owners organized to stand up for their right.