PDA

View Full Version : TZ99?

Prometheus168
08-14-2010, 10:02 PM
What does anyone know about the TZ99? I have seen them shot on "Top Shot" and they seem like a good little pistol. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of them?

Rusty

RJ Shooter
08-14-2010, 10:06 PM
I've picked a few up, but have never shot one. The look and feel like a SIG... And I love Top Shot! ;)

...Go JJ!

mriddick
08-14-2010, 10:10 PM
If I got the right pistol in mind they are very much Sig like. However every time I've seen one people are asking around $400-450 for them which puts them out of my consideration for what I consider an off brand.

Gunreference1
08-14-2010, 10:41 PM
If it's marked TZ99 it was made in South Africa. Originally produced as a commercial venture by the Crvena Zastava factory located in Kragujevac, Yugoslavia, in the late 1980's. Called the CZ99, it departed from the P226 in a number of ways. To begin with, the slide was made from a single piece of forged and milled steel, in contrast to P226's stamped sheet steel slide and press-fit breech block. The number of controls has been reduced from three to two by having the decocking lever serve double duty as the slide stop lever, and all controls save the takedown lever are ambidextrous. A loaded chamber indicator was also added. Only a very small number, less than 1,000 by most accounts were imported to the United States. The CZ99 was available in both .40 S&W and 9x19mm

If imitation is the measure of success, then the Zastava CZ99 was wildly popular. Manufacturers in a number of countries sought to produce the gun locally, some with, some without licensure. Israel was one of the countries that actually produced and exported CZ99 copy. The Israeli pistol, known as the "Golan," was much less nicely finished and machined than the Yugoslavian original, often with visible external tool marks. Nevertheless, the guns were reliable and accurate. As with the original CZ99, only a very few were imported in the early 1990's.

In the early 1990's Crvena Zastava entered into a licensing agreement with a South African company called Tressitu, which had made a name for itself in the small arms industry with an innovative submachinegun called the BX9. Tressitu collaborated closely with the Yugoslavians to produce a licensed copy of the CZ99 to be called the TZ99, to be offered in both 9x19mm and .40 S&W. As it turned, out, the the TZ99 was only produced for a short period of time, as the company went out of business in the mid-1990's. A number of TZ99's remained in storage in South Africa until imported in mid-2000 by Southern Ammunition Company on behalf of PW Arms. The guns are available now from a number of distributors. Hope this helps!

Steve

bgummer
08-15-2010, 02:45 AM
Ghost Dog likes his...
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/uploads/187/ghostdog_louie.jpg

Prometheus168
08-16-2010, 01:00 AM
Does anyone know if the mags are interchangeable with SIG?

Polish Boy
08-16-2010, 01:57 AM

You know I never tried it but when I worked at the gun store I handled one of these. Which if I am thinking of the right gun is also what he is talking about. Looked just like a sig, just a little off. http://www.eaacorp.com/images/Zastava9MM-08.png

EAA carries them

mriddick
08-16-2010, 06:11 AM

I've been told no.