PDA

View Full Version : I did something today a Brit can't do

Goodman
11-28-2011, 07:39 PM
I did something today a Brit can't do. On a whim I decided to purchase a new rifle and hunt deer. Enjoy your factory processed meats Joey.

AND picked up a Crickett rifle for my daughter, so she too will grow up with a comfort level regarding firearms, not an irrational childish fear of a useful tool.

El Laton Caliente
11-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Goodman, I did this on Joey's Board yesterday...

http://politicsworldwide.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1331

Goodman
11-28-2011, 07:46 PM
You're too quick- I thought better of this thread and was going to pull it... too late! I had the idea Joey's similar thread was too far gone to post this comment to any great effect.
I'll look over the PWW thread. My only problem there is we always seem to end up nit-picking stuff to death.

mriddick
11-28-2011, 07:47 PM
This week I will close on 65 acres and a house for $144,000 usd :)

Schuetzenman
11-28-2011, 07:48 PM

Wow, now that's impressive!

Joey
11-28-2011, 07:49 PM

Crikey. That is something to envy. Good luck to you sir.

El Laton Caliente
11-28-2011, 07:54 PM

One heck of a buy. Your wife did great! I paid more and got less acres and thought I did good.

samiam

The question is where? I can find you the same deal in rural MO for 1/2 that but you'll be in the middle of nowhere 20+mile drive to get a pack of smokes

mriddick
Not to brag (yes that's a bold faced lie :) ) but you ought to check out the pictures from the threads about it you might of missed...
http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?13199-My-wife-bought-me-a-present&highlight=land
http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?13785-New-pictures-of-the-land&highlight=land

(you might notice in the threads I say my present was 62 acres and not 65, that is because I count the land as mine, the house with it's 3 acres my wifes :) ).

OSOK land thread...
http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?14136-Back-from-vacation-in-Miss-pics-and-vid-of-the-land&highlight=land

The question is where? I can find you the same deal in rural MO for 1/2 that but you'll be in the middle of nowhere 20+mile drive to get a pack of smokes10 miles from a decent size town (large enough to have a super Walmart), 20 minutes from E-town (as in the movie from a few years back) and less then an hour from Louisville. About the only down side is I'm about 30 minutes from LaRue county and the likes themrmitch... :)

El Laton Caliente
11-28-2011, 07:57 PM

Check the picture threads mriddick and OSOK have going, they both bought beautiful places. Mriddick's place has caves...

O.S.O.K.
11-28-2011, 10:15 PM
mriddick, that is an outstanding deal - that land is really something special. Congrats!

And thanks for the compliments to my place :)

Having some land is good :) And it may be a lifesaver the way things are "progressing" - pun intended...

TheMrMitch
11-28-2011, 10:19 PM
"About the only down side is I'm about 30 minutes from LaRue county and the likes themrmitch... "

I resemble that remark!:slap:

mriddick
11-28-2011, 10:39 PM
"About the only down side is I'm about 30 minutes from LaRue county and the likes themrmitch... "

I resemble that remark!:slap:

You know I'm always testing to see if you read my posts... :)

El Jefe
11-28-2011, 11:25 PM

Wait, what? Is this a different property than the one with the caves?

mriddick
11-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Wait, what? Is this a different property than the one with the caves?

Nope the same, we are finally having our closing this week...

I wonder what 65 acres and a house costs in England?... I guess with the banning now we'll never know :) :) :) (is it too soon?)

El Jefe
11-28-2011, 11:52 PM

I wonder what 65 acres and a house costs in England?... I guess with the banning now we'll never know :) :) :) (is it too soon?)

Cool, I thought for a second there you were becoming a land baron.;)

And the limey dips hit is gone, too bad I suppose. I never had the chance to tell him what I thought of him. *sigh* :)

JVD
11-29-2011, 12:10 AM
wow, do you guys own the Off topic forum over there? I see more names from here than from there!

TheMrMitch
11-29-2011, 12:37 AM
I haven't been 'over there' yet, but I busted some Tannerite from my back door just to hear it go.

Going family visiting and polished my 1911 .45 apc holster for open carry at the diner.

Might just buy another AR15 on the way home.

I LOVE AMERICA!

L1A1Rocker
11-29-2011, 01:49 AM
What sux though, is what the Brits can do that we cannot; buy a suppressor at a hardware store with no paperwork, no photos, no fingerprints, no $200 tax, and no 3 month wait!

Solidus-snake
11-29-2011, 02:16 AM

You mean around Hodgenville? Sounds like I might pass your house on tge drive to Louisville I make every month.

Helen Keller
11-29-2011, 06:51 AM
I did something today a Brit can't do

I BRUSHED MY TEETH!

coppertales
11-29-2011, 09:47 AM
a house on two acres with lake access for 44,000 last month. As with the other guys, I can shoot off my deck.....There is a liquor store about a mile away. Do the Brits have any food that is worth a heck? chris3

El Jefe
11-29-2011, 09:57 AM
a house on two acres with lake access for 44,000 last month. As with the other guys, I can shoot off my deck.....There is a liquor store about a mile away. Do the Brits have any food that is worth a heck? chris3

I have found, that regardless of cost, it's next to impossible to buy a decent meal in London. Even restaurants requiring a jacket and tie, will serve you substandard fare. Now in the country side at some of the B&B's, you can get something decent to eat, but it's not guaranteed.

imanaknut
11-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Yep, had to do something that no Brit can do just to commemorate Joey and his last chance. I picked up a "large capacity ammunition feeding device", and moved it from one part of my safe of firearms to another.

And gave thanks that for the most part, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Solidus-snake
11-29-2011, 02:38 PM
I walked down the street and didnt feel probing electric eyes on my fucking back watching me like a criminal.

I looked in the mirror and smiled, and saw nice clean teeth instead of rotting stubs.

I looked over my health insurance forms that let me have a doctor of my choice.

I made toast in my toaster that I dont have to pay a fucking tax to own.

I got a drink from the local dine in with more than 4 pieces of ice in it!

I went to the gun range and unloaded a high cap magazine outta my "evil assault rifle"

I was able to go to work and not have to be defenseless for 30 minutes until the police show up if some guy came in and started stabbing or shooting people.

I was able to look in the mirror and know that I am a proud American that can keep my wife and family safe from all threats to the best of my abilities.

Thank God for our Rights as Americans and for the brave men who fought for them!

El Jefe
11-29-2011, 02:56 PM
I walked down the street and didnt feel probing electric eyes on my fucking back watching me like a criminal.

I looked in the mirror and smiled, and saw nice clean teeth instead of rotting stubs.

I looked over my health insurance forms that let me have a doctor of my choice.

I made toast in my toaster that I dont have to pay a fucking tax to own.

I got a drink from the local dine in with more than 4 pieces of ice in it!

I went to the gun range and unloaded a high cap magazine outta my "evil assault rifle"

I was able to go to work and not have to be defenseless for 30 minutes until the police show up if some guy came in and started stabbing or shooting people.

I was able to look in the mirror and know that I am a proud American that can keep my wife and family safe from all threats to the best of my abilities.

Thank God for our Rights as Americans and for the brave men who fought for them!

In London they treat you rudely if you ask for ice with a Coke. WTF?

Solidus-snake
11-29-2011, 03:01 PM

I know, my wifes been to London n told me about how damned stingy they are with the ice.

Gunner1558
11-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Last time I was in London, I didn't even buy a beer.

To-day I might have bought a gun, sold a gun, fired a gun, hunted with either a handgun, shotgun or rifle.. Matter of fact, I could do almost anything I want (within reason), concerning guns.

Lots of other things as well, but we are a gun forum.

El Jefe
11-29-2011, 03:16 PM
I know, my wifes been to London n told me about how damned stingy they are with the ice.

Nice combo, lousy food, poor service and luke warm drinks. :smiley20:

JAMC
11-29-2011, 03:22 PM
A 4 or 5 bedroom place with that much land is an unknown because essentially they don't exist.

A mansion may come with that much land, but you're talking millions of GBP.

A farmhouse with that much land wouldn't go for much less than the mansion in most areas, assuming the farm itself was a profitable going concern.

In fact, what I've said is slightly misleading. Agricultural land in the UK is relatively cheap, for the simple reason that it cannot legally be used for anything other than agriculture. What you're paying for in the sums above is the house - the bricks and mortar.

Anyone who's had the misfortune of becoming entangled in the UK planning system will understand why this is the case.

JAMC
11-29-2011, 03:29 PM

They were probably just a bit surprised. Two reasons we don't usually put ice in coke;
1. It's cold enough in this country already and the coke probably came from a fridge or chilled pub cellar - it doesn't normally need to be made cooler outside the height of summer.
2. The more ice you put in the glass, the less room there is to fit the actual liquid you're purchasing into it. To most Brits, with our culture of complaining if we're served anything less than "the full pint", this feels like we're being short-changed.

Krupski
11-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Not to brag (yes that's a bold faced lie :) ) but you ought to check out the pictures from the threads about it you might of missed...
http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?13199-My-wife-bought-me-a-present&highlight=land
http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?13785-New-pictures-of-the-land&highlight=land

Those pictures make me green with envy.... wow!

slamfire51
11-29-2011, 03:49 PM
They were probably just a bit surprised. Two reasons we don't usually put ice in coke;
1. It's cold enough in this country already and the coke probably came from a fridge or chilled pub cellar - it doesn't normally need to be made cooler outside the height of summer.
2. The more ice you put in the glass, the less room there is to fit the actual liquid you're purchasing into it. To most Brits, with our culture of complaining if we're served anything less than "the full pint", this feels like we're being short-changed.

Dang, my GF must be part Brit. She never wants ice in her drinks....dang!!!

mriddick
11-29-2011, 06:44 PM
A 4 or 5 bedroom place with that much land is an unknown because essentially they don't exist.

A mansion may come with that much land, but you're talking millions of GBP.

A farmhouse with that much land wouldn't go for much less than the mansion in most areas, assuming the farm itself was a profitable going concern.

In fact, what I've said is slightly misleading. Agricultural land in the UK is relatively cheap, for the simple reason that it cannot legally be used for anything other than agriculture. What you're paying for in the sums above is the house - the bricks and mortar.

Anyone who's had the misfortune of becoming entangled in the UK planning system will understand why this is the case.

Thanks for the info, I guess not all you Brits have been banned afterall...

Gun Toting Lefty
11-30-2011, 02:57 AM
Yep, had to do something that no Brit can do just to commemorate Joey and his last chance. I picked up a "large capacity ammunition feeding device", and moved it from one part of my safe of firearms to another.

And gave thanks that for the most part, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

you're slightly off with you're facts. for the most part there is no magazine capacity limit on our firearms.

nfa1934
11-30-2011, 03:27 AM
you're slightly off with you're facts. for the most part there is no magazine capacity limit on our firearms.

So, you can put a 33rd extended magazine in your Glock 19?

JAMC
11-30-2011, 04:10 AM
Dang, my GF must be part Brit. She never wants ice in her drinks....dang!!!
There is a way of testing this theory; ask her to make you a cup of tea.

If it's this colour...
http://www.dulux.co.uk/web/images/swatch/ivory.jpg
... she's a zero on the Britishness scale.

If it's this colour...
http://www.dulux.co.uk/web/images/swatch/amber_queen_1.jpg
...and tastes like you're sucking on the teabag, she's a 10 on the Britishness scale.

mriddick
11-30-2011, 06:40 AM
From an earlier thread where I got no answer...

My friend in London told me he had to upgrade his house with bars on his windows, a safe and a security system in order to own a bb gun... All because the local PD decided it needed to be done (no real reg just because the police in London felt it was needed). He had already given up a mosin, a no4 enfield and a few others due to gun laws that required him to be a member of a range or shooting club in order to own them. I believe he's also talked of regs where he can't own very many cartridges (maybe a box??) and then if he wanted more cartridges he had to turn in his empties before being allowed to buy more.

Any of this sound incorrect?

Does this sound true or not?

slamfire51
11-30-2011, 08:23 AM
There is a way of testing this theory; ask her to make you a cup of tea.

If it's this colour...
http://www.dulux.co.uk/web/images/swatch/ivory.jpg
... she's a zero on the Britishness scale.

If it's this colour...
http://www.dulux.co.uk/web/images/swatch/amber_queen_1.jpg
...and tastes like you're sucking on the teabag, she's a 10 on the Britishness scale.

I'd say it's somewhere between the two. Green tea is her favorite. She only drinks hot tea w/honey when she has a cold, otherwise it's fridge temperature. (35*)

insider
12-01-2011, 02:52 AM
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo151/insider/65200812613PM_america.jpg