PDA

View Full Version : Deer Season 2011 Del Rio

AKTexas
11-28-2011, 10:50 PM
5 Point Cull, old tiny buck

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy315/AKTexas1973/Deer%20Lease/photo2.jpg

Nice 10 point healthy buck.

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy315/AKTexas1973/Deer%20Lease/photo.jpg

My son and his big 8 pointer. Best part of our recent trip.

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy315/AKTexas1973/Deer%20Lease/photo1.jpg

10 button 4+ foot Western Diamondback Rattlesnake below my tree blind on the side of a cliff.

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy315/AKTexas1973/Deer%20Lease/untitled.jpg

slamfire51
11-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Nice huntin there Tex.
I bet your son was thrilled to death getting that deer. You guys did good!

You gonna cook up that Diamondback? Good eating for sure.

L1A1Rocker
11-29-2011, 01:55 AM
Good game management is a must in today's world. It takes patients, and a lot of self discipline but it does pay off. The rewards down the road are wonderful though. Congradulations!

El Jefe
11-29-2011, 11:11 AM
:thumbspbig: Good job! I like the look of that 10 point. You know that cull buck, would have cost me a $75 fine here in Cole County, under our antler restrictions. I personally like the AR's, but they're not perfect.

AKTexas
11-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Nice huntin there Tex.
I bet your son was thrilled to death getting that deer. You guys did good!

You gonna cook up that Diamondback? Good eating for sure.

His second buck ever. He was shaking so much while sitting on my lap because he was not quite tall enough to see out the blind, he had me shaking. He took that deer with a Stevens 7mm08 BSA 4-12x40mm scope.

Not going to eat that fucker. Those things may taste good and I'd eat if it was all I had but not worth the effort at the time. They smell awful like musky earth.

Good game management is a must in today's world. It takes patients, and a lot of self discipline but it does pay off. The rewards down the road are wonderful though. Congradulations!

I have taken culls each year, the last two seasons my son has taken the bigger deer. We passed on young 8's, 10's and 12's...Next week I'm heading down to take my Axis buck and some turkeys.

:thumbspbig: Good job! I like the look of that 10 point. You know that cull buck, would have cost me a $75 fine here in Cole County, under our antler restrictions. I personally like the AR's, but they're not perfect.

There are some regions where the 13" spread applies, we are not in one of those regions. The regions that have them also have a smaller population of deer.

El Jefe
11-29-2011, 07:59 PM
AKT, here the idea is to let the young, immature bucks walk, so they'll mature into a better trophy. I'm all for it, but it does make it against the rules to take undesirable deer out of the population, so that's a problem. Of course the "if it's brown it's down" crowd hate it.

O.S.O.K.
11-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Now that's a deer huntin trip! Congrats!! Those Stevens bolts are excellent hard hunting guns.

All's I saw were does and a spike - and a big tom bobcat.

The deer in the area where my land is are well trained - there's heavy hunting all around and the bucks know it's opening day.

But they'll get stupid in the rut and then later, after they're all worn out, they'll feed up heavy and be out in morning/eve during legal hours.

Schuetzenman
11-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Congrats on taking that many deer and the rattler.

btcave
11-29-2011, 10:01 PM
That's fricken cool! Congratulations!

AKTexas
11-29-2011, 10:22 PM
AKT, here the idea is to let the young, immature bucks walk, so they'll mature into a better trophy. I'm all for it, but it does make it against the rules to take undesirable deer out of the population, so that's a problem. Of course the "if it's brown it's down" crowd hate it.

We try to judge the deer by the characteristics we can see. Size of body, color of the scent glands, shape of the eyes, and the shape of the back. My uncle is better at aging and deer and he figured him by his teeth to be an old deer. He was dwarfed by the big buck he was hanging with. There were does twice his size at the feeder.

Edit: We have a lot of first year bucks with barely anything pushing through for tines. A small amount real spikes we plan to cull soon.

El Jefe
11-30-2011, 09:35 AM
We try to judge the deer by the characteristics we can see. Size of body, color of the scent glands, shape of the eyes, and the shape of the back. My uncle is better at aging and deer and he figured him by his teeth to be an old deer. He was dwarfed by the big buck he was hanging with. There were does twice his size at the feeder.

Edit: We have a lot of first year bucks with barely anything pushing through for tines. A small amount real spikes we plan to cull soon.

I agree wholeheartedly, get those inferior deer out of the herd!

And yeah, usually by looking at a buck you can guess his age fairly close, but the teeth don't lie. Usually by year 6 or 7 they are wore down quite a bit.