PDA

View Full Version : American Airlines files for bankruptcy

Gunreference1
11-29-2011, 01:31 PM
American Airlines files for bankruptcy

By Chris Isidore and Blake Ellis @CNNMoney (https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=cnnmoney) November 29, 2011: 11:44 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- American Airlines parent AMR, one of the few major U.S. airlines to avoid bankruptcy, finally succumbed Tuesday and filed for chapter 11.

AMR said that all of its subsidiaries will honor tickets and reservations and operate normal flight schedules during the bankruptcy process.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/29/news/companies/american_airlines_bankruptcy/index.htm?iid=HP_LN#0_undefined,0_

Steve

coppertales
11-29-2011, 02:22 PM
I retired from American Eagle. It doesn't affect me any because Eagle does not have any retirement bennies. Wife still works for them though but her job is safe. She is hoping they will give a decient severance package for long time employees so she can retire. Then it is off to the UP for the summer and east Texas for the winter.....chris3

old Grump
11-29-2011, 03:03 PM
I saw this coming way back when the HSA and TSA circus started.

Ex-wifes boyfriend worked for and stole from United Airlines, (he was a baggage handler), back when it was going through all it's financial woes. Another friend of mine worked as a plane mechanic for America West when it kept having troubles with its numbers. Part of the problem is theirs for management and union shenanigans but I think politics and the phoney baloney security measures making flying so much fun is doing the worst of it.

There is going to have to be a major change in the way they do business and the government has got to keep their noses out of it if we are ever going to get back anything at all like we used to have.

JAMC
11-29-2011, 03:12 PM
It could be worse.

British Airways = An enormous pension fund that occasionally flies a few planes.

Warthogg
11-29-2011, 06:42 PM
It could be worse.

British Airways = An enormous pension fund that occasionally flies a few planes.

:coffee::thumbsup:

Warthogg
11-29-2011, 06:44 PM
There is going to have to be a major change in the way they do business and the government has got to keep their noses out of it.......

Dead crickets don't chirp.

Wart

Warthogg
11-29-2011, 06:55 PM

I MUST say this for British Airways.

I'm in London, have to get back to the states and I'm sick the day of departure. BIGGGG sick. Get to the airport and find my reservation has been screwed and I have a coach and not a business class seat. I'm too sick to argue much so I hand the attendant a credit card and tell her to move me to first class. For the first time she actually looked at me and decided I was not lying about the porked reservation. Sooooo she hands me back the credit card and also hands me a first class boarding pass. Only a Japanese guy and myself were in front for the flight.

An act of kindness that I will remember.

Wart

JAMC
11-30-2011, 10:28 AM
I MUST say this for British Airways.

I'm in London, have to get back to the states and I'm sick the day of departure. BIGGGG sick. Get to the airport and find my reservation has been screwed and I have a coach and not a business class seat. I'm too sick to argue much so I hand the attendant a credit card and tell her to move me to first class. For the first time she actually looked at me and decided I was not lying about the porked reservation. Sooooo she hands me back the credit card and also hands me a first class boarding pass. Only a Japanese guy and myself were in front for the flight.

An act of kindness that I will remember.

Wart

Oh absoultely. My father worked for BA from 1988 until retirement a few years ago in the maintenance hangars. Theirs was a completely different generation of aviation workers. BA is one of the remaining few that still perseveres with that kind of service oriented operation, as opposed to the newer budget commuter airlines that essentially just sell you a seat and the safety instructions.

If they didn't command the loyalty of frequent flyers in the modern age because of it, they would have gone under about a decade ago.

Some further thoughts from me on the UK aviation industry and it's history (http://www.politicsworldwide.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1016)