PDA

View Full Version : Screw build how to?

awp101
08-15-2010, 11:58 AM
First off, do not turn this into a debate of the pros and cons of a screw build vs riveting. :nono:

Go back and read that statement again. Now read it a third time. Are we clear?

I simply want this to be a BiY thread covering how to do a screw build if anyone wants to do it, preferably with pictures, since the old threads are in limbo for the time being and I can't be the only one with a passing interest in one.

So, does anyone have their old info and pics from a previous build or is anyone working on one now?:jump:

awp101
08-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Preferably from start to finish. And that's why I put the warning/stipulation as the first sentence of the thread...:lool:

slamfire51
08-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Preferably from start to finish. And that's why I put the warning/stipulation as the first sentence of the thread...:lool:

Give me time to find my pics and I'll see what I can do.

Moebrown20
08-15-2010, 02:40 PM
I don't have any from the past builds.
Screws are harder than rivets to build.
I'm working on one right now. I'll post in a few minutes.
I put a coat of primer on a few hours ago and it's sitting in the stove.

awp101
08-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Cool. One thing I'm taking into account is that I have a tap and die set already but no rivet tooling.

Moebrown20
08-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Cool. One thing I'm taking into account is that I have a tap and die set already but no rivet tooling.

Yeah, tap & die is a good way to start.
8-32 & 10-32 tappers are needed. A 10-32 bottoming is needed if you're not gonna remove the barrel.

Here's a few photos of the latest.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/moebrown20/P2030013.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/moebrown20/P2030012.jpg

I could finish it today, but I have a few things that UPS needs to drop off next week.

slamfire51
08-15-2010, 04:20 PM
The only problem with not removing the barrel, the old rivets are a bitch to work around.
If you're really good with a drill press, they aren't too bad to remove. You have to drill them dead center with a small bit then go with a bit slightly smaller bit than the original trunnion hole diameter, being careful not to elongate the hole. You're still gonna have to deal with the left over rivet debris.

Tapping can be tricky as well. Breaking a tap happens and really a PITA to remove.
Make sure the tap goes in straight, and turn 1/4 turn, remove, clean the flutes, and go another 1/4 turn. If the tap binds, STOP, and back it out.Continue this until the hole is completely tapped. A bottoming tap is necessary to get threads to the bottom of the hole. Use plenty of tapping oil.

The rear trunnion's old rivets are a challenge to remove. Romy trunnions have an off set half way through the hole. You have to drill half way through on one side, then flip it over and do the other side. A drill press is a MUST.
Drill the old rivets like the front, start off with a small bit, drilling dead center. Then a slightly smaller bit than the trunnion hole.
After drilling, you'll need to use a punch to drive the remaining old rivets out. Tap as front trunnions.

08-15-2010, 04:41 PM
IBTL

slamfire51
08-15-2010, 04:44 PM
IBTL

No need in telling you not to hurry.

Moebrown20
08-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Tapping can be tricky as well. Breaking a tap happens and really a PITA to remove.

Yeah, I did lose two in my trials awhile back.

A drillpress may be needed. The newer kits don't have a barrel, it's already out so tapping is easier.
The rear trunnions are a bit easier, I just drill half way on one side and punch out the rest.

awp101
08-15-2010, 06:01 PM
IBTL
Surely you're not implying that a civil conversation can't be had on this topic, are you?

:nutkick:

slamfire51
08-15-2010, 06:07 PM
IBTL??????

08-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Surely you're not implying that a civil conversation can't be had on this topic, are you? :nutkick:

Of course we can have a civil conversation. Just read the nice things Dan has said about his riveting mentor thus far...lol

But as some claim, screwed together AKs can be reeeeeeally nice ....

I've asked the question before though; given the opportunity to choose a riveted or a screwed AK...well, we all know the answer to that one.

Carry on though....I promise to be nice and quiet from this point on. :)

slamfire51
08-15-2010, 07:49 PM
I've asked the question before though; given the opportunity to choose a riveted or a screwed AK...well, we all know the answer to that one.

Point being, awp doesn't have the tools to rivet, so screwing is his only option. Screw builds do work great, and last.

awp101
08-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Of course we can have a civil conversation. Just read the nice things Dan has said about his riveting mentor thus far...lol

But as some claim, screwed together AKs can be reeeeeeally nice ....

Carry on though....I promise to be nice and quiet from this point on. :)
It's all in good fun...;)

Yes a screwed AK can be nice, it all depends on the builder. And yes given the choice, rivets (and dimples!) would be my first choice.

Right now I don't think I even have all the tools for a screw build (much less a kit or receiver at this point) and I know I'm not the only one in this position so as part of rebuilding the database I figured it was (and still is) worth getting the info.

Moebrown20
08-15-2010, 09:15 PM
It's
Right now I don't think I even have all the tools for a screw build

Not much is needed.
Torch, taps, dremel, clamps, drillpress or drill with a press adapter (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhw/R-100507168/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053), clamps a,d a few extras.

Plus some free time.

texas flash
03-14-2011, 05:10 PM
I have built both ways and all the good info you have received is right on. If you can swing it a tapping machine from Grizzly is the best thing since sliced bread for building anything that requires threads. Its about 75plus dollars but it saves breaking taps and puts a perfectly straight hole.

Moebrown20
03-14-2011, 05:28 PM
I have built both ways and all the good info you have received is right on. If you can swing it a tapping machine from Grizzly is the best thing since sliced bread for building anything that requires threads. Its about 75plus dollars but it saves breaking taps and puts a perfectly straight hole.

Grizzly link.

slamfire51
03-14-2011, 05:37 PM

Welcome to Gunsnet texas flash. We're happy to have you here.,
I also would like to see the Grizzly. I'm curious as to how it works.

robert
03-15-2011, 07:54 PM
send me a 14$ harbor freight bolt cutter and Ill make it a rivetter 4 free for you.

chopfather
03-15-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm gonna follow this since I recently bought a couple underfolders to get started with these guns and I love 'em ! Now I want to build one but I'd like to do it using tools that I already own.

slamfire51
03-15-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm gonna follow this since I recently bought a couple underfolders to get started with these guns and I love 'em ! Now I want to build one but I'd like to do it using tools that I already own.

:welcome: to Gunsnet.

That's what most first time builders do. I started out screw building because at the time I couldn't afford the building tools to rivet build.
I still screw build from time to time, and say what ever method you choose is up to you.
My advice is to invest in a press to remove the barrels, it make the process of building soooo much easier. Plus when you press out the barrel, the old rivets are a snap to remove. Otherwise it can be a PITA, believe me.

Keep us informed on your build progress and good luck.

chopfather
03-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Right now I just have two century guns that I picked up for me and my wife, a yugo uf and a polish uf, and they are great for just getting into ak's but I'm seriously thinking about picking up a parts kit to do a build.

slamfire51
03-16-2011, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the welcome. Right now I just have two century guns that I picked up for me and my wife, a yugo uf and a polish uf, and they are great for just getting into ak's but I'm seriously thinking about picking up a parts kit to do a build.

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I thought you had a couple underfolder kits.
You're off to a good start with those AKs. Have you had a chance to shoot them yet?

chopfather
03-16-2011, 04:03 PM
My wife and I did get them out and put about 150 rounds combined through them and they functioned flawlessly. She told me when I started looking at AK's that she wanted one too so I gladly sprung for two. She is hooked and is actually looking forward to me buying a kit and starting on my first build.:thumbsup: