PDA

View Full Version : NYC Man Makes $55,000 A Year Peddling On Subway

mrkalashnikov
12-02-2011, 06:39 PM
http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/12/02/nyc-man-earns-55-000-a-year-peddling-candy-on-the-subway/
This sounds like one of Barry O's new job creations. I'll bet the income taxes this dude pays is around the zero mark.

mriddick
12-02-2011, 06:45 PM
As long as he's not on some sort of government assistance as well it's hard to be too tough on a guy eking out a living.

LAGC
12-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Well, at least that guy is actually offering a product/service in return for his begging...

I was really surprised to learn how much people who stand on the corners holding card-board signs can rake in... some of those beggars clear $50 a day, easy. (That's about the same as working a full-time job at Federal minimum wage.)

I think I'd rather turn to day labor as a last resort, rather than put up with the boredom and embarrassment of just standing there all day begging for other people's charity, myself.

El Jefe
12-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Well, at least that guy is actually offering a product/service in return for his begging...

I was really surprised to learn how much people who stand on the corners holding card-board signs can rake in... some of those beggars clear $50 a day, easy. (That's about the same as working a full-time job at Federal minimum wage.)

I think I'd rather turn to day labor as a last resort, rather than put up with the boredom and embarrassment of just standing there all day begging for other people's charity, myself.

:dizzy:

Yeah, you want the government to do it for you.

Warthogg
12-02-2011, 07:16 PM

some of those beggars clear $50 a day, easy

$250 - $300....one of these guys bet a TV program (maybe 20-20), they searched him in the morning and taped him all day.....he won. At the end of the day guy went around the corner to his parked Mercedes, popped the trunk, pealed of his begging jacket, put on his going home-to-the-burbs jacket and departed.

Wart

Viking350
12-02-2011, 07:34 PM
$250 - $300....one of these guys bet a TV program (maybe 20-20), they searched him in the morning and taped him all day.....he won. At the end of the day guy went around the corner to his parked Mercedes, popped the trunk, pealed of his begging jacket, put on his going home-to-the-burbs jacket and departed.

Wart

Back in the mid 90's the wife and I managed a mobile home park. One of the guys there panhandled for a living. He would make $100 to $150 a day back then.

mrkalashnikov
12-02-2011, 08:37 PM
As long as he's not on some sort of government assistance as well it's hard to be too tough on a guy eking out a living.

Unfortunately, I've had extensive experience with other Candy Men like him in my fair city.

Loud, obnoxious, overbearing, and often simply flat-out half crazy. Train stations, bus depots, city sidewalks, public parks, you name it. These guys peddle stale candy that they pick up for a few cents on the dollar (or has conveniently fallen off a truck) and endlessly harangue passers-by with their babble. Always the same pitch. "Hey, help a brotha out here dawg. At least I ain't on these streets panhandling or committing crimes, etc, etc,," & so forth.

No, not that exactly. Just often the implied threat of violence (especially towards women & old people) who aren't willing to stop & cough up money for their stale crap & spiel. Sometimes they'll even follow you for a few blocks, all the time giving their pitch in a loud voice that is intended to intimidate. Funny, it's always the same select group of society doing this bs too, at least in all my years of urban experience.:smiley09:

I'm all for the spirit of free enterprise and hustle; but when it's accompanied by the bullying tactics and intimidation that most of these "merchants" employ, I can only say that they get zero from yours truly; and I advise anyone else tired of how our cities have become ghettoized sh#tholes that pander to these mopes, to do the same.

Krupski
12-02-2011, 10:14 PM
http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/12/02/nyc-man-earns-55-000-a-year-peddling-candy-on-the-subway/
This sounds like one of Barry O's new job creations. I'll bet the income taxes this dude pays is around the zero mark.

$55K a year for one guy is barely above poverty level...

mriddick
12-02-2011, 10:16 PM

Maybe in NYC, in the midwest you could live quite well.

Broondog
12-03-2011, 01:15 AM

ummm, i eek by on about 25K. i think i'll start panhandling for a living.

Partisan1983
12-03-2011, 01:52 AM

Certain parts of the midwest.....other parts, not so much

mriddick
12-03-2011, 04:34 AM
Certain parts of the midwest.....other parts, not so much
Truthfully I bet in any state I could get by on $55,000 and do quite well.

Solidus-snake
12-03-2011, 04:45 AM
LOL wow you guys are a spendy lot. Me AND the wife cleared about 48k this year together and we live very happy lives. No "poverty" here In our house.

mrkalashnikov
12-03-2011, 07:37 AM

Sez Daddy Warbucks :rolleyes:

Mark Ducati
12-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Actually when you consider these guys don't pay taxes, he's really making like $83,000 (as if he did pay taxes).

Back in SanDiego, there was a guy at the same freeway exit ramp, same time everyday on my way home from work with a "homless, please help" cardboard sign. I've given this guy a few bucks here and there in the past... Until one day, I got off work late, I'm about 15 cars back on the exit/stop light, I see the guy on corner as usual... but this time he gets up and leaves, walks over to the car pool lot adjacent to the exit and gets in a new Lexus (no joke).

Back in Michigan, we have a 10 cent deposit on cans/bottles... we used to call them the "dumpster divers" or the "can vultures".... you'd be studying in a library and as soon as one of these guys thought your can was empty, they'd ask you for it. They also frequently dove in the dumpsters of the dorms/fraternities/etc. to search for their 10 cent cans. There was an article in the local school paper about the dumpster divers, and one guy was making $40,000 a year (cash) and this was back in 1991.

Krupski
12-04-2011, 05:19 AM

Maybe I should move to the midwest (or south-west even better).

mriddick
12-04-2011, 08:54 AM

No you probably should stay where you are. :)

N/A
12-04-2011, 09:17 AM

Naw, as I recall you are too much of a union man to make it where unions aren't too welcome.