PDA

View Full Version : Newt Wants Your Thumbprint!

LAGC
12-06-2011, 12:33 AM
On Saturday, I alerted you that Newt Gingrich is a supporter of a national biometric thumbprint database for gun purchasers. Here is the direct quote from Newt:

“I think we prefer to go to instant check on an immediate basis and try to accelerate implementing instant checks so that you could literally check by thumbprint… Instant check is a much better system than the Brady process.” — June 27, 1997

This weekend, your National Association for Gun Rights, working in conjunction with our Iowa state-level affiliate, Iowa Gun Owners, began using phone calls designed to alert tens of thousands of gun rights activists across Iowa about Newt Gingrich’s decades-long support of gun control . . .

. . . and his refusal to return his National Association for Gun Rights Presidential Survey.

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/he-wants-your-thumbprint/

If Newt becomes president, expect the end of all paperless private-party sales, as everyone is forced to use an FFL and provide their thumbprint-- de facto registration.

Mother Jones magazine had this to say today:

Now that's he's the front-runner in the race for the GOP presidential nomination, Newt Gingrich's 33-year-record is officially open for scrutiny. There are plenty of reasons why conservatives might reject the former Speaker of the House, but here's another one: guns. Georgia Gun Owners, a grassroots gun rights group from his home state, is now blasting Gingrich for "his more than two-decade history of supporting gun control." The group has asked its 6,000 members to call Gingrich's new Iowa headquarters and make their complaints known.

Per the release the group blasted out this morning:

While Newt used the institutional gun lobby as a mouthpiece to convince millions of gun owners nationwide that "as long as he is Speaker, no gun-control legislation is going to move in committee or on the House floor," he was working behind the scenes to pass gun control.

In 1996, Newt Gingrich turned his back on gun owners and voted for the anti-gun Brady Campaign's Lautenberg Gun Ban, which strips the Second Amendment rights of citizens involved in misdemeanor domestic violence charges or temporary protection orders -- in some cases for actions as minor as spanking a child.

Gingrich also stood shoulder to shoulder with Nancy Pelosi to pass the "Criminal Safezones Act" which prevents armed citizens from defending themselves in certain arbitrary locations. Virtually all Americans know that Criminal Safezones don't protect law-abiding citizens, but actually protect the criminals who ignore them.

One of the problems with having a 33-year political career is that you accumulate a really long record of positions. It doesn't help Gingrich that he made his biggest impact in the '90s, when gun control and crime were much higher-profile issues than they are today. And as Elizabeth Drew recounts in her book Showdown, Gingrich viewed the gun lobby as a group that must be appeased, but it wasn't exactly his core constituency as Speaker.

An important caveat, though: If Gingrich is unappealing on guns, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney is hardly a palatable alternative. A similar group in New Hampshire, the New Hampshire Firearms Coalition, has been handing out anti-Romney literature in the Granite State, touting (among other things) his support for a ban on assault weapons. If you're a hard-core Second Amendment rights activist, you likely cast your lot with Ron Paul a long time ago.

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/12/gun-owners-take-on-newt-gingrich

If either Romney or Gingrich get the nomination, we are screwed.

The only consistently pro-2A candidates in the race are Ron Paul and Michele Bachmann. The prior is polling second-place in Iowa right behind Newt, and the latter is barely even on the map.

You do the math.

L1A1Rocker
12-06-2011, 01:39 AM
When was the last time you bought a gun? Oh wait. . . well, the question still stands.

Oswald Bastable
12-06-2011, 02:06 AM
When was the last time you bought a gun? Oh wait. . . well, the question still stands.

Not to mention all his prints are on file...not just the thumb...

LAGC
12-06-2011, 03:52 AM
Not to mention all his prints are on file...not just the thumb...

Somehow I doubt, some dark day in the future, when the gun-grabbers are going door-to-door, that they are going to be too concerned about people like me.

"Hey, the local cops already confiscated all my weapons back in 2003. Sorry, don't own any anymore."

It will be all those who ever bought from an FFL that will have some explaining to do, if they can't account for all the guns they filled out paper-work on.

And it won't be hard to track them down if Newt has his way.

l921428x
12-06-2011, 04:00 AM
So what are or do you suggest?

LAGC
12-06-2011, 04:06 AM
So what are or do you suggest?

Nominate a candidate who will weaken the BATFE, not give them more power.

mriddick
12-06-2011, 06:34 AM
McCain was for ending private transfers and that stopped few from voting for him.

coppertales
12-06-2011, 11:30 AM
there has to be at least 50 copies of my fingerprints in government files.......You can't lie with a fingerprint of who you are.....chris3

Krupski
12-06-2011, 07:05 PM
http://www.nationalgunrights.org/he-wants-your-thumbprint/

If Newt becomes president, expect the end of all paperless private-party sales, as everyone is forced to use an FFL and provide their thumbprint-- de facto registration.

I'll give Newt a bootprint... right on his ass.

Krupski
12-06-2011, 07:05 PM
there has to be at least 50 copies of my fingerprints in government files.......You can't lie with a fingerprint of who you are.....chris3

My prints are on file (New York CHL) but I'll be damned if I have to use a thumbprint everywhere!

mriddick
12-06-2011, 07:09 PM
This is the whole problem with conservatives playing chase the flavor of the week. Let them say something that if any liberal would say and we'd be up in arms over it. Let the conservative of the week say it though and there's talk of it's not that big a deal...

Screw the fingerprinting idea to buy a firearm.

weevil
12-06-2011, 07:21 PM
If either Romney or Gingrich get the nomination, we are screwed.

The only consistently pro-2A candidates in the race are Ron Paul and Michele Bachmann. The prior is polling second-place in Iowa right behind Newt, and the latter is barely even on the map.

You do the math.

WE???

Sorry but "WE" doesn't include left wing commie felons who aren't allowed to own guns anyway.

Either one is gonna be better than four more years of Obama and Holder without any worries about re-election to slow them down.

Oh but "WE" sholud listen to an Obama supporter and take his advice on who to run.

I don't think so.

You do the math.

LAGC
12-06-2011, 07:28 PM
WE???

Sorry but "WE" doesn't include left wing commie felons who aren't allowed to own guns anyway.

Either one is gonna be better than four more years of Obama and Holder without any worries about re-election to slow them down.

Oh but "WE" sholud listen to an Obama supporter and take his advice on who to run.

I don't think so.

You do the math.

Well, you know what they say... only Nixon could go to China, only Reagan/Bush Sr. could raise taxes, etc.

Indeed, the fastest path we may see to serious gun control passing in this country is if it happens on a Republican's watch.

But by all means, if Newt or Romney's wishy-washy positions on gun control don't bother you, pull that lever away. At least you'll have an 'R' in office.

weevil
12-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Well, you know what they say... only Nixon could go to China, only Reagan/Bush Sr. could raise taxes, etc.

Indeed, the fastest path we may see to serious gun control passing in this country is if it happens on a Republican's watch.

But by all means, if Newt or Romney's wishy-washy positions on gun control don't bother you, pull that lever away. At least you'll have an 'R' in office.

Oh they bother me plenty but not nearly as much as the idea of four more years of Obama.

But hey I can't blame you for trying to spread hate and discontent in the enemy camp.

Every voter here you can keep away from the polls is the same as another vote for your boy Obama.

LAGC
12-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Oh they bother me plenty but not nearly as much as the idea of four more years of Obama.

But hey I can't blame you for trying to spread hate and discontent in the enemy camp.

Every voter here you can keep away from the polls is the same as another vote for your boy Obama.

Believe it or not, I'm not a big Obama fan. As I said in another thread, the only way I'd consider voting for Obama is if a religious fruit-cake like Rick Perry or Michele Bachmann won the nomination, but seeing as how even most Republicans don't much care for them any more, I don't see that as happening.

If Newt or Romney get the nomination, I'll be voting third-party in the general election, either Green Party or Libertarian Party depending on the particular candidates.

Only way I will vote Republican is if Ron Paul gets the nod, as will 15% of Democrats. I will be crossing over and joining my brother in caucusing for Ron Paul in the primary, even if I have to register as a Republican to do so. Since it doesn't appear Obama has any credible Democratic primary challengers at this point, there's no point wasting my vote in the Democratic caucus...

weevil
12-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Believe it or not, I'm not a big Obama fan. As I said in another thread, the only way I'd consider voting for Obama is if a religious fruit-cake like Rick Perry or Michele Bachmann won the nomination, but seeing as how even most Republicans don't much care for them any more, I don't see that as happening.

If Newt or Romney get the nomination, I'll be voting third-party in the general election, either Green Party or Libertarian Party depending on the particular candidates.

Only way I will vote Republican is if Ron Paul gets the nod, as will 15% of Democrats. I will be crossing over and joining my brother in caucusing for Ron Paul in the primary, even if I have to register as a Republican to do so. Since it doesn't appear Obama has any credible Democratic primary challengers at this point, there's no point wasting my vote in the Democratic caucus...

Yeah right.

I notice you didn't forget to throw in the old 3rd party plug, more votes for your boy Obama.

Why of course you're an independent minded sort of guy who is only here to help us decide.

Helping that Obama fellow win doesn't even enter into your mind.

*cough*BULLSHIT*cough*

:biggrina:

LAGC
12-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Yeah right.

I notice you didn't forget to throw in the old 3rd party plug, more votes for your boy Obama.

Oh please. How is it votes for Obama when the Republican "alternative" is just as bad? Most people who vote third party would have just stayed home instead. That's why I always laugh when Democrats blame Ralph Nader for causing Gore to lose in 2000. Gore lost his own fucking home state of Tennessee, thanks to his anti-handgun stance. If he had won Tennessee, Florida would have never mattered. And most of the people who did vote for Ralph wouldn't have voted at all if Gore and Bush were the only two choices. Sometimes "lesser of two evils" doesn't cut it.

AKTexas
12-06-2011, 09:25 PM
I'll give Newt a bootprint... right on his ass.

Doubtful, first you will show him your boot them tell him to just leave without doing anything.

mriddick
12-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Doubtful, first you will show him your boot them tell him to just leave without doing anything.

Threats do sound sort of hollow after the home invader story don't they...

AKTexas
12-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Threats do sound sort of hollow after the home invader story don't they...

So very true...Always makes me smile and laugh when I read any internet threat really. Easy to talk big while safe at home behind a keyboard.

Oswald Bastable
12-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Somehow I doubt, some dark day in the future, when the gun-grabbers are going door-to-door, that they are going to be too concerned about people like me.

Hmmm...convicted of a felony and lost your 2A rights, then reoffended (another felony) by owning guns in violation of that...yeah, they'd never visit folks like you...