PDA

View Full Version : Have a question about my AK?

94ford
12-06-2011, 11:28 AM
I have a question about my Romanian WASR 10/63 AK-47?Whats the story behind it? I paid around $460.00 for it and it came with a 5 round single mag. and a 10 round single mag. with a leather type sling.I found it at a local gun store who only sells AR-15's besides shot guns,rifle's and hand gun's.The salesperson said he hasn't seen it before and it was against their store policy to have AK's in their store period.Here's a picture of it....................................

imanaknut
12-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

The WASR-10 in it's zillion permutations enters the United States having the ability to only accept single stack mags, making ATF happy that it satisfies the sporting purpose clause of the new second amendment.

I take it yours are the single stack? because there are double stack 5 and 10 round AK mags out there.

After importation, usually the importer or one of their distributors opens up the mag well to accepts standard AK mags. They also then have to replace some of the foreign parts on the rifle with USA made parts so that there are no more than 10 imported parts, which conforms to the old 922(r) or Title 27 CFR 478.39. By having 10 or less imported parts, it is now an angelic rifle incapable of hurting anyone. If they opened the mag well without the parts swap, ATF and a past president determined that the rifle would suddenly become a "semi-automatic assault rifle" and immediately turn it's owner into a serial baby killer.

Yes a lot of sarcasm in our loss of rights and the stupidity of some of our unconstitutional laws, but your answer is in there.

I wish you would have come here before buying that rifle, because most honest dealers are selling the WASRs that have already been modified for what you paid for your unmodified rifle. Still it is a great shooter, and in the condition you have, should still have the Romanian trigger parts which are much better than some of the parts that Century used to make it compliant. Also your gas piston should still be loose on the carrier. One of the parts Century usually replaces is that piston, but instead of re-installing the angelic American made one slightly loose, they weld it in place which could lead to firing issues if not in straight.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions. If not feel free to ask more.

O.S.O.K.
12-06-2011, 02:32 PM
:welcome: to the board!

What state do you live in? If you are in a state that allows it, you can easily open your mag well to accept standard high capacity magazines. As imanAKnut says, you'd need to replace some parts to be compliant with 922r - which allows for no more than 10 imported parts. That WASR will accept standard configuration AK furniture too.

If you are interested in this, just ask away and we can help you out.

Regardless, it is a nice AK and will be fun to shoot as-is!

94ford
12-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Hello thank you for your help,I've been on many websites,and on Youtube trying to find info.Yeah the gas piston is a bit loose but not too lose,since the purchase i put at least 45 round's through it and had no problems,other than the front sight's which has to be moved a lil bit to the left.After i bought it i did a bit of research and i do think i paid a bit too much for it.But around here in south west Michigan people are not friendly about AK's as my family are and being able to say i own one is more than anything.My future plans for it is to have the magazine well opened so i can get a 30 or 40 round magazine for it and a different stock and pistol grip.But again thank you for your expertise on the AK it helped alot..................

94ford
12-06-2011, 02:50 PM
i live in Michigan i don't know what the rules are for here??

94ford
12-06-2011, 03:04 PM
will different stocks fit this rifle???

imanaknut
12-06-2011, 04:08 PM
After thinking about it, not many WASR-10s in their many configurations were sold with the mag well unaltered, so really in the future you might have the last laugh with your's being a true collector's item.

As for stock sets, any set for a European stamped (AKM style) receiver will work.

The only rules Michigan has that can trip you up is they have a minimum length law which even goes against the ATF unconstitutional minimum length law. In Michigan the total length must be over 30 inches if I am mistaken. If you have a folding stock, it is measured with the stock closed, in opposition to ATF which measures with stock open.

If the folded stock length in Michigan is under 30 inches the rifle becomes a pistol with required paperwork.

Anyway that is how I remember my neighbor to the north.

Oh, the gas piston is supposed to be slightly loose. Proper installation is to thread it into the bolt carrier until it snugs, then back it out 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, then pin it in place. As you will find, all true Kalashnikov variants have some really sloppy tolerances, which is what gives the rifle that legendary reliability.

94ford
12-06-2011, 06:54 PM
k thank you,i tore my AK apart to check the piston again and it's slightly loose but not too bad once i put the fully loaded mag into it there's no play so it's all good.I've been hinting around to getting an romanian stock for it anyway.But as always thank you for the info.....

insider
12-12-2011, 06:41 AM
Against store policy to have AK's? Fuckem! I would never shop there again.

94ford
12-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Yeah i thought it was weird as well,but i am happy i bought it i took the AK and my chinese SKS to the local gun range last weekend,and i got to admit i love the sound the AK and the SKS makes..........

imanaknut
12-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Yep, the AK does have a very distinctive sound!

94ford
12-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Well i finally have a stock and pistol grip for my AK,my cousin just bought an Romanian AK and is making it look like an tactical AR-15 so he gave me the wooden stock and looks to be a carbin pistol grip.And i found a local gunsmith who could widen the magazine well also,and he's gonna take a look at the gas piston and bolt assembly to make any necessary repairs and to install the buttstock and pistol grip for around $250.00.Again just wanted to say thank you to you all who have helped me with my first AK..............

O.S.O.K.
12-20-2011, 12:14 PM
$250? Ouch. That is all stuff that I would just do myself - but I'm confident in my dremel wielding abilities. What repairs would be needed for the bolt and piston? The stock removal and install is just turning screws - maybe drill a new hole... nothing big.

94ford
12-20-2011, 12:26 PM
I told the guy i would do it myself but i was nervous screwing somethin up.the gas piston is a bit loose so he said he'll look at it and if he had to he'll replaced it with a new piston.but if the repairs didn't cost much he'll reimburse me.So i hope it don't cost $250.00

El Laton Caliente
12-20-2011, 02:21 PM
The gas piston is SUPOSED to be loose! It causes problems if installed tight!

The stocks are easy also. A file or sandpaper and a screw driver is all the you normally need.

The mag well can be done with a dremel, but go slow and fit the mag often.

94ford
12-25-2011, 02:05 AM
I was told that there's a 75 round drum that can fit my Ak's single stack magazine well,is that true???If not that's the last time i listen to a relative.

Lord Ak-47
12-29-2011, 11:19 PM
No they make 75 round drums for the regular sized magwells, try to find a Romanian one. They cost about 100 dollars but the cheaper Korean ones are hit and miss.

Dont pay anyone 250 dollars to open up the magwell. Its youtube vids on that stuff. You could do it with a hand file if you really had to have it done. Putting on the furniture is simple, an 8 year old could it.
Do more research on net before you waste money on a rifle you already spent 100 dollars to much on.
For the money you will potentially have invested you could have bought a much more collectable and reputable version of the AK family.

94ford
01-05-2012, 02:48 PM
well i got my Ak back yesterday and all he charged me was $51.00 for everything,this guy did an excellent job.And he offered to trade his wasr 10/63 for my chinese sks,but i'm gonna have to think about that one.

imanaknut
01-05-2012, 03:25 PM
$51 to open the mag well is money well spent. Nice to hear the person who did it did a good job!

Now you can go out and get one of those 75 round rock and roll devices and have a really good time!!!!!

94ford
01-05-2012, 04:31 PM
yeah i'm already doin my homework on the 75 round drums