PDA

View Full Version : Any Ruger Pistol Fans?

Richard Simmons
12-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Picked up a copy of, Ruger and his Guns, A History of The Man, the Company and Their Firearms by R.:. Wilson at a little store called Ollies for $12.99. Very nice, 368 page hard cover book by the way and full of great reading and photos of not only Ruger firearms but the personal guns of Bill Sr, from makers all over the world.

Anyway, as I got to the section on the P-Series pistols I realized that of all the semi-autos I own, Colt, CZ, S&W, Beretta, Glock, etc., I've never owned a P-Series Ruger. Hell, I've never even fired one. A friend back in SoCal had one of the P-85's not long after they first came out but it was stolen before I had a chance to check it out. As I recall he seemed to like it fine.

I've seen various P85, 89, etc., in the used gun section at my various gun shops and while I seem to recall they were well priced I just never paid them any mind as far as handling one let alone considering a purchase.

As I was reading the book just now I got to thinking that maybe I was missing out on a decent pistol and figured I'd check and see what you all had to say about them?

mriddick
12-06-2011, 07:23 PM
On the P series I've shot the trigger pulls always reminded me of squeezing a sponge, not good IMO. I like their blackhawks but I find the design lacking for what I want, I love their 22 autos and I have a security six given to me after my fathers death I've willed to my son that would probably the last firearm I'd ever give up.

FunkyPertwee
12-06-2011, 07:25 PM
My buddy got a P-95.

To me, it seems highly reliable and durable, however the low price comes at the cost of bulkiness, lack of precision, and general "niceness".

I say its a budget utility peice, not really something for collectors unless you just have to have a Ruger auto. I'd rather have a Ruger wheelgun myself....

imanaknut
12-06-2011, 08:38 PM
I bought a P-95 a long time ago after reading that a magazine did a 20,000 round test on one and found no measurable wear on it after the test. They then did another several hundred round torture test of freezing then shooting, getting it stinking hot then shooting, and a few other things that convinced me that metal on plastic would work.

I believe that the P-95 is the only true plastic frame pistol that does not have a metal insert for the slide to run on. The slide runs directly on the plastic. An amazing engineering feat.

About mine, it is one of two pistols that I keep in reach for upstairs home defense. Mine has proven to be just as reliable as that test piece, and as accurate as I would need. I am very happy with it.

vit
12-06-2011, 08:41 PM
I used to own a P-89 and a P-94. Not the most refined things, but about as reliable as sun coming up in the morning. Maybe I should have kept them...

AK-J
12-06-2011, 09:11 PM
I've got a P89. I picked it up just because I felt it was a gun I needed in my collection.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/avtomatj/RugerP89.jpg

It is very reliable and accurate. The single action trigger is okay, but the double action trigger is terrible. It is also bulky and ugly (IMO). Lacks refinement.

However, that said... After handling and shooting my P89, several friends liked it enough to buy one for themselves.

I'd say get one to fill out your collection as it is a good pistol at a good price, it just isn't a Beretta, Sig, or Jericho.

AKTexas
12-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Over the years I have owned a few Rugers. I'm a big fan of Ruger handguns and so is my uncle. Between the two of us we have or had at one time 10-20 Ruger handguns.

I'm a big fan of the single actions especially the Super Blackhawks. We have .380 to .45 LC and nearly all calibers offered. The coolest in the collection in my opinion are the .40 Vaquero and .30 Carbine Blackhawk. The convertible .45 ACP/.45 LC is up there in the top 10 Ruger handguns.

The P90 is a great accurate pistol for the price. Nothing better than .45 ACP.

The P95 I owned was crap, reliable but poorly made.

Politics aside I enjoy most Ruger firearms.

American Rage
12-07-2011, 07:31 AM
The most underrated firearm in the market. And, it's been claimed, to be the only pistol that can go toe to toe with Glock when it comes to reliability and durability.

However, the p series was considered to be too bulky. However, the new SR line is one of the most ergodynamically comfortable pistols on the market. If as reliable and durable as the P series, the SR line is sure to go far.

TakeFive
12-07-2011, 10:31 AM
I own P85, P89, P90 and P944 and all are great guns. The P90 especially is the softest shooting .45ACP I have fired. Even with all the torture tests, I just don't like plastic pistols, so haven't fired the P95 or P345 or LCP or SR9 or SR40.

jet3534
06-16-2013, 08:59 PM
For me the sights on the P-89 suck. I could never hit anything with my P-89 until I installed Crimson Trace laser sights. Now it is the one gun I don't put in my safe other than the Glock 26 I generally carry. I have fired probably about 2000 rounds in my P-89 including Wolf and WInchester White box (which IMHO is the poorest quality ammo on the market) without a single failure to fire/feed. In general, I have found Ruger firearms to very reliable and an excellent value.

skorpion
06-17-2013, 07:19 AM
As others have said: Ugly and bulky, but very affordable and reliable as the rising sun. The P89 I owned over the years impressed me so much that I couldn't pass up its twin when I found it used at the LGS. Never a jam with either pistol, and the 17-round MecGar mags I got for them work great. These two pistols together used cost less than the price of one new Glock.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9168/symb.jpg

weevil
06-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Had a pair of P90s . My favorite was this decocker model.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n200/srebough/p90amerABN.jpg (http://s112.photobucket.com/user/srebough/media/p90amerABN.jpg.html)

It was my range gun for years excellent accuracy and a very soft shooter. The Ruger Ps have a relatively high bore-axis which gives them more of rolling recoil like a revolver. Slower recovery times between shots but much more pleasant than the pounding you get from a lower bore-axis. There were days I ran a couple hundred rounds of hot reloads through it and would have shot more if i'd had it. A Ruger P won't beat you up at the range.

The standard safety was a decent gun no problems but the accuracy was disappointing especially compared to the DC.

Very good solid guns that were both stone-cold reliable and never gave me a problem of any sort.

Rather pedestrian though, not really pretty, refined or well finished, ergos were so-so at best and the triggers felt like they were made of gravel.

If you want a decent gun that goes bang everytime they're just the ticket, but you aren't gonna get a lot of oohs and aahs when you show it off or let somebody shoot it.

weevil
10-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Ruger has dropped the P95 from it's website. The P95 was the last of the P-series to be offered by Ruger.

It would seem that the era of the Ruger P's has come to an end.

imanaknut
10-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Ruger has dropped the P95 from it's website. The P95 was the last of the P-series to be offered by Ruger.

It would seem that the era of the Ruger P's has come to an end.

Checked with Ruger and you are correct, all P models are now listed as out of production. Sad when you think how long some other manufacturers have kept their lines running, but I wonder if it is because of slow sales that they gave up, or other reasons that they won't tell us.

weevil
10-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Yeah definitely a sad moment in the gun community.

One less choice for us and the Ruger P's were a tough reliable choice you could count on to go bang everytime.

But I must say I haven't bought a new one in over 15 years and a NIB P-95 wasn't on the top of my must have list.

Schuetzenman
10-04-2013, 05:51 AM
I guess they stopped making them as they were big and clunky and sales slumped.

Partisan1983
10-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Picked up a copy of, Ruger and his Guns, A History of The Man, the Company and Their Firearms by R.:. Wilson at a little store called Ollies for $12.99. Very nice, 368 page hard cover book by the way and full of great reading and photos of not only Ruger firearms but the personal guns of Bill Sr, from makers all over the world.

Was anything mentioned in the book about his support for Rhodesia, and just how... so many AC556's (mis-labeled as Mini-14's) ended up over there?

Nautilus
10-04-2013, 04:50 PM
My dad is a Ruger pistol fan. All of his hand guns were Rugers until I bought him an XD45. My first 9mm was a P-95. I was young, semi-broke and wanted a double stack 9mm for a night stand gun. After doing lots of shopping around my wallet over ruled the glock, sig...etc and I went home with a new p-95 for I think $329. Being cheap... It was fed a constant diet of wolf 9mm, blazer...etc and it always worked. I cleaned it when it was too dirty to touch... And it always worked. At 15-20 yards it shot low but it was close enough. As my income grew my options did too and it was traded in on a Glock 17.

Fast forward... Last year I bought a vacation home down south. I wanted a couple guns to leave in the safe down there that were good quality and reliable but inexpensive so I wouldn't be upset if they were stolen as my house sits empty 90% of the time. Out of my safe up here I grabbed a mossberg 500, a side folding AK and... I just couldn't find a handgun in the safe I was willing to bring down. Perfect excuse for a trip to the gun shop. There in the new case was a P-95 for I think $329... Apparently inflation doesn't apply to the p-series. It went home with me. I dug through my misc can of random ammo and came up with 500 rounds of the most random selection if 1/2 boxes, loose rounds I had and headed to the range. It swallowed and spot out all 500 without issue. It shot just like my first one only this one didn't shoot low. I gave it a quick cleaning and it now lives in the safe in SC next to the AK and the 500.

So... I'm a fan. They are a little crude, a little bulky. My dad's late 80's P-85 could easily be mistaken for a framing hammer rather than a pistol. But if you are looking for a reliable quality handgun on a budget... A P-series is hard to beat. I'm actually currently bidding on a Stainless P-85 MK-II. No idea why... Just think I need one in the safe. Sitting between the Glocks, Sigs, 1911's, HKs... It will kind of be like the red neck in the Wall Street bar. Lol

I take no responsibility for my Spelling, sentence structure, grammar..etc when I'm posting from my iPhone. Lol

1 Patriot-of-many
10-07-2013, 12:27 AM
I have a P95DC. Good reliable gun. Bulky, not super accurate at least in my hands but good enough for $300 new Also have a Ruger revolver, GP100 in .357, THAT gun is dead on.

skorpion
10-07-2013, 12:11 PM
The Ruger P-guns: The 80s are calling, they want their handguns back

http://www.guns.com/2013/07/10/the-ruger-p-guns-the-80s-are-calling-they-want-their-handgun-back/

Picture if you will the Eighties: The Gipper was president, Stretch Armstrong was king of the schoolyard, and Atari was cutting edge. It was also the age of the Wonder Nines: high capacity nine-millimeter pistols for everyone and their brother. And like Yakov Smirnoff and shoulder pads, Bill Ruger’s P85 is a forgotten favorite of this not soon forgotten era.