PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a camcorder.

Focused Gunfire
12-07-2011, 08:23 PM
I have been putting this off for too long. I don’t want a lot for Christmas, so maybe this is the year. You guys have any recommendations? Warnings?

vit
12-07-2011, 10:41 PM
What's a "camcorder'?

Focused Gunfire
12-07-2011, 11:11 PM
You are joking right? It is a hand held video recorder.

cevulirn
12-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Big question is... what do you want to do with it?

tank_monkey
12-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Now is the WORST TIME to buy a camcorder. Retailers ALWAYS artificially uphold the price just before Christmas. You can save 30-40% on ALL brands of camcorders just by waiting until after the holidays. I've learned this the hard way. But I had no choice. I needed to video an elderly relative's birthday celebration (her last :( ) on December 28th, a few years ago. The price of the camcorder literally dropped to HALF after Jan 1st.

Focused Gunfire
12-08-2011, 02:07 AM
I’m so sorry for your loss, and thankful you could capture her birthday. Anyway, if they are just going to lower the price after Christmas, then I should wait. In the meantime, any other suggestions? I want to use it to document family get-togethers, and such.

videodon
12-08-2011, 11:49 AM
The question about "what" you want to do with it is valid one.
If just for posting clips to the web, quick stuff, I'd recommend a Flip Mino.
The software's built into the camera to edit and post to the web, burn DVDs, archive, etc.
Best of all they're under $100.
http://www.theflip.com/en-us/products/Mino.aspx
:)

gpwasr10
12-08-2011, 11:52 AM
I've got an older Sony I could sell probably sell you pretty cheap. It's a good cam, great modes, but uses those older small tapes.

vit
12-08-2011, 12:20 PM
You are joking right? It is a hand held video recorder.

Yes, but the word means different things to different people. Starting with the type that took VHS tape and ending with the modern HD recorders. We bought a miniDV recorder when our son was born, this was shortly before the digital cameras went mainstream. Used it a few times, that's about it.