PDA

View Full Version : question about my SKS

94ford
12-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Hello again a couple of months ago i traded a 1943 91/30 Mosin Nagant for a S.K.S.Well after a long time doing research found out that it is a Chinese S.K.S.The only problem i'm having is to figure the date it was made.The serial number is:2389xxx and the serial number is before the triangle symbol with a "26" or "56" inside the triangle.And another question is a couple of days later i took it to a gunsmith to have it looked over and he said it might of been involved in the Vietnam conflict cause part of the bayonet is chipped and the stock has alot of dings and dent's.Any info you guys have would be very helpful.......happy holidays

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=998&d=1323448003

Richard Simmons
12-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Sorry, can't help you with date of manufacture but I don't see too many with Chinese with the blade bayonet so it might be an early version. As far as Vietnam use I wouldn't put much store in wear as lending authenticity to that idea. Anyone can dent and ding a firearm. Still it's an interesting one, at least to my eye and very well could have seen action in southeast Asia. I'm sure folks with more knowledge than I will be along shortly and can help you out.

94ford
12-09-2011, 12:27 PM
cool, thank you for your help

Alexei
12-09-2011, 12:41 PM
I think you made a pretty good trade. Sure, the SKS "could have" been used in 'Nam, of course it also could have been used to guard a rice warehouse.

Krupski
12-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Hello again a couple of months ago i traded a 1943 91/30 Mosin Nagant for a S.K.S.Well after a long time doing research found out that it is a Chinese S.K.S.The only problem i'm having is to figure the date it was made.The serial number is:2xxxxxx and the serial number is before the triangle symbol with a "26" or "56" inside the triangle.And another question is a couple of days later i took it to a gunsmith to have it looked over and he said it might of been involved in the Vietnam conflict cause part of the bayonet is chipped and the stock has alot of dings and dent's.Any info you guys have would be very helpful.......happy holidays

I was told that the serial number has 7 digits, the first one being a year code. The sequence starts in 1956 with no digit (i.e. only 6 digits).

For example, a serial like this:

(blank)xxxxxx would be a 1956 model.
1xxxxxx would be 1957
2xxxxxx would be 1958
...etc....

From the serial number you posted, your rifle should be mfg'd in 1958.

BTW, I edited your post to hide part of your serial... not a good idea to post actual serial numbers... only the relevant parts.

-- Roger

(edit to add): See this link: http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-24.htm

Scroll down about 1/4 of the way to "China".

(edit again): Here's a closeup of the S/N of my 1956 Chinese SKS:

http://three-dog.homelinux.com/other/images/sks_marking.jpg

Note the 6 digit serial number (the right 2 digits are pixeled out).

(add more): Interesting - your SKS has a blade bayonet and mine has a triangular "spike"....

94ford
12-09-2011, 01:26 PM
oh crap i did not know that but thanks

Krupski
12-09-2011, 01:46 PM
oh crap i did not know that but thanks

Didn't know about what? If you mean the serial number thing... don't worry about it. It's not a "policy" here... it's just better off in general not to tell the world the serial numbers of your firearms.

94ford
12-09-2011, 02:13 PM
yeah the serial number thing but again thanks for the info

imanaknut
12-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Welcome to our group !!! :welcome:

I added your photo to your post. Makes it so much easier for lazy people like me.

That is a very nice and interesting SKS you have!!!

O.S.O.K.
12-09-2011, 04:50 PM
The bayo may be a replacement. A lot of SKS's were de-bayo'd. This could have been one of them that the owner wanted to "restore" but chose the wrong kind...

BTW, :welcome: to the board!!

94ford
12-09-2011, 05:43 PM
The gun store i got the sks from looked at the whole gun including the bayonet and said everything was original.The funny thing is,The sks came from the same place as the Ak 47 i bought recently...

Richard Simmons
12-09-2011, 05:45 PM
The bayo may be a replacement. A lot of SKS's were de-bayo'd. This could have been one of them that the owner wanted to "restore" but chose the wrong kind...

BTW, :welcome: to the board!!

Thought about that too but the stock is cut for a blade, not a spike. Or at least that's how it looks to me.

94ford
12-09-2011, 06:09 PM
yeah the slit on the bottom of the sks is way to narrow for a spike,the blade fit's perfectly... so i take it the blade bayonet is a rare one for the chinese sks????

binky59
12-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Hey, welcome to the group.....ah SKS yea well I picked up a Norinco SKS a few months back and
spent alot of time on the web trying to track down the numbers. The numbers for the Chinese
rifles are not sequential and are all over the map. You first want to check the chinese letters,
then the numbers in the box, and finally the serial number. There is a site on the web that has a list
of numbers, and symbols for SKS rifles, If I can find it again, I will re-post it here

l921428x
12-14-2011, 04:21 AM
Any luck with that sks site

94ford
12-19-2011, 09:00 AM
yeah everybody is very helpful,I'm just curious how much is my sks is worth????

94ford
01-05-2012, 02:53 PM
I bought this sks cleaning kit and tube that fits in the trap door for my rifle,well when i inserted it into the back of the buttstock,it went in but wouldn't come out.So i took off the butt plate and took out the tube,found out the spring was compressed with dirt and also found a dried piece of fern wedged onto the hole,so i put the piece of fern back into the tube hole and used the kit for my AK.

videodon
01-05-2012, 04:23 PM
94ford, welcome and congrats on your SKS.
They are a favorite of mine. I have a few.
The value of yours can vary greatly depending
on several factors but I feel it's in the range of $275-$325.
I hope this is helpful.

94ford
01-05-2012, 04:32 PM
cool thanks for the price info...

1madzuk
05-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Several years ago when I was buying firearms here in ca. The frist to come are way where wood stocked spike bayonets all with tons of cosmolene. Than the reddish fibergalss stocked blade and spikes where hitting the market. From what I was told the fiberglassed ones where reconditioned and where used in the conflict. Just what I was told.