PDA

View Full Version : My Norinco Mak 90

Fishman6007
12-10-2011, 12:34 AM
I've had this for about 5 years now and thought I would see if there are forums on these and low and behold I found Guns Network. It is a Norinco Mak 90 Sporter with serial number starting with 93. Sporter is etched on right after it says Mak 90.The modifications so far are the ATI Fiberforce Dragunov Stock, G2 trigger set, and a plastic clip made in USA (cant remember what brand) I am soon to add a USA made gas rod and a sling. How many compliance parts does the ATI stock give me? What other mods do you recommend? I'm having trouble figuring out how to upload the picture. Maybe I can email it to a moderator to put it on for me?

thanks

imanaknut
12-10-2011, 01:51 AM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

The silly rule states that you can not have more than 10 imported parts on a rifle that you change from factory imported configuration.

The stock counts as one part, the handguards (both) count as only one part, the G2 Trigger set is three parts. If that is what you have, you are already in compliance and I would not mess with changing the gas piston. If the muzzle isn't threaded, a stamped AKM (redundant) has 15 countable parts. With the stock you have being one piece with the pistol grip, you have only 14 countable parts, so you are ok to use any magazine you want.

Not sure what that "plastic clip" is. AKs use magazines. Garands use "clips". ;)

In fact, in the configuration you have, if you wanted a wood stock set on your rifle, I would recommend Ironwood Designs which would keep your parts count angelic and it would look closer to what Mr. K. originally had in mind for his homeland defense weapon.

imanaknut
12-10-2011, 02:05 AM
About photos, click on the gallery button at the top of the page, and when it comes up, on the right is a button to upload the photos. Our host is very sensitive to picture size, so if it doesn't upload you might have to sign up with one of the many free photo hosts on the web.

Once the photo is uploaded to any site, right click on it, and copy the URL. Then above the box that you are posting to here, there is a square button that if you look closely is a tree with yellow ground. It highlights as "Insert Image". Click on that, then right click and paste the URL in that box. That will add your photo to your post.

recon
12-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Welcome Fishman6007 to The AK-47 Site!

Fishman6007
12-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Ok. I got the picture in my gallery. Hopefully you can see it. I will be adding more close ups soon so you guys can let me know if I have a nice rifle or not. I will keep the original gas rod since I dont need it for compliance. As for the barrel, it looks like it is threaded, but I couldn't get the muzzle break to fit on it. Aren't these rifles 14mm thread? Thanks.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Mak_90.JPG

imanaknut
12-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Yes the threads are 14x1mm but they are left hand so the old righty-tighty stuff is backwards, as in righty-loosy, lefty-tighty. In other words turn the muzzle device the "wrong" way to turn it on or off. ;)

I added one of your photos to your post. To add them yourself, click on the thumbnail to get the full size picture, then right click on the picture and click on "Copy Image URL" and then return to your post, click on the insert image button above, and paste the URL into that window. Click "OK" and your photo should appear.

Krupski
12-10-2011, 04:07 PM
How many compliance parts does the ATI stock give me?

Here is a list of parts that count towards 922(r):

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods <--- (AK does not have an operating rod)
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnector
(15) Butt stocks
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers

So, the complete ATI stock set (consisting of the rear buttstock and the front handguards) makes TWO US parts (the front two pieces count as "one handguard").

I would recommend against making any magazine mods to get compliance because then you will be "locked" into using your own mags and technically illegal if you borrow someone else's non-modified magazine.

Funny thing is, a regular magazine has 3 countable parts while an evil "baby killing" drum only has two! So, if you were one foreign part over the limit (i.e. had 11 parts), then using an evil drum instead would make you legal!

Just shows you how utterly stupid the law is... a foreign made part kills babies but a US made part is safe. Go figure.

Krupski
12-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Ok. I got the picture in my gallery. Hopefully you can see it. I will be adding more close ups soon so you guys can let me know if I have a nice rifle or not. I will keep the original gas rod since I dont need it for compliance. As for the barrel, it looks like it is threaded, but I couldn't get the muzzle break to fit on it. Aren't these rifles 14mm thread? Thanks.

I edited your picture... imagine how awesome your rifle would look with wood furniture!

http://three-dog.homelinux.com/other/images/Mak_90.JPG

videodon
12-10-2011, 04:45 PM
I edited your picture... imagine how awesome your rifle would look with wood furniture!

Now you've done it Krupski!
:)
Welcome Fishman6007!

.or it can look like my old Mak-90 I "fixed up...
:)
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/videodon/MAK-90-NIB_stock.jpg

Fishman6007
12-10-2011, 05:27 PM
lol at the edited picture. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of the wood too. I just like the Dragunov kit more(must be that cheek rest when firing). So I just want to clarify, I am compliant with the 2 parts I get for the ATI kit and the 3 for the trigger group and I can still use the original mag?
Or do I need 1 more compliant part to be able to use the original mag?

I added more close up pictures to my gallery too.

thanks

imanaknut
12-10-2011, 07:43 PM
You are good to go with any mag you want.

Fishman6007
12-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Good! Because I dont like the plastic Promag one. It doesnt fit right in my Mak.
Thanks for you guys help.