PDA

View Full Version : Storing Food-The Survival Podcast

btcave
08-15-2010, 10:35 PM
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/storing-food-why-how-what
I've listened to this guy for a year. Some good stuff usually.

Ol Dirty Bastard
08-18-2010, 08:37 AM
I've been listening to those podcast off & on for over a year now. My only wish is that he'd tone it down a bit, so that it'd be more likely to convince my family to play along. I know he's always about "the soft sales" when it comes to convincing spouses & family to get on board, and he really isn't that bad, but Elders in my family think he's a nut.

chiak47
08-24-2010, 03:24 AM
This is a little off topic...

What is the general consensus on storing rice? I have over 1000 pounds of white rice sitting in their original packaging (plastic) in my cool and dry basement cellar.
I was thinking of buying some burlap sacks to put the rice in and seal it in some rubbermaid totes.

What do you guys think?

HDR
08-24-2010, 05:32 AM
Buy Mylar bags, after the rice is bagged store it in food grade plastic buckets.

Don't use plastic bags; if the plastic smells; the rice will smell. Don't use non food grade buckets as the releasing compound used in manufacturing is toxic.

Beans, rice and wheat (grain) can be stored for a very long time and you'll need a grinder for the wheat.

printerman
08-24-2010, 07:48 AM
HDR is right on the money with this one ! However as an alternative you can purchase a food sealer and seal individual packets of rice in sizes that you'll be using . Example , one meal for three might be one cup of rice ....

The major problem with sealed foods is once you seal it , treat it good cause seals aren't as bullet proof as people think . Individual bags (sealed) in food-grade pails is a great way to go , as you only open what you use .

The biggest draw-back against rice is having water to cook with ! A resource that may "not" be as available during an emergency as we think !!!

chiak47
08-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks guys. Great info.

How do you guys score hdpe food grade buckets? Get them from bakeries or restaurants or do you have a online source?

The biggest draw-back against rice is having water to cook with ! A resource that may "not" be as available during an emergency as we think !!!

Water is abundant now here in N.WI but you raise a valid point about it not being so abundant 2 years from now.

slamfire51
08-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Speaking of sealed foods, I use a FOOD-SAVER vacuum sealer especially for meats that are going to be frozen. I have sealed hamburger meat in these and 3 yrs later, they still look as good as the day I put them up.

The question I have is, what other perishable foods can be sealed and stored in this type containers? What are the limitations and how do you prepare the pre-cooked for packaging?
I see pre-cooked foods at he grocery in vacuum packed containers, so I know it's possible.

HDR
08-26-2010, 09:34 PM

There is a brook down the hill from me. Its been running for many years. However, primitive man followed the game; if there isn't any water you'll mobe until you find water.

TEOTWAWKI means the end of the world as we know it.