PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning rod mark on breech entrance of barrel.

Austin83
12-19-2011, 12:26 AM
I noticed a very slight groove on the upper entrance of the breech side of the barrel (SAR1).
http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y338/awhendricks/AK2.jpg

It looks like it could be from a cleaning rod, or maybe just a mark from when it was machined. I am usually pretty careful and use a flexible aluminum cleaning rod to avoid any rubbing while cleaning so I assume it was from the previous owner. The groove is very very small, and I was just curious if this was something to worry about or not. I know the AK is designed to be cleaned through the muzzle using the rod and cleaning kit provided, but should I continue to clean it from the breech side with a flexible rod? I'd like to use the cleaning kit like it was intended to be used, but I'd hate to cause any damage to the barrel or muzzle if I don't have to. Thanks in advance.

old Grump
12-19-2011, 02:00 AM
I think it was probably done when they made the barrel, no way can you get that much wear on a steel barrel with an aluminum rod unless you devoted your life and a lot of rods to do it. If it works and I suspect it does then I would not lose any sleep or waste any time worrying about it.

Just guessing but whatever cause it wasn't cleaning procedure.

Krupski
12-19-2011, 03:33 AM
I noticed a very slight groove on the upper entrance of the breech side of the barrel (SAR1).
http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y338/awhendricks/AK2.jpg

It looks like it could be from a cleaning rod, or maybe just a mark from when it was machined. I am usually pretty careful and use a flexible aluminum cleaning rod to avoid any rubbing while cleaning so I assume it was from the previous owner. The groove is very very small, and I was just curious if this was something to worry about or not. I know the AK is designed to be cleaned through the muzzle using the rod and cleaning kit provided, but should I continue to clean it from the breech side with a flexible rod? I'd like to use the cleaning kit like it was intended to be used, but I'd hate to cause any damage to the barrel or muzzle if I don't have to. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Gunsnet! :welcome:

An AK chamber is pretty tough... I seriously doubt that a cleaning rod could hurt it (or make that mark your pic shows).

Anyway, that mark is so tiny... and near the back of the shell casing... it will have absolutely zero effect on the rifle. Don't worry about it one bit.

Again... Welcome! :welcome:

-- Roger

Krupski
12-19-2011, 03:38 AM
You are talking about in the red circle? Cus I dont see anything. Anyone else...maybe younger eyes. I think you could clean an AK with gravel crammed in the barrel and it will still fire each & everytime. :)

There are several videos of guys who take an AK, remove the dust cover, pour a few handfuls of SAND AND DIRT into the receiver and pull the trigger. The dirt goes flying and the rifle just keeps on working.

AK rifles have been dug up out of mud after being there for decades. Kick the rusty bolt open with a boot and the rifle works.

Guys have fired drum after drum from an AK until the handguards burst into flames and finally burned off. Rifle still works.

I've heard that soldiers actually PISS into the receiver to do a quick cleaning.

I personally saw a guy put a 5.56 x 45 (M16 / AR15) round into a 7.62 AK. It fired. The shell expanded and jammed into the chamber and needed the cleaning rod and a rock to whack it out, but it didn't hurt the rifle one bit.

Nothing short of an atomic bomb will hurt an AK. Don't worry about it. The only thing that can stop an AK is an empty magazine.