PDA

View Full Version : Iron sight upgrades.

hawk1911
12-19-2011, 10:05 PM
I finally bought my Mosin a few weeks ago and had a chance to take it out to the range today. As many others rifles on its lowest rear sight elevation it is about 18 inches too high at 100 yards. I have surfed the web and found Mojo adjustable sights for the rear and I believe Smith sights to the front that I am liking so far. I wanted to see if anyone here has them, and if so what you think about them. I want something that is going to give me the most for the money and squeeze everything I can out of the iron sights. I am going only for 100 yards and to be used as back up to the scope that will eventually find a way to be mounted to my liking on it. I would post some pics but no real reason to yet its a standard 91/30 made in 1938 round reciever etc.

Schuetzenman
12-20-2011, 07:09 AM
Never liked the mojo rears. A taller sight post in front will make you shoot lower, or you need a lower rear. On scoping, if it sits over the receiver you will need a bent bolt handle. There are no drill n tap bases that use the rear sight base to attach to, those you have to use a long eye relief scope on as the scope will be a foot from your eye.

hawk1911
12-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Never liked the mojo rears. A taller sight post in front will make you shoot lower, or you need a lower rear. On scoping, if it sits over the receiver you will need a bent bolt handle. There are no drill n tap bases that use the rear sight base to attach to, those you have to use a long eye relief scope on as the scope will be a foot from your eye.

I will surely try the taller front post seems the simplest solution. I was interested in the Mojo to get a peep sight and be able to have a smaller aperture.

The scope is going to have to include some perminant modifications. I will keep iron sights intact and I want a see through scope base to still use while the scope is on. So far I haven't seen anything like that available on the after market.

Josh Smith
12-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Hello,

I like the way you think.

A Mojo rear will hurt your field of view, though. Some folks don't mind that, and some prefer it. I'm not judging the product and won't try to tell you what to like!

In looking at my website, if you go to The Guild and look up Brass Stacker, you will find a Scout Mount that does not replace the rear sight, and allows you to easily mount a scope while keeping the use of the rear sight.

Which one of my sights are you considering?

Regards,

Josh

hawk1911
12-20-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm glad you are a member here too first off, I saw the name and was a little intimidated.

I'm considering sending you mind to have a red fiber optic job done. Now that I have you here I don't see the option but can the fiber optic be adjustable with the hex screw as well?

Josh Smith
12-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Hello,

Absolutely! All my sights are adjustable.

May I ask why you were intimidated by the name? I know I've only been doing this since March or so...

The way I started was my Mosin was shooting high and I know these rifles have potential. Instead of making the usual slip-on fix which would have widened the post too much for my liking, I just threaded the post hole and drilled a set screw.

Folks saw this and wanted me to make it for them, so I began.

Hunters and tactical folks wanted something more visible, so the fiber-optic sights grew out of that need.

The Classic Target is the only one that is threaded. The Po'Boy and the fiber-optics slide up and down and are held in place with the 4-40 set screw. I've tested these to destruction and found that the posts bend before they move, and they don't do either easily with the set screw bearing down on them!

Because I know what these are capable of taking and my belief that they should be at least as tough as the original sights while being adjustable, I do provide a lifetime warranty on them.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Josh

hawk1911
12-20-2011, 07:41 PM
I guess not intimidated but caught off gaurd that the man himself was checking out my post and it was worthy of post 3 and 4 thus far from you. I din't know you were recently new to it. From the buzz on the net I thought you had been around a while. Good to have you here with us I love this sight I have learned a lot. Started out on AK kits but since the parts kits are all but dried up Im trying new low cost, high value projects to work on. The Mosin seems like a great project, I'm having fun so far even though my shoulder is a bit sore.

Josh Smith
12-21-2011, 02:36 AM
Hello,

I actually found this site through your post! :you-rock:

I have Google Notifications set to tell me when certain key words come up, and it zeroed in on you.

Spooky, eh?

A bit of background may be in order: I was trained in gunsmithing by a now-deceased gent. I don't have a diploma or anything like that; just a bunch of tricks he taught me, mostly on .22 rimfire and 1911 pistols. He was of the opinion that if one can work on those two firearms properly, then pretty much anything can be figured out.

I built my daily carry 1911, and I modify my Mosins' trigger pulls in the same manner as did the Finns and the Russian snipers.

I don't sound good on vid, but here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJ2dXKfQXk

and here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwJepyOSE8k&feature=related

Additionally:

http://www.smith-sights.com/tips-and-how-tos.php

"The man himself" is just a regular guy who thought that the existing solutions for Mosins shooting high were unacceptably cheesy, expensive or fragile and set out to correct the problem. I'm nobody special and I'm not rich off this venture. Might be if the economy weren't in the toilet, but I make maybe as much doing this as I would flipping burgers. This is just more fun!

I might get rich off 1911 builds if I ever send in for my FFL. It's currently sitting on top of the TV. I just really don't like the restrictions and the prohibitive insurance necessary to run a gunsmithing business ($2 million for the lifetime of each gun).

But, that's just me!

I enjoy the 1911 (of course) and milsurps most, and see the AR family, most shotguns, and most other handguns as tools. Older revolvers have soul, though!

Regards Sir,

Josh

hawk1911
12-21-2011, 09:08 PM
That some good back round info, I wish I could find a way to make money off this, I'm a hobbiest and have worked on all mine and a few friends and family only. Only teacher has been the Internet.

I will get in contact with you tommorow during regular business hours to arrange payment and shipping.

Josh Smith
12-22-2011, 02:17 AM
What are these regular business hours of which you speak? I find the thought intriguing... ;)

Seriously, I'm sitting here typing this at 2:14am while I'm waiting for bluing to set up on five sights!

Regards,

Josh