PDA

View Full Version : Purchase Opinions

Zarethustra
12-19-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm trying to decide which rifle to purchase. So far I've got a couple of candidates and I'm curious what the will of the people is.

1) RIFLE, YUGO M70 AB2 $799.00
2) SAIGA AK VARIANT $450.00
3) AMD 65 Rifle $400.00

These are from sellers online that I've read people have had good transactions.

If you have other suggestions in this price range, feel free to post them, i'm not too keen on any Romanian WASR's at this point.

I've even contemplated getting 2 and 3 as they add up to about my max budget or getting 2 in a straight up rifle and attempting a conversion down the road.

I would welcome personal experience with any of the above and any other comments.

Thanks for your help.

FCC

imanaknut
12-20-2011, 12:14 AM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

All three rifles you list are very nice.

The problem with the Yugo is the price is way too high. Unless I missed something major in the market, $800 for the M70 is at least $300 too high.

The Saiga is a great rifle, and with the "Made in Russia" stamp makes it nice knowing it came from the homeland of the real AK which our government says we can't buy new.

The AMD-65 is one of my range favorites. Many people complain about the wire stock not being able to give a good "cheek weld", but I learned how to shoot a long time ago without the painful sounding process of welding my cheek to the firearm. Heck, I don't weld my cheek to my Beretta 92 so why should the AMD-65 be any different! :D :D :D Seriously, I like it because it is a super lightweight variant of the AKM and because of that, installing a good old Chinese 100 round drum only brings it up to the weight of a standard AK with standard mag.

Feel free to ask any question you have. It is much easier to find out you shouldn't do something before you do it, not after. Like that Yugo, I am sure you can find it for much less. Check Centerfire Systems or Atlantic Firearms. Not sure if they have any in stock, but if they do they should be much cheaper than what you quoted.

imanaknut
12-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Updated - Just checked Atlantic and they have the Yugo for $799!!! YIKES!!! I am sure it can be found for less.

By the way, to those who have been on this site as long as or longer than me (that is from over 10 years), I hate that button on the lower left when you edit your post, and it just happens to be the last one, and that blue button says "reply to thread" so after editing your post, or if you reply with quotes to the last post, you hit that button and lose everything you just wrote!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexia sux!

Zarethustra
12-21-2011, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the reply. I guess i'm leaning towards the AMD 65 as a nice starter that will be easy to transport.

It is hard to pass on the SAIGA as cheap as the non converted ones are going for.

I'm going to continue to check the retailers for a while and see if the price of the Yugo's goes down. I really do love the look of the wood on them.

El Laton Caliente
12-21-2011, 06:42 AM
Welcome to the board!

If you are mechanically inclined, the standard Saiga converted yourself is the most bang for the buck. You end up with a real Russian AKM. The AMD65 is smaller, lighter and convenent. The Yugos are build like a tank. Really all three are good choices.

Zarethustra
12-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks so much for all of your replies. I'm not sure if I should create another post or just continue here.

It appears that SAIGA stuff is at rock bottom prices now, so now i'm thinking about buying the rifle, the shotgun and my original AMD 65. I got a little Christmas money :)

Of course, I'll probably have law enforcement at my door if I order three weapons at the same time.

Happy Holidays all !

FCC

O.S.O.K.
12-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Wait! Go here for Saiga: http://www.classicarms.us/Saiga.htm $299... can't be beat.

Zarethustra
12-28-2011, 11:57 PM
Have any of you actually shot the SAIGA 12 Gauge ? I wasn't really looking for a shotgun, but the prices seem hard to pass up. One of my local dealers was excited to be selling it for 900.00, so the 499 price seems pretty good.

I'm curious if anybody has opinions on the shotgun.

Zarethustra
01-22-2012, 10:16 PM
I went ahead and purchased the AMD-65.
I received it last weekend and we took it out on an uncharactiristely warm Sunday to try it out, all I can say is wow!

If you haven't shot one of these, it's a lot of fun, the shockwave you feel standing next to the gun alone is worth the price of admission.

I had some initial issues inserting the poly magazine correctly, but we figured it out and after that no issues.

Thanks for all of your advice.