PDA

View Full Version : A water source

Helen Keller
08-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Here's one I've never seen mentioned.

Let's say you got Electricity BUT the water supply has been corrupted or stopped.

What's wrong with drawing the water from a dehumidifier ????????????

Mine pumps out about 6 gallons a day. Way more than enough for drinking supply.

08-16-2010, 04:48 PM
That would be great if you live in a humid environment. It takes a lot of energy to wring that water out of the air.
I've seen some large HVAC units at AMD dumping what I estimated to be around 6gpm out the condensate drain pan. The 100% OSA unit we were working on in Okinawa last week was wringing out about 2-3gpm, but that was with the RH hovering at about 75%.

No one is going to get that sort of volume in arid climates.

Something else to consider is that often times the condensate drain pan is filled with microbial contamination...I've seen some nasty crapolla living in those things.

El Jefe
08-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Good idea, tho cleanliness would be important.

I run two in my basement shop to keep it bone dry and dump 4 to 5 gallons of water per day. No reason not to drink it as long as it isn't contaminated.

Helen Keller
08-16-2010, 06:02 PM
maybe running a tube from the output valve right into clean water containers???

ATAK, Inc.
08-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Unfortunately that will be a bit difficult in Las Vegas. It's arid here during the wet season! After that, it gets real dry!

In Idaho my well is tapped into an aquafer the only has a dozen or so wells in it. It starts at about 80' and bottoms out at 160'. Some of the best water I've ever had! Wish I could bottle it!

El Jefe
08-16-2010, 07:15 PM
maybe running a tube from the output valve right into clean water containers???

It would sure beat dying of thirst as long as you don't poison yourself, which should be easy to avoid.

azhonkey
08-16-2010, 08:24 PM
we don't get much condensation here in arizona.i'd have to drink out of the pool.:anim_beer-1:

Paladin
08-22-2010, 11:49 AM
...What's wrong with drawing the water from a dehumidifier.

Nothing. Just like continuing to think your way through a thing. Keep thinking.

I have a portable, gravity operated filter that will make 13 gallons a day. It will filter out most stuff except for things like diesel. The filters are good for about 39K gallons.

If somebody steals it, I look for water from a dehumidifier now...

JTHunter
08-24-2010, 11:03 PM
What's wrong with drawing the water from a dehumidifier ?

Ever hear of "Legionaire's Disease"? It was caused by a bacteria found to be living in the cooling water of older drip type hirise A/C units. If you do this, disinfect with bleach first, filter, then boil to get rid of the bleach and everything else. Then, while still warm to hot, pour into clean NON-FRAGILE containers and seal.

Paladin
08-25-2010, 12:57 AM
Ever hear of "Legionaire's Disease"? It was caused by a bacteria found to be living in the cooling water of older drip type hirise A/C units. If you do this, disinfect with bleach first, filter, then boil to get rid of the bleach and everything else. Then, while still warm to hot, pour into clean NON-FRAGILE containers and seal.

Yeah, bad bug. If boiling is not possible, put the water in clear plastic bottles and hang in direct sunlight for a day. UV exposure will kill the bugs...

HDR
08-25-2010, 06:56 AM
That is the Sodis (SOlar water DISinfection) method.

http://www.sodis.ch/methode/index_EN

The SODIS method consists of filling clear plastic water bottles with water and capping them. The bottles are then placed on their sides on a shiny aluminum sheet to reflect the sunlight and angled toward the sun.

It works well; however, it does not remove heavy metal or chemical pollution.

Paladin
08-25-2010, 10:05 AM
That is the Sodis (SOlar water DISinfection) method.

http://www.sodis.ch/methode/index_EN

The SODIS method consists of filling clear plastic water bottles with water and capping them. The bottles are then placed on their sides on a shiny aluminum sheet to reflect the sunlight and angled toward the sun.

It works well; however, it does not remove heavy metal or chemical pollution.

Tanks for the link. I'll update my technique...

HDR
08-25-2010, 11:58 AM
http://tilz.tearfund.org/Publications/Footsteps+51-60/Footsteps+51/Ideas+for+purifying+water.htm

There's a little more detail here.