PDA

View Full Version : Those who used Tapco flats

fordtrucksforever
12-31-2011, 09:23 PM
I had purchased a dozen flats from Tapco about 6 years ago. These needed the top rails bent. I noticed the lower rails set about 0.335" below top rail at center support. Measuring front trunnion the lower rail should be close to 0.280". With the loose fit of both center rivet and hammer pin the right side rail can angle up to front trunnion and measures at 0.285". This is close, but dont like the amount of angle to achieve alignment to trunnion. I had assembled several back then and all required rails to be bent up in order to feed the ammunition without jamming and eject shell. More recently I purchased another batch of Tapco flats with top rails already bent. I was hoping a little better fit on everything. Since me bending the flats into receivers doesnt change anything in relation to top rails, I noticed these had the same dimensions as above on the older ones I bent top rails myself. I was hoping not having to elongate the holes in both rails for them to run parallel with top. I know there are zillions of Tapco flats put to use, wondering what others have done.

AK-Karl
01-06-2012, 12:31 AM
I don't worry about the rivet holes in the lower rails.
I measure the front trunnion at the point marked with the red arrows in this picture.
http://i34.tinypic.com/vy62qx.jpg
And set my lower rails that distance down from the top rails. I use a drill bit as close to that measurement as I can find to hold the rails parallel, then spot weld them in.
Drill, file, or ream the rivet holes in the lower rails to match the holes in the receiver after spot welding.