PDA

View Full Version : 7.62 vs. 5.45

halfcircle
01-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Hello. I am new to this forum and AK's in general. I am building my personal arsenal (before more of our rights are tread upon...) and I'm looking for a nice "starter" AK. I was leaning towards a WASR 7.62, but was reading around on this forum and saw a few people with much more experience than I suggesting that perhaps a 5.45 (AK-74?) is a better choice for someone like me who does not intend to own enough weaponry to handle WWIII on my own. I want to own a nice variety of weapons to be able to defend my home and family, not the entire state of Michigan. Also, quite frankly, with the state of the economy here in the REAL mitten state (nice try Wisconsin...), I quite honestly can't afford a bunch of different guns just for the sake of owning them. I have also discovered that I enjoy shooting the guns that I have, but no one seems to be giving ammo away these days. So please, help me make an informed decision. I appreciate your suggestions and opinions regarding both caliber and brand. Thanks in advance!!

imanaknut
01-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

It really is a hard choice between the two primary AK calibers. While there is more 7.62x39 available, prices have gotten crazy lately. 5.45x39 is still plentiful and much cheaper than 7.62x39 but your choices are very limited.

Honestly, either are great for enjoying the AK style weapon. My 2 cents is how easy is it for you to find your ammo of choice? Mail order almost makes it a moot point.

Check Atlantic Firearms for a really good selection of AK style rifles at reasonable prices.

Just remembered, steer clear of side and underfolders since you are in Michigan. Your unconstitutional and different than ATF overall length laws make anything under 30 inches long a pistol if I remember correctly, therefore in Michigan an AK underfolder has to be licensed as a pistol. Crazy???

El Laton Caliente
01-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Welcome to the Board!!!

There are several factors in this choice.

1. Ammo. Readily available for both right now. The really cheap ammo is corrosive surplus. Corrosive is not a problem IF you clean the rifle properly with soap and water to get ride of the primer salts, then dry and clean as normal. 7.62 has only a little Yugo surplus. left right now. 5.45 has surplus from several sources and is cheaper. Any cost difference in rifles may be made up in ammo if you buy several thousand rounds. Non-corrosive steel case is realitively cheap also for both rifles but there is not going to be as large a price difference.

2. Accuracy. The 5.45 IN GENERAL is a little more accurate depending on rifle and ammo.

3. Weight. 5.45 weighs less and you can carry more.

4. Mags. Right now 5.45 mags are running a little higher.

5. Penetration. 7.62 wins this one hands down.

6. Hunting. 7.62 has 30-30 balistics while 5.45 is more a .222. The 7.62 makes a better deer rifle, but grandpa killed a LOT of deer with a well placed .22LR.

7. Recoil. If your woman is shooting it she will like the 5.45 better most likely.

If you can go rent or borrow and shoot both. See what you like. Next figure total cost of rifle, mags, accessories and a few thousand rounds to store. Then decide.

saleen
01-08-2012, 09:13 PM
I have both, but seem to shoot the 5.45 more these days. Then again, I purchased them when the ammo was crazy cheap and the mags were half the price they are now....

I have noticed that when I bring folks to the range, the 5.45 AK is the one that they seem to gravitate to even more than my pretty tricked out AR15. The corrosive clean up is the only down side, but I'm pretty used to that by now so I don't really worry about it any more.

El Laton is dead right on the accuracy. My SGL31-94 is much more accurate than any of the 7.62x39 AKs I own (and I own several). Whether that is more a function of the caliber or the gun, I'm not sure, but I'll let you know when I manage to snag an Arsenal SGL21-94 :bigsmilebounce:

Saleen