PDA

View Full Version : Bipods... I've had enough and am doing something about it.

Integratedj
01-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Seriously, the prices on these cheaply made, poorly fitting, ugly as sin and minimally useful Russian, and their some how more cheaply made but barely less expensive chinese knockoffs is pathetic. Crap ass pot metal shit sticks sold to people who won't take the time to make something better is all they are.
Well, I've had enough of that game. Last weekend I tested both the Russian and hex bipods out, thankfully before buying them and determined they are not worth the time, effort, or money involved in locating and purchasing them (the hex product kept loosening up and moving around. It is a toy, not a gun part meant for real world use. If it couldn't standup to shooting 20 rds from a nice smooth concrete surface while prone, it can't holdup to uneven terrain and repeated firings). So, I am doing something that should have been done a long ass time ago when dragunovparts.com was making other things (yes it was cool stuff, but not really neccessary stuff)and should have been making... A bipod adapter. Yes, a hell of a long time coming I know. Wtf.

Anyways, it is in the design phase and will be completed by the end of this week, mid next week. It will be a picatinny rail with an adapter made to clamp onto our existing receiver cuts. It will extend a short distance out underneath the front hand guards and will give as much magazine clearance as is possible

The first idea was to simply make an adapter with a curved bottom to mimic a rifle stock with a sling swivel installed. This would have worked great and kept a flowing design to compliment the lines of the SVD, but limited you to using Harris bipods only, and limiting what you can do with them. By changing it to a picatinny rail it opens up other brands as options, as well as all of the different adapters including Harris' new rotating adapter.

The prototype will be done soon, and then I can determine what a run of them would cost me to have machined up if there is enough interest. Once it is completed, I will have pics up here for you all. Hopefully a bulk run can be done at a price point that works for shooters.

Pics as soon as it is in my hands.

Integratedj
01-02-2012, 02:01 PM
http://www.rusmilitary.com/images/bipod_svd.jpgAre you talking about these bi-pods? or the air-soft ones?

I'm talking about the Russia military one, the hexagon one, and all the airsoft versions not being worth a fraction of the price they are commanding. If they all cost around $15 it would make sense since that is the quality level they offer. I am talking about being able to use a Harris, versapod, accupod, or any other one you want on a drag with no perminent modifications to the rifle. Just think, an adjustable bipod with no slop, no slipping, no breaking, and no legs falling out the bottom cause there's no built in leg stop. No more hunting the net like crazy and spending rediculs amounts on a foreign made chunk of only semi useful blah.

Integratedj
01-29-2012, 01:49 PM
I got the mount last week and was able to test it yesterday using a GG&G harris bipod rail adapter and a Harris 6-9" swivel bipod. Solid. That's about the best way to describe it. No wobble. I actually enjoyed shooting the drag and not worrying if my rest I was using was putting any pressure on the barrel. While standing the folded bipod legs actually give you a stable grip that doesn't put any pressure on the hand guards either. I also tried it leaning across a fence on the bipod legs and it was a great rest.

We used a bolt on 1913 rail for this one, to make things faster for testing. The rail was left long so I could try different bipod positions. The extended portion may be cut off later after I shoot with it some more. It'll just depend on how it feels in different spots.
I am also going to try shooting with a 3-6" Harris in april to see how I like it. This current one is too tall for prone shooting when combined with the mount distance.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7157/6783350129_76e152373c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7029/6783350911_62e13962bb.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7169/6783349051_7fa71f2fc0.jpg

This will be hard anodized sometime next week now that I know the mount itself is stable on the rifle receiver. It didn't shift at all. One thing I really appreciate them doing was putting a radius on all of the edges. There isn't one sharp contact point.
I don't know if this shop would have the time to do a run of these for sale, but I will be asking that, and what pricing would be if others are interested. I am also going to see how hard it would be to do future units with the rail simply machined into the mount to cut down on parts and screws used to attach a bipod.

Now if only I could make friends with a poly stock maker to get us US made Synthetic drag stocks without needing Lube to buy one.

greeenie
01-30-2012, 01:23 PM
I got the mount last week and was able to test it yesterday using a GG&G harris bipod rail adapter and a Harris 6-9" swivel bipod. Solid. That's about the best way to describe it. No wobble. I actually enjoyed shooting the drag and not worrying if my rest I was using was putting any pressure on the barrel. While standing the folded bipod legs actually give you a stable grip that doesn't put any pressure on the hand guards either. I also tried it leaning across a fence on the bipod legs and it was a great rest.

We used a bolt on 1913 rail for this one, to make things faster for testing. The rail was left long so I could try different bipod positions. The extended portion may be cut off later after I shoot with it some more. It'll just depend on how it feels in different spots.
I am also going to try shooting with a 3-6" Harris in april to see how I like it. This current one is too tall for prone shooting when combined with the mount distance.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7157/6783350129_76e152373c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7029/6783350911_62e13962bb.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7169/6783349051_7fa71f2fc0.jpg

This will be hard anodized sometime next week now that I know the mount itself is stable on the rifle receiver. It didn't shift at all. One thing I really appreciate them doing was putting a radius on all of the edges. There isn't one sharp contact point.
I don't know if this shop would have the time to do a run of these for sale, but I will be asking that, and what pricing would be if others are interested. I am also going to see how hard it would be to do future units with the rail simply machined into the mount to cut down on parts and screws used to attach a bipod.

Now if only I could make friends with a poly stock maker to get us US made Synthetic drag stocks without needing Lube to buy one.

something like this would be nice. im sick of my barrel clamp on bipod as i cant keep my cleaning rod installed with its location.

ATAK, Inc.
01-30-2012, 02:53 PM
IJ, real nice work! I have one of the Russian commercial bipods and the fix I found to work was to coat the lugs in a brush on rubber compound. Mine, while not rock solid, is pretty tight and works well. Let me know how much as I might be interested.

something like this would be nice. im sick of my barrel clamp on bipod as i cant keep my cleaning rod installed with its location.

Greenie, this is for SVD/TIGER/NDM-86 rifles, not PSL's, no cuts in the receiver as with the SVD rifle.

WESTONSECURITY
03-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Any updates on this? What has the cost been so far?

Integratedj
05-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Any updates on this? What has the cost been so far?

It was free. It is looking like it'll be a one off custom for now as their shop is more in the business of filling gov contracts than niche rifle parts. I still need to have it annodized, but so far it is very solid and great to shoot from.

It has made this into a whole different rifle or me as far as usefulness goes.